Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Catching Up!

So much is going on right now, and I've been wanting to write an update for some time!  Two weeks ago, my mother and Marjorie hosted a shower for me here in NYC that was so much fun!  They held it at Marjorie's apartment (site of my 40th birthday party, and it actually looked very similar, which was so nice) and there were 23 friends and family members over for a lovely brunch! 
 
With my aunt
 The room!
 My friend Susan, with my mom
 With two of my oldest besties, Brooke and Nadia
 Marjorie picked some lovely bubbly.... Perrier-Jouet in the cutest packaging
 Kristen & Susan!
 One of the best parts of the shower was a game that we played!  Marjorie had one of her partners depose Steve (in true litigation style) on tape.  He answered 20 questions (I had no clue about this -- no one peeped a word!!).  At the party, I was given a sheet of the 20 questions and had to answer them -- and a prize went to the person who correctly guessed how many Steve and I got right (i.e. had the same answers on).  
 
Here Steve is on the "deposition" tape!
 The funny thing is, Steve was being a gentleman, so he fudged the answers to two of the questions... "Where was your first kiss" and "What is Catherine's favorite joke"....  HOWEVER, I didn't know he was doing that, so I totally outed us for smooching at his parents' house on New Years' Day 2011 .... and had to say, in a room including my mother-in-law-to-be, that my favorite joke (which I seriously have told about 9,000,351 times) is....

Q:  How do you make a hormone?
A:  You don't pay her.

I know... a total groaner, but somehow, it always pops into my mind whenever people are talking about hormones, which happens more than you'd think!!  Anyway, the game was a ton of fun -- though Steve and I barely got any answers right!! 

Me, opening presents!  I have some very generous friends!  All those Scully bags and a few Tiffany boxes practically had my eyes popping out! :)
 
Opening a beautiful nightgown and peignoir from my mother 

 It really was such a great day.  I think everyone had a wonderful time, and it was very touching to me to have so many friends and family members go through so much effort just for me.  We did keep the shower pretty limited to just local friends and family, since I would not expect people to travel for both the shower and wedding, so it was a nice small group, and a great chance for people to get to know one another better before the big day in June!

In other news, I finally (!!) finished all of the invitations (which I made myself) and got them all mailed, with the last few going out on Monday.  We've started getting in RSVPs already, and it's a lot of fun to receive them in the mail!  I'll post photos of them soon -- I just want to redact all the personal information before putting them on the Internet, and haven't had time to do that yet.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I've been trying to up my workouts to include an extra day per week, and I haven't been having much success there.  Too many other conflicts keep me from doing it, but I'm being good about getting in a solid 3 days of hard workouts. 

This past weekend, Steve moved in to my apartment (kind of a big event to drop almost in a footnote, eh?!), and I did two long spin classes (the hour-long "Soul Survivor" rather than the regular 45 minute class) before spending the rest of both days moving boxes and furniture.  I was BONE TIRED by the end of both days.  I also didn't really want to go on Sunday -- I was tired and sore from the day before, but I forced myself to go. 

At the beginning of the class, I was just not feeling it - - and suddenly a picture of my 230 pound self popped into my mind.  I thought about how I never could have done that workout at 230 pounds, and how I would have stressed about what to wear and felt really self-conscious among the scores of thin, toned Lululemon-ed in the room, if I had dared to go at all.  So, I sucked it up and kicked a$$ in that class, in honor of my old self and in gratitude for how far I've come, and how much my life has changed in the past 4 1/2 years.  I can not believe how much things have changed, and how much that change has been for the better.  It's amazing and humbling, and I thank God that I was able to get the help I needed to get my weight under control.


13 comments:

Judi said...

Love watching your beautiful story unfold! Thanks so much for sharing. Sounds like a beautiful, special day. And, the pictures are so fun to see! Love the game!!!
And, I think that joke is adorable. Can't wait to share it!
BTW....today marks our 31st wedding anniversary....through good times and bad times and fat times and thin times....it's been a journey to behold and lets us know how truly fortunate and blessed we are. May you always find the silver linings and the blessings as you travel the journey of love and commitment.
Enjoy these special moments...they will be forever in your heart and mind as the years go by!
Onward!
Judi
P.S. And, of course, you look gorgeous!

Darlin1 said...

Thanks for sharing....I love all the pic's....and the stories. I was thinking about you the other night and wondering how your life was unfolding...
I love that you are making the most of every moment!
You are a beautiful bride to be!

XO

Sandy said...

Just so excited for you and Steve. In 5 years you will look back again and realize how wonderful life can be. I doubt my hubby of 31 years could match any of my answers to questions. But that's what makes being a couple is all about. Love the comment from Judi. My sentiments exactly. Only advice is to enjoy the coming weeks before the wedding and dont let ANYTHING get to you. i know you will glow that day.

RockBand Barbie said...

Love that game idea! Such exciting times for you :)

Vanessa said...

Love that you used the image of your old self to push through and kick some ass! Congrats on moving in together!

MB said...

This is so exciting! You have so much packed into one post. I also have to say that I love the wedding reception game; what a super neat idea!

Cheri said...

Looks like a wonderful party. :-) I hope you enjoy all of it - you deserve it.

One of my good friends was marrying a man from a VERY conservative family, and the church ladies threw her a bridal shower - she was only 19. She was trying so hard to impress. They asked her favorite drink during some party game and she blurted out, "beer".

Could have heard a pin drop.

They are still married over 20 years later though :-P lol

Ms. M said...

It looks like a lovely shower. LOVE the joke... I'm doing to have to remember it, lol.

Theresa said...

What an exciting time in your life! I'm so happy for you!

Dinnerland said...

Beautiful pictures-- so happy for you !
It is a constant surveillance issue to keep weight in check, but the tools and skills you've learned are so well ingrained that you are assured continued success.
:-)

Sarah said...

I am so absolutely thrilled for you and Steve! So exciting... I know your big day is getting close and I hope you cherish and love every day and DO NOT share with us until you are good and ready... xoxoxo ~Sarah

Steph said...

You shower looked like it was lovely and the deposition idea was classic. You're joke made me laugh out lound in the office. Best wishes to the two of you in the coming month or so. Don't get overwhelmed and remember to take the time to stop and remember every moment. :)

Beth said...

You are just LOVELY. My five-year Bandiversary is coming up on the 21st (I hope I remember!). Unfortunately, I'm still on my journey, but I AM rocking it now. :)