Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Plus Sized Models

Last night, my friend Emily hosted a Girl's Night Out at her home. We do these every few months, and it's generally a great mix of friends old and new. Interestingly, Emily had invited two friends -- really beautiful girls -- and, in the course of talking to them, I found out that they are both plus sized models.

It probably won't come as a surprise to you, but neither of them looked at all heavy! One said that she was a size 14, but I honestly thought she was closer to a 12, so maybe she was going by a stingy-designer-14. And, apparently, the starting size for plus sized models is a size six!! (Hey. . so even in my skinniest dress, I'm still in the range. . er, though maybe not age-wise at this point!) Also, I found out that sometimes plus size models wear padding to fill out the clothing more, depending on what their clients want.

This is one of the girls who was at our GNO last night!
She had the BEST hair. I had major hair envy!
It really was fascinating to talk to them about their industry. Plus, both girls were really nice and very cool (and interesting on other topics as well, of course)!

14 comments:

Theresa said...

Wow, she's gorgeous. Question: do you hang out with anyone who doesn't look like they just stepped out of "Town & Country?" I'm just sayin...

Sarah said...

Gosh... I wouldn't mind looking like that! I do hope that some day they get to a point where they have "real" plus size models! Beautiful... but somehow doesn't seem real to me??? Sounds like a great GNO though!

FritoBandito said...

I would kill for that body...oh wait...I'm working on that. :)

Gen said...

Were they like 6 feet tall too? Size 12 and tall sounds good to me! How wrong is it that this girl is considered "fat" ? Thanks for sharing this!

Marie said...

Amazing they are considered plus size. She looks perfect. Our society is so messed up when it comes to looks.

Island Bandit said...

i have a friend who's a plus size model and she's itty bitty.... i think it's criminal to call them plus sized..... i think instead all the 'regular' models should be called scary small models and these ladies should be regular sized

MandaPanda said...

Plus size?? Yeah...right. You should totally get into doing some of that. You're hot!

Catherine55 said...

@Gen -- one was 6'2 and the other was about 5'8 or 5'9. The one in the picture is a size 14. They both were really gorgeous.

Darlin1 said...

Catherine--you mentioned hair envy--you too could have that hair. Have you ever used henna? It makes your hair very thick and shiny. Henna attaches to each hair differently so it doesn't come out all one color like hair dye. I use a mixture of 3/4 auburn henna,1/4 brown henna(because I like my hair a little darker), 1 tsp cinnamon, a drop of gardenia oil or ? for smell and mix it into a paste with hot coffee. Let it sit for 30 min then apply to hair. Leave it on for 20 to 60 minutes depending on how much gray you have . My hair is all gray --so I only leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.

I promise you will love it and it is not harmful to you. I've used henna since I was 19 and have turned many other people on to it along the way.

You do not have to have hair envy --You can have great hair!!!

Nella said...

Totally gorgeous!
Power to the plus size baby!

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

Hard to imagine those thin and healthy looking women are plus sized models. They are beautiful! We need more women like that out setting the example - how cool that you got to meet them and get to know their worlds a little bit. I'll bet it was interesting.

Bonnie said...

Isn't the average size of an american woman 14? It kills me how they call that plus sized.

Anonymous said...

No doubt she is a beautiful looking woman and from what you write they were both beautiful on the inside, too. How sad that we feed into an industry that claims 'plus sized modeling begins at size 6.' I so agree with Island Bandit, we need to call the other models 'scary small sized.'

Lee Ann said...

Hi, I'm a new follower. :) Amazing to me a woman with this kind of figure is a "plus" size model. Sixes are pluses? Wow, no wonder so many women feel so uncomfortable when they are within healthy weight ranges....the fashion industry has really screwed up our heads....along with those stupid BMI charts.