Thursday, November 8, 2012

Storms and Participating in the Democratic Process!

Me, in D.C., on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court, with the Capitol Building behind me.
Steve and I weathered both of the big recent storms just fine.  I lost power (and heat... and eventually water..) for the better part of a week, but since Steve's apartment had power, we were able to stay there.  All in all, it wasn't that bad, and it was nothing short of wonderful to have so much down time together.

My storm-induced staycation let me do something I've wanted to do for a LONG time... clean out my closet!  I needed to do this to make room for Steve to move in, and now it is officially done.   As most of you guys know, I pretty well cleaned out my closet as I lost weight, by sending clothes to other bandsters through the Sisterhood of the Traveling XL Dress.  But I still had a bunch of things in there that needed to go!  It felt so good to get it all in order and to switch out my closet from summer to winter wear (that's what folks in NYC do, since we have such limited closet space...). 

In other news, I feel like I really have had a very U.S.A.-focused two weeks.  During the Sandy aftermath, I listened nonstop to discussions of the election and the storm on a little battery-operated radio that Steve gave me.  Then, on election day, I stood in the cold for 2 1/2 hours (mostly outside -- my feet were completely numb with cold by the end) in order to vote.  And, I also went to Washington, D.C. to see oral argument in a Supreme Court case.  All in all, I feel like I really got to participate in (or at least watch) all three branches of the government -- voting for the Executive and Legslative branch reps, and watching the highest court in our Judiciary branch.  Not too shabby!

I also made time to donate some supplies (a big box of diapers and wipes) to the folks in Staten Island who are suffering in the aftermath of Sandy.  They made it incredibly easy by registering on A-ma-z-o-n, so I was able to just click and donate.  It was really important to me to do something, since I feel very grateful to have made it through the same storm safely and with relatively little trouble.

By the way, on election day, I took some time out to think about what I was up to last election day.  I was just 12 days post-op then, and hadn't even gone through Bandster Hell yet.  Say what you will about Obama and how the nation has fared during the last four years, but I sure as heck am not complaining about how those years went!! :)  Can you imagine??  If I hadn't had my surgery, those years would have been so different, I am sure.  I wonder if I'd be at 270 today, or if I would have found a way to lose a bit of the weight, or at least maintain.  Anyway, it doesn't matter.  That's not what happened.  Did I mention how grateful I am??  WHEW.

8 comments:

Theresa said...

Glad to hear you're okay after Sandy. What a tragic turn of events for the East Coast. Glad you were able to vote and I'm glad that so many people braved the conditions to get out there and excercise that right! About the closets, what do you do with your summer things in the winter and vice versa? Just curious, I'm no city dweller, my closet is as big as a whale!

Catherine55 said...

The clothes get folded and put in these plastic storage bins that I have in my closet. Then, when summer comes, I switch them out. That way my hanging space isn't crowded with thigs I can't wear.

Cute new pic!

jennxaz said...

Glad you faired ok! And what a bonus to have extra time with your sweetie. Sounds awesome to be able to have gone to DC and witness what you did..how very interesting. Boy, he is moving in...how cool that will be! It is finally cooling down here in Phoenix this weekend so I may be able to finally where a sweatshirt---we had record breaking heat yesterday at 92! I so want a new pea coat! I love how you have reflected on those four years...me too I had just had a baby and was all consumed with him..I am slowly getting me back--good times!

speck said...

I love Washington D.C. so much that I could easily live there.
I knew the first time I visited, that I made the right career choice. Gosh, you just took me back. :)

Congrats on Steve moving in!(let me know if y'all find a rug! lol JK)

Sandra

Sandy said...

That Sandy was a little biatch to many. I was near Philly with Barbara and headed home on the Tuesday after the power failure. But all was well with a generator. BUT, I missed my trip to NYC which was planned for Mon-Thursday that week. We were all lucky to weather the storm unlike many in NJ or Staten Island. Will just have to plan another trip. Glad all worked out for you-was wondering-and the election is over. Although we weren't as inundated with election ads as in the States, we certainly followed along.

My wish is that the US will pull itself out of bad times and all of North America will move ahead. Just like we could never predict how good life could be once we lost weight, it is our ever ending hope that things will get better each day. So looking forward to hearing about your wedding plans. We are all so happy for you and Steve.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you weathered the storm and got your closet cleaned out!
Sounds like you had a busy week.

Kathy said...

Another Birthday for you, 11/ 15 I want to be the first to wish you a great celebration, and a year of health, love, laughter and joy..All of this in the year of your wedding how wonderful! I love you, Mom

MandaPanda said...

I'm so glad you're no worse for wear after the storm. Helps having an extra apartment around, eh? :)