Monday, April 30, 2012

Stuck Like Chuck and Other Stories...

I had a really fun weekend.  On Friday night, Steve and I went out to dinner, just the two of us, and had a heck of a good time.  We started out having drinks with an old friend of his, then headed to Sm-i-th and Wo-l-lensk-y for our dinner.  We ate in the grill part of the restaurant... which has the distinction of having a bathroom that is really pretty darned far away from the tables.

I normally don't even think of that.  I've been banded for 3 1/2 years, and I've never gotten stuck where I didn't have time to get to a restroom before I had to PB.  Guess what?  That is EXACTLY what happened to me there.  I got stuck on . . . creamed spinach (WTH?!  Not exactly what I'd expect to get me stuck).  I'd had a few glasses of wine by that point, and we were talking up a storm, and I guess I wasn't really paying enough attention and didn't chew well enough.

Well, suddenly, I realized -- this is going to come back up -- and there is NO POSSIBLE WAY for me to get to the far-away bathroom in time.  I told Steve that I was having an issue, grabbed my napkin, and -- as subtly as one can, unloaded that spinach into my napkin.... which I then put on the floor (and wrapped in two other napkins before we left).  Shockingly, I don't think anyone other than Steve even noticed.  And, after that happened, I felt fine again, so we just went back to enjoying ourselves.  I will tell you what I told Steve -- and I bet most of you agree with me -- even an incident like that does not make me regret having the band.  Still, that felt like such an amateur move on my part!  I'm 3 1/2 years out for crying out loud!  I should not be making mistakes like that at this point!  Oh well -- I'm just glad it wasn't more embarrassing.

This is from Saturday night at an underground supper club in Brooklyn.  Happily, I did not PB at that event...
The loft where the dinner was held had a wall that was a giant chalkboard, and that is where they wrote out the menu.
Our table -- there were actually four tables -- it was a pretty big group!
I wound up getting in good workouts on Saturday and Sunday.  I've been working out since my IT band healed after I injured it back in November, but had been slacking a bit -- never getting in four workouts, and sometimes only doing two (I usually manage to get in three).  Anyway, even though my weight is fine, number-wise, I can tell that I'm not as lean as I was.  It's a minor difference, but I can feel it when I'm wearing my jeans.  So, I've been refocusing, and have been back on track during the past week or two.  It feels good to be able to nip these things in the bud, and to know that it's not a crisis if my jeans are a little tight -- no need to panic, I just have to get into the gym.

What else??  Welllllll, I did go to Ph-y-s-i-que 57 with Marjorie on Saturday, and afterwards, we did some shopping and had brunch.  We MAY have even popped into Tiffany's and had a good gawk at the engagement rings...  And I may have even identified a ring that I was drooling over....  So, if Steve wants some guidance, Marjorie is now well prepped!  We've been talking about getting engaged in a very serious way, and I'm not sure when it will happen, but it seems clear that it's going to happen at some point before too terribly long.  Good stuff!!  I love that guy so incredibly much, and can't wait to make it all official. 

21 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the underground supper club! I belong to a private group here and we have monthly gatherings! Sorry you had the spinach episode- I haven't had anything like that yet where it comes up "on it's own". Uncharted territory!!

Exciting news about engagement talk!! Over here too! We have been talking about it a lot so I am thinking (&hoping!) it occurs soon! Can't wait to hear more!

Tina said...

OMG :) I did have a little chuckle at the Creamed Spinach incident. I still have the occasional issue. I also will be half into a bite of something occasionally and actually feel the urge to say out loud....CHEW CHEW....Sometimes I just get so excited or so absent minded about what my mouth is doing.

Thankfully most of these events have been in the car but...I did have a couple of issues in public planters when I was in New York last year..so Embarrassing. You sounded really stealth about it :)

I will be around in October again I hope :)

xxxooo

Kelly said...

So excited for you! Savor every moment (well, not the PB ;-) The road from ring to ring is a crazy, wonderful ride. I can't believe my own wedding is just under 3 weeks away. And you're so right . . .for me, no possible inconvenient side effect could ever negate the life-changing benefits my surgery has been. It has been such a gift.

Susan said...

So excited for you!!! It is just such an incredibly exciting time in your life with the anticipation and knowing it will happen :) Keep posting so we can hear all about it.

Rachel said...

I LOVE THE RING!!! It kinda looks like the one that J gave me... LOVE IT!!! YAY engagements!! xxx PS. my worst PB moment was into a half empty evian bottle while riding on the back of a scooter... and yes, it happened right in front of the eiffel tower. lol

Sarah said...

Catherine... so happy for you! You sound just wonderful, and happy - and I still PB - definitely when I am not paying attention, but thankfully not much at all anymore! Hope all is well.

MB said...

You are a very smart girl getting the friend prepped with the important ring deets. :) I love it!

MandaPanda said...

Gorgeous ring! I guess our band just pops up to remind us it's there once in awhile. Glad you were able to deal with it in a subtle way. :)

Kristin said...

I am so happy that he will finally step up and propose to you! You are a jewel and he needs to grab you up! LOL

I am sorry about the creamed spinach PB but hey at least it was not a complete disaster and you were able to conceal it for the most part! Part of living with a band no matter how far out you are unfortunately!

Your wedding will be well ours "here in blogland" the equal I am sure to Prince William and Kate!

Can not wait!

Hugs

Theresa said...

OMG! You so deserve this happiness!!!

Jacquie said...

All good stuff (except the PB part!)!!! Sounds like you are in a very exciting period in your life Catherine and I am so happy for you!

On a side note...I wish I lived near you so we could be exercise buddy's! Physique 57 and Soul Cycle are on my Wish List as far as exercise goes!

Beth Ann said...

A. You are adorable! B. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences because it helps us to remember that we always have to be mindful. C. I love that you are feeling the difference in your jeans and making efforts to change that. I am working to be more diligent at these kind of things.

Sarah said...

Oh yay! How very exciting! I do like it when the guy finally catches up to what the rest of the planet knows he needs to do :o) xx

Kathy said...

Sorry about the BP issue..you handled it well. Great that you were out with Marjorie she is lovely...Tiffany! OMG, Wish you everything that brings you joy. He is such a sweet man and you deserve the best. Whenever it happens I will be thrilled for the two of you

DiZneDiVa said...

I am so glad you are getting prepared to make it official... You seem so happy together. And you bring so much happiness to everyone around you, you deserve all the happiness returned and It is amazing to watch your love story unfold in your blog... and your life. XOXO *M*

Judi said...

Catherine....
Well, even 4+ years out....it happens. I had an incident on soup (of all things!) at a very nice restaurant. In my case---I took the big cloth napkin to the bathroom with me---sooo glad I did....because I did not make it and ended up PBing as I quickly walked to the bathroom. Yep, I did it in the middle of the restaurant! UGH! Not sure who saw me because I never looked back! Perhaps they just thought "that woman had 1 too many martinis!" Oh well...like you...an incident like that does not lessen my band love!
What fun news to hear that you are talking "making it official" and putting a ring on it (a great ring!!!). Can't wait to follow along....
Onward!
Judi

Dinnerland said...

Love the ring choice... so exciting and I hope to one day see you and it in person as we've been bantering about.
I have had weird, icky and funny stuck episodes too-- I enjoyed what you shared.
I don't mean to be obsessive, but I am excited (and scared) to try SoulCyle... it will be a great reward once we finally sort out all of our business and get ourselves moved into NYC.
Can't wait. More to follow.

Justine said...

Such wonderful news! I LOVE the ring!
Can you believe that things like creamed spinach, soup, or other soft/sloppy things can still catch us out?

Anonymous said...

One of my first pb experiences was on creamed spinach about 2 months after my surgery. I was out to dinner with my boss and two colleagues after being at a trade show all day. Thankfully I got to the restroom in time, but I was freaked out and extra, super careful the rest of that trip. The ring is spectacular - enjoy every bit of this excitement.

Joey said...

Nobody's perfect! A minor hiccup like that just reminds you to be careful in the future. Whenever I drink my husband reminds me to eat slowly because I do the same thing: chat it up and get carried away.

My sister-in-law is like the top seller of engagement rings at Tiffany's! Assuming you went to the 5th Ave (AKA the mothership) location. Steve should totally go see her. She's awesome!

Liz said...

That ring is GORGEOUS! So happy for you!

How did you like Physique 57? I've considered trying it out...not too keen on paying for extra stuff when I already spend so much on my gym, but I am interested in mixing things up a bit!