Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cooking with Catherine: Thai Green Curry Chicken

I made this really easy recipe the other night after work (it was quick & easy to do), and was really happy with how it turned out! It was at least as good as I've ever had from a delivery place! I think that next time, I might add in some bamboo shoots or some more veggies (eggplant and/or green beans, maybe) for texture.


The recipe below is just for the sauce -- I also made basmati rice to have with it, and it was absolutely delicious. The chicken was very tender after simmering in the sauce, and the sauce also helped it to be band-friendly...

Ingredients:

* 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes

* 1 tbs dark soy sauce

* 1 tbs all-purpose flour

* 2 tbs cooking oil (I used olive oil)

* 2 tbs green curry paste

* 2 green onions with tops, chopped

* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped

* 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped

* 2 cups light coconut milk (I just used 1 can)

* 1 tbs fish sauce

* 1 tbs dark soy sauce

* 2 tbs white sugar

* 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish


What to do:

1. Toss chicken first in 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce, then in the flour, coating pieces evenly. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken in the skillet, cook and stir chicken until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove chicken.

2. Reduce heat to medium and stir in curry paste. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant, then stir in green onions, garlic, and ginger; cook an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to the skillet, stirring to coat with the curry mixture. Stir the coconut milk, fish sauce, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and sugar into the chicken-curry mixture. Allow to simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes until the chicken is tender. Serve garnished with cilantro leaves.

I used my big wok for this... I kind of use it for everything -- best pan ever!

9 comments:

Dawnya said...

That looks delicious. I am printing the recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Island Bandit said...

looks delish. i love indian food but since getting my band am not able to partake of spicy food anymore.... :( but this looks flavourful rather than spicy. I'm gonna have to try this one

Theresa said...

That is my favorite dish, thanks for sharing! It looks so good!

Steph said...

You definitely need to do more "Cooking with Catherine". I'm not a fan of curry, but this looks really good and I am always looking to try new things!

MB said...

Yum! I'm glad you've done another C with C post! I love these!

Amanda said...

I love LOVE making green curry! I make it with what ever veggies I have on hand but my fav are green beans and sugar snap peas with a few slices of red pepper! I steam them in the microwave for about 3 minutes just to soften them a tiny bit. I also love to add a little bit of pineapple!

MandaPanda said...

Looks delicious! Will definitely be trying this one.

Deb said...

I made this last night, and it was SO GOOD!!!! It will be in regular dinner rotation from now on. :-)

Nicole said...

Yummmy! Come cook for me :)