Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Lots of Parties, Not So Many Posts!

Hi there! I've been posting less lately, mainly because I've been so busy, between work and life in general. But, it's been a lot of fun!

It was Steve's birthday last week, so I organized a get together at a rooftop bar to celebrate. It was a gorgeous day and around 100 friends came out to celebrate. I arranged for some hors d'oeuvres and a yummy cake (yellow cake, chocolate icing), and the party went really well!


With two of my oldest and dearest friends, B and N

On the rooftop with E, B and Marjorie!

I actually wore a dress that I got from Rent the Runway. It's a Lela Rose dress that retails for about $1,200, and I was able to rent it for around $150. They let me have it in two sizes, and the 8 worked perfectly!


Unfortunately, at one point in the night, the heavens opened up, and we had a TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR for about 15 minutes! We got absolutely soaked!! Even though there was a covered part of the roof, the rain was coming in sideways, by the bucket! Here is the birthday boy, dripping with water!

Happily, it didn't last too long and everyone got back to enjoying the terrace as soon as it ended!


On Friday, as a b-day treat, Steve and I went up to a bluegrass festival in the Catskill Mountains, then continued up to his parents' house in the Adirondacks for his dad's 70th b-day celebration. We got in some hiking, some tennis, and plenty of celebrating. I met much more of the extended family, and everyone was great.


Pre-party cocktails by the river.

Steve played guitar at the party with a friend.... just behind this hideous frog gnome that someone got his dad as a joke! All in all, life is really good. I'm so happy with Steve, and this summer has been a blast. I'm still having trouble juggling my schedule, and I've definitely been in less touch with my friends and family who live out of town than I'd prefer to be.


It's also been hard to get as much exercise as I usually do, since we're out of town every weekend. And... as of this morning, my scale is up 4.6 pounds from my maintenance norm of 148 (I'm still under my goal, but I'm closer to it than I'd like to be). So, I'm going to dial back the sweets and see what I can do to get an extra workout in. I'm actually going to stay in town this weekend (though Steve invited me out to the Hamptons) to get in some down time and my usual two workouts. I did not work this hard to get to my goal to screw it up now, especially since my band is working just fine.

Another weird thing I've noticed is that I developed an allergy or two during the last six months to a year. I seem to be allergic to my cat now, and to be allergic to a few other things. Basically, I wake up stuffed up every day. I'm wondering if this might be band-related. I had another bandster friend who (sorry.. hope you're not eating) said that she was a little phlegmy (squirm squirm...) post-band and that her doctor said it was likely band-related. I guess it doesn't go down the way it would have before? Have any of you experienced anything like this?

15 comments:

Jen said...

So good to see you and hear about your summer. You look radiant, as always.

Theresa said...

Catherine, I seem to have a runny nose all the time now, it's strange. I have to have kleenex with me at all times. You look great and I'm so happy for you!

Lap Band Gal said...

Fun photos! You look amazing! :)

I wake up in the mornings more "phlegmy" that pre-band. I take a claritin every night and this seems to take care of 80% it...I actually use this to my advantage...if I want increased restriction the next day, I just don't take my claritin. Weird, but it works....go figure.

Jacquie said...

I am heading to Long Island tomorrow for the week and will be at a party in Sag Harbor on Saturday night. Too bad you are staying in the city, we could have met up!

I am so happy that you are having a great summer and things are going so well for you with Steve! He just looks like a great guy Catherine and we all know he has himself a great girl!

About the allergy's, I don't know if its band related but I've noticed that my ears get clogged so much more often in the last year or so, especially after I exercise.

MandaPanda said...

What a fun night!

I saw my allergies get worse as I packed on the weight so I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Incidentally, I also started gaining weight when I met my hubby because it gets a lot harder to juggle exercise with time with the "love of my life." Good for you for catching it early and taking steps to keep it in check.

tagyourit said...

Looks like a fun party! The dress is great.

Christine said...

You are looking fantastic!! And you look so happy!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net

Beth Ann said...

What a fun deal on the dress!! It looks fab!

Sarah said...

As usual, so happy you are so happy!!! I can't find your email, but will send one in the next few days to your chronicle addy... Would love to connect with you and Jen if we can when we are in NYC!!!

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

So glad you are enjoying life and having a wonderful summer!

Stephanie M. said...

I'm so glad you're happy! As for allergies, I developed food allergies which I NEVER had before. Not sure if you saw this on my blog, but I put pictures up: http://electricladyband.blogspot.com/2010/12/off-topic-and-bit-gross.html - and we discovered that it was an MSG allergy. I also can't eat nitrates anymore or I get brain-throbbing headaches (sausage and bacon - other than the nitrate-free stuff - makes me ill). I also need allergy pills frequently because I get so stuffy and sinus-headachy that I can't stand it. This is ALL new to me. My doctor's theory is that we store so much junk in the fat cells that all of a sudden I released that stuff into my system and I had an overload reaction. Either that or I am just so much smaller that lesser amounts of the allergens affect me so much more strongly. Good luck figuring it out!

Dawnya said...

You look amazing. I'm so glad your are happy in your new relationship.

Keep that smile. I love it.

Gen said...

OOH pretty dress! Do I detect a more preppy style these days? Way less black for you it seems? You look great in these colors!

Heather said...

That really is a fab party dress! It was the first thing i noticed in the pic. And a 100 people for a party in NYC...I'm impressed you found a great space! Sounds like life is a blast for you these days!

Heather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com

meandmygizmo said...

You look awesome and sound so happy!! I'm so happy for you! You have more than rocked the band!! ;-)