Thursday, September 24, 2009

Thank you! (And some advice for new bandsters)

You guys make me feel so great with all of your nice comments! I got completely choked up reading the messages everyone posted in response to my post yesterday. We are definitely all in this together, and all of your encouragement, support and sharing of your own experiences has really helped me to stay strong and focused over the past 11 months.
-
For anyone who is starting this process, my advice is to:
-
1. Take your measurements right away;
2. Take a bunch of full-length "before" photos;
3. Give serious thought to who you are going to tell about your surgery (and who is going to turn out to be the "food police" or otherwise be a source of negativity that you don't want);
4. Get active on lapbandtalk.com (so much great advice and support on that site); and
5. Start your own blog or journal and/or start following all the bandster blogs that you like. It is so encouraging and helpful to know that you are not in this alone, and to have a network of other bandster friends.
-
One more thing . . . my mother pointed out to me yesterday that I have lost over a YARD in inches!!! WOW!! (And that's just from the points that I measure!) A yard people. . . THREE FEET. That is so crazy! :)

11 comments:

Sarah said...

And amazing when you think about it that way! Here is another calculation to take... what percentage of your body have you lost? I'm up to 20%... can't wait to get to 25% lost!

Gen said...

I missed your post yesterday! Congratulations!!! It is just amazing.

Unknown said...

Congratulations and thanks for all your postings. I have been following you blog since I was banded on Augut 18. I cannot tell you how valuable your comments and advice were to me in that rough first week. You also brought up something yesterday that has been bothering me. My surgeon told me more than once to expect only a 30% to 50% weight loss ( I am sure this was for liability reasons ). This was very discouraging to hear. After following your and others blogs I feel more optimistic and I too question the statistics. I am not a math genius but perhaps it has something to do with using a average weightloss rather than a range or mean. If one person loses 100% of their excess weight and another loses 20%, then the resulting average fails to take into consideration the complete success of the first person. Just some thoughts.

Anyway, thanks for posting and thanks for the inspiration.

Catherine55 said...

Sarah -- great idea! I just figured out that I lost 26% of my body weight! That is 1/4 of my start weight. Holy you-know-what!

Catherine

mommy said...

Catherine,I am beyond impressed with you. Major inspiration. Your determination with respect to exercise and diet is not universal amongst bandsters which also plays into the stats.

seckert08 said...

I missed reading your post yesterday but I am so excited for you! What an amazing transformation. You help me dare to hope that I can be as successful as you have been! Your being open and willing to share with newer bandsters is greatly appreciated!

Brooke said...

Three feet- wow- never thought of it that way :-)

I agree re: surgeon's projections for weight loss.

I belong to a support group and most of the ppl there are "old" bandsters with 3 or more years out. All of them have reached goal. Most of them have lost a MINIMUM of 100 lbs.

It gives me hope.

Amy W. said...

Catherine-I wanted to ask you if you have been approached by email or post by people saying they read your blog and wanting you to provide a link to their product page, etc? If so, what are your thoughts? I dont want to link a product I have no idea about. You can email if ya want at amy.workman@gmail.com

MB said...

Congrats, Catherine!!!!!!!!

I hope you keep writing when you get to goal!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Catherine, thanks for this "how to intro". I've recently made the decision to get a band, and have my appointments scheduled. (NYU) As a fellow lawyer, I am an obsessive researcher, but I have to say, reading your blog has been a pleasure and an inspiration. I've read the whole thing in the past few days! Congrats on 60 lbs! What a huge achievement.
Also, it is great to read about someone who goes to the same restaurants I go to, loves to cook and entertain, and does it all with a band - that was my biggest fear, that one of my favorite pastimes, "foodyism", would become a thing of the past.
Good job, and look forward to more blog!

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

YOu are so right! And your welcome! and thank you for your support as well!!!