Me in the elevator of my hotel. Channeling Vermeer. .
One night, I stayed out pretty late Latin dancing with some people from a friend's firm in Canada. There was one guy there who I danced with a lot. . he was really cute, tall and in great shape. The next night, we had a drink together with some other friends, and he and I had dinner together, just the two of us. I knew he was probably a bit younger than me, but hadn't really thought about it. Cut to me finding out that he was 25 years old!! 14 years younger than me!! Born in 1984, the year I entered high school. But I felt pretty fabulous that someone so young was hitting on me! :)I may know a few people who should wear that sign too! 
Where is the VIP Hooker Entrance?

Where is the VIP Hooker Entrance?

In other news, a blogger friend of mine was recently outed to her boss through someone who reads her blog. It doesn't sound like this was done maliciously at all. It just sounds like a case of speaking without giving any thought to the impact that could have for the blogger, her privacy, and her relationship to her boss. At least in this case, the boss knew about the surgery, so it wasn't as much of a disaster as it might have been. But, he didn't know about the blog, and now that he does, she had to go back and edit earlier posts, and it also is going to impact how open my friend can be in the future, which is a shame for all of us who love her blog.
-
Anyway, I just wanted to encourage everyone who reads bandster blogs to keep in mind that many of us are very private about our surgery -- and that even those bandsters who are open about surgery probably do not let everyone read their blogs. We all really put a lot of intensely personal information out there, and it's generally intended only for other bandsters and our nearest & dearest.
-
I know this all goes without saying for 99% of bandsters. But, if you happen to realize that you know someone who knows another bandster through work or personal contacts, please don't tell them that the connection you have is the common surgery, unless you cleared it with the other person first. And, of course, if the bandster is a blogger, please don't tell the other person that the blog exists, and definitely do not give them the link!
-
I'm still blown away by that outing. So uncool!!

24 comments:
I agree...being outed like that sucks, especially having to censor yourself. One a brighter note, does your having dinner with a 25 year old classify you as a "cougar"? :) Glad to know you had a good time and what an ego boost!
Scary. We are all so trusting and open and I'd hate to lose that! Thanks for sharing.
Well, you look beautiful! No doubt a younger guys wants to take you out. Glad you had a good time.
That's really too bad. We do all kind of trust that this little blog bubble won't get popped by anyone so it is scary when it does. Yikes! Love the pictures!
I feel very guarded about my blog and have only told one person that I know "in person" how to find it. Even though everyone knows that I had the surgery, they don't need to know my feelings about it and why. I'm a cougar too, my husband graduated highschool the year I got married the first time, oh well, it works for us, although not as big a gap. You look fabulous by the way!
Wow...I can't believe that happened! I'm terrified of being outed because I am one of those people who is very private about my surgery. Thanks for mentioning this etiquette point!
I'm sorry to hear about the blog problems; I'm sure it wasn't malicious but it's upsetting and unnerving all the same. I try to be mindful that what I put on my blog is going *out there* all over the Internet, but it's such a nice group around here that it's easy to get too trusting.
Catherine - great, great, point!!! Thanks for reminding all of us on it. And, you look wonderful! Just gorgeous... Yay for you! Especially with the boy! (yes, boy)
Which entrance did you use?
So should we just start calling you Cougar now? Way to go!
Great blog - as the Unknown Bander it is much appreciated! I'm still afraid someone will find me on here and put two and two together by the content of my blog - how paranoid is that? But it was uncool to have someone out another's blog.
Catherine, although I rarely post a comment, I follow your wonderful blog, religiously. I was banded a few months before you were and I am extremely private about it. I am so grateful to you for sharing your journey with those of us who are too chicken. I think your reminder is great for all blog readers. And I LOVE the "cougar" dress. Go get 'em!
First of all, you look FANTASTIC! You are so thin and beautiful. No wonder 25 year olds are hitting on you. Second of all, thanks for the reminder about blog etiquette. It is hard to remember that our blogs are public sometimes.
Well said. I only told a handful of people about my surgery and not a soul about my blog, so if that situation happened to me, I would be devastated. I hope everyone takes your advice.
Off topic question, but I read somewhere on one of your posts or something that you take 2 flintstones vitamins every day. I was curious why you took 2 because my bottle says 1 is an adult serving. Should I be taking 2 like you do?
Excellent BLOG! Any cuties from Canada!
I sometimes forget that my blog and my links to other people's blogs are really just out there to be found. I work with two other band bloggers and the three of us are coming to Chicago together. I think because the three of us are often talking together people at work put it together and realized I was having the surgery. It wasn't something I really wanted to be public knowledge but it happened. I would be furious if someone gave my blog link to someone I know. My parents don't even know about my Lap Band. Thanks for stating it so well.
Hey Catherine,
Long time no talk :)
What an incredible photo of you, first up. You look so darn thin!!!! Doesn't surprise you are reeling in the younger guys.
I also understand what you're getting at with the 'outings.' It's a scary thought - I think we all get on so well on here that its easy to let your guard down. A bit scary I would say at the best of times at the thought of discovery.
I would have love to meet up while you were in Boston! That is a shame these are personal blogs and sad she will have to think before she posts!
Hey hot bish in the elevator! :) No wonder a 25 yr old was hitting on you! You are like the next "Mrs. Kutcher". You made some good points about the blog privacy. I put myself way out there...and would be horrified to find out that my boss or someone I didn't want to read it was reading it!
Oh dear....that really really scares me....I don't want to be outed and I certainly don't want anyone in my real life reading my blog. Any chance you could kinda explain how she got outed??? It happened to you too didn't it??? You look great and congrats on the date...awesome
that really is unfortunate especially since now her blog will be censured. It the openness and honesty of all the bloggers I read that draws me in and helps me to stay positive and hopefull about the decesion I have made. It's their honesty about all the pitfalls in their journeys that lets me know I can get through them also. I'm sad about your friend being outed and that she is losing a place to voice what she cannot voice in public.
I also agree. One mistake I made was telling my mom about my blog. That meant that I couldn't bitch about her. :/ However, since I have a map on mine showing who is checking out my blog, I think she has stopped visiting as I don't see any hits from ehr town.
@Janelle -- My doctor told me to take 2, so I've just been doing that, even though the bottle says that 1 is enough.
@GirlBandit -- The out-er is also banded and was having brunch with the boss's wife. She mentioned that she really liked my friend's blog and asked the wife if the blogger is the same bandster who works with her husband.
LOL re cougar! :) Too funny! My Canadian friend just found & friended me on FB. . awww. . :)
Post a Comment