OK. Here goes. . . .GET YOUR CUTE A$$ INTO THE GYM!!!!!
OK... OK... so that's not really a secret. But it really IS the secret to getting to goal and staying there. And, it doesn't have to be a gym.. but you'd better get some type of exercise program in place if you want to go all the way with your band and stay there.
Let's talk numbers. On October 23, 2011 -- just three months from now -- I will hit my THIRD bandiversary. I hit goal more than a year ago, on April 5, 2010. Since then, I dropped nearly ten more pounds for an all-time low of 145.2. Guess what? It's hard for me to stay at that weight, so my scale tends to bounce between 148 and 151-point-something. This morning, I weighed -- within 2/10ths of a pound -- what I weighed on July 1, 2010. I feel really good about that. For the first time -- EVER -- I have some confidence that the clothes I bought for this summer are going to fit me next summer.

It hasn't felt like hard work through this past year to maintain my weight. Why do I say that? Well, even though I've been working out consistently, and I do pay attention to what I eat .. especially when the scale gives me a number in the 150s, all of this has become pretty normal to me. It's not hard anymore. I also have been very fortunate not to have any problems with my band, thank God. I still weigh myself every day, pre-shower and post-loo. It still keeps me on the straight and narrow.
I never thought I'd get to this point, but exercise has become a part of my life. If you want proof that this didn't come easily for me, flip back through my first six months of posts and see how many talk about how badly I feel that I can't seem to motivate to go to the gym. At some point, that changed, and I stick with it because it makes me feel good, the workouts I do are ton of fun (spinning at S-o-u-l-c-y--c-l--e and yoga, mainly), and I like how working out makes my body look.
I've been at goal for long enough that I sometimes wonder if people read my blog and think I was never fat, or never really struggled with my weight. That's not the case at all. I struggled with it every single day from as long as I can remember until I got my band. And, I started this process at 230 pounds, with a BMI of 37.
Here is a photo of me from September of 2007, just about a year before I got banded. And trust me, the fact that I didn't delete this photo or crop out everything but my face means it's a really flattering one. Check out my arm.
Here is a photo that I took of myself after my workout tonight. Check out my arm. ... And... Welcome to the Gun Show! If I can do it, you can do it. Heck, a bunch of you already have.

31 comments:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post :) Exercise is SOOOOOOOOO important!
Catherine you are awesome. I love that you offered to buddy up with someone for their first class.
You are absolutely right about what it takes. Thanks for continuing to share your journey.
golden advice! You are awesome for posting this and for being such a positive and inspiring role model!
Catherine, this post is exactly what I needed to read! I am just past 10 months out from surgery (wow, where did the time go???) and while I'm losing, I definitely need to start adding in the exercise.
I'm in NYC, and would love to work out! Your fitness level is prob WAY better than mine, though...if you are at all interested, please email me at talesfromtheband at gmail.
Dangit, Catherine! I thought you were going to give us a secret like a new diet drug or a shocking revelation that if we only eat the BLUE jellybeans that the weight will fall off with no effort. Are you saying that we have to...eat less and move more? Even with the band? You just ruined my night. ;-)
YOU ARE RIGHT...........THE DAYS I WORK OUT ARE THE DAYS I LOSE!!
Thanks for this post! You are an inspiration!
I RSS your blog onto my LJ, so I read it there, I'm not a regular here in blog land. But I will say I started following you more than a year ago, before I got my band. I am one year in. I've lost soem weight, slowly but surely- but my band has not really been tightened yet, most of it has been because of: exercise!
Now I am training to climb Mt St Helens in Sept and hike like a maniac every weekend. Also Couch to 5k, 8th week! I just got the fill that will finally start to restrict what I eat- enough that I can feel it, just in time. I have lost 70lbs in the last year and a half and have 70 more to go!
Thanks for the inspiration!
You are amazing... What a great post. Inspiring!
Terrific post. I WILL exercise today... I actually love to exercise-- but (bad excuse) it is so difficult to find the time. I am very habit driven, so what I need to do is get into some sort of habit that works-- and then it won't feel natural NOT to exercise...
Thanks for the motivation. And of course, you look so amazing!!!
I love, love, love this post. For several reasons. One being, I love to exercise. Really, I do. I don't do it. But I do love it! I'm going to start. I have gotten to a point where my body has shrunk all it's going to without the help of exercise. I still have 30+ pounds to lose, and lots of toning to do. Not to mention the happy feelings it gives you! Thanks for all the motivation!
what a great post! It's nice to know that even you struggled with going to the gym :)
Thanks pop tart. I wish I lived in NYC just so we could spin together. Heck, I'd get you out on a street bike and we could do 50 miles every weekend. Oh well...southern Jersey isn't that far.
LOVE this! You are my rock star.
Yet another post knocking me in the head to get to the gym. You're amazing.
I almost cried when I read this post. It was just what I needed. I actually am a Brooklynite and have buddied up with another recent bandster and we try to get together once a week for some buddied up exercise. I have been struggling with motivation the last couple weeks, but I'm going to heed your call and try a class soon. I have never had the guts to do one and when you compared it to being the awkward kid, that is exactly how I feel. I'm going to conquer this fear though. Maybe this weekend even. Thanks for the inspiration (and the kick in the tush).
It's funny but even though you look amazing, that fear of returning to our fat selves is what keeps us all here. And you are so right about exercise. It is so nice when people embrace that part of being healthy. If we looked at your photo now, I can see others saying, you don't know what it is like to be fat. But you do. It is always recognizing that those creeping pounds can always return which keeps us motivated. Thanks for being there to show us it can be done.
What a super fantastic post!! I still have a ways to go before I hit my goal, but exercise is very much a part of my routine. I think it is so important for health as much as it is for weight loss.
You look amazing and must feel stellar! You are a true motivator!
Great post! And you continue to look amazing!!
Dont TRY and butter me up at the end of a post. I have decided we are breaking up. I stopped liking you about 36 seconds ago after I saw your legs in spandex. Listen...I have learned to deal with your smooth "it looks like I have never been fat stomach"...and now I have to deal with your SMALL THIGHS???
You are asking a lot.
You look amazing! Be proud sista and thanks for the tip...seems to be working :):):)
Great post! Wish I lived in NYC!
You are absolutely right on!! Exercise makes such a difference. We may not all be runners, swimmers, weight lifters, etc but there really is something for everyone in the exercise world. If you don't like (insert evil exercise option of your choice here), TRY SOMETHING ELSE!
Thanks for the great post Catherine and huge congrats for being at goal (and better!) for over a year!!
This post rattled me yesterday because I've spent months complaining about stagnant weight loss, but I know exercise would change that.
I'm thinking and planning now (which is more than I was doing Thursday). Thanks for the kick in the butt.
This couldn't have been more timely for me. I have been REALLY struggling with the exercise portion of this journey for oh...about a year now. With everything personally going on in my life I had finally decided last week that I need the physical exercise for my mental health too. Yesterday, I bought a bike. Today I went for a 5 mile bike ride and loved it. It felt so good and it was the best I've felt mentally in a really long time :)
So inspirational - as always! I wish I would've read this before I did my post this morning. I may have been a bit more positive about it. You've come such a long way!
Catherine you have inspired me like no other. I have read every blog post of yours. I am so back on board with my band and exercise. Thank you for giving me the courage to stop beating myself up for falling off the banding wagon for so long. I am back up and moving down the scale!!!!
I love this post! I'm only 7 months into "maintenance" and I'm struggling a little. And yes...I need to go to the gym more. Your post really is helping to motivate me to MOVE MORE. I agree that it must be the key to maintenance, but...ugh...it's SO HARD. But no excuses. I don't ever want to go back to being overweight again. Thank you for this!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
Despite my long absence from blogland, I often think of you and your journey. Just yesterday I was thinking back about when you started boot camp and were talking about how the exercising just clicked for you one day. I'm a year and a half out from surgery and for the last 10 months, lived within 6-10 pounds from my goal. It sits there untouched.
Just within the last month, exercise has clicked. I'm actually kind of addicted. Not that I used your advice as a excuse before...well maybe a little...but it really did just kind of hit me all at once.
Thanks again for this post.
Seriously Catherine, why oh why did you let the cat out of the bag. And why would women who want to lose weight EVER bother exercising? So long, secret!
See what I mean? You are so inspiring ... I'm so glad I found you (again) !!
Post a Comment