
Happily, we're two-for-two on the natural disaster front here in NYC. The earthquake was pretty much a non-event, and the Hurricane Irene turned out not to do much, either. Fine with me! I'd rather have all that hype for nothing... than to have it for something awful.
My dad and step-mom escaped back home a day early, missing the hurricane. However, my mother had a trip to Boston planned with her boyfriend for last weekend and a few days this week. So, she came in on the Friday to see me before meeting him here and driving to Mass. Her boyfriend's flight wound up being cancelled though, so mom and I were here together for the hurricane, which added to my fun considerably!
The "real" danger of the hurricane.... a fully stocked kitchen and the most delicious blackberry and blueberry crumble I've ever made!
We were basically stuck in the house for two whole days, so we watched a lot of movies, did some cooking, played some Scrabble and just enjoyed one another's company. I have to admit -- I would have been bored out of my mind if my mom wasn't here, so I'm grateful that it all worked out like this!
And yes, the crumble is gone. . . every last morsel. . . (But my scale is fine, shockingly. Thank goodness I made it to spin on Saturday and we went for walks the other two days. NYC was like a ghost town, with all the stores and restaurants closed!)
I hope that all of you who were in the earthquake and hurricane zones fared well and that you didn't suffer any damage or power outages! Do bad things happen (or in this case, "kinda happen") in threes? What's next? Locusts??
11 comments:
Can you post another cooking lesson for your crumble? Glad you made it through Irene !
I'm so glad Irene didn't show her fury to NYC...I can't imagine what a mess that would be. Yummmm the crumble looks divine!
Glad to hear you made out okay! It was really nothing like they predicted - as usual! I am also glad (and maybe a little jealous) that your scale was unaffected bye the two day lock down! <3
Cece -- I wouldn't do that to you! Only posting healthy recipes on here (but it's the "Blueberry Crumble Pie" recipe on Epicurious if you're interested. I used half the sugar (white and brown) in the topping, as a few people recommended -- it would have been way too sweet otherwise.
In answer to your last question.................don't ask!
Glad the storm died down before hitting NYC. Mom is still w/o power and will probably be so until at least MONDAY:(
My family on Long Island also made it through without major problems...power outages and some tree branches to clean up! I am glad you were fine too!
My whole family and I were vacationing on the Outer Banks and got chased home 2 days early because of that Damn Irene. It sure did a job on the town of Duck where we were staying though. Looking at the pics was very sad.
I can't wait to see you in Chicago!
Better a nonevent than a big event in this case. Looks like quite a bit of wine too! ;)
Locusts is exactly the joke we've been saying around my family /friends (as in "what's next.?")
ha ha !
Cece -- I was wrong -- the recipe is the "Summer Berry Crumble" recipe -- I made it with 2 cups of (fresh) blackberries and 4 cups (frozen) blueberries. I only used half the sugar in the topping, and added a tiny bit of extra sugar and some lemon zest into the berries. YUM.
Thanks, Catherine ! I'm going to bring this to what will probably be the last summer bbq-bonfire this weekend. I probably won't have any but I like to bring something like this when going to a friend's home.
p.s. read your entire blog ... so inspiring (and I loved it when you met Steve !)
Post a Comment