Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Call Off the Amber Alert! :)

Skating at the Houston Galleria over Christmas
OK. . . so I'm guilty of going MIA for a bit. I just haven't wanted to blog about things with S because I kind of want to keep it for myself and just enjoy it. That said, things are going swimmingly, and I'm really happy. :)

In other news, I had two people from work (one of the mailroom guys, who I like a lot, and one of the secretaries) tell me that it is time to stop losing weight and that I need to be careful not to get "too thin." Meanwhile, I'm still in the mid-to-high 140s and wearing a size 8. Not exactly bone-thin territory, though I do feel pretty great! And, if I don't lose anymore, I'll be OK with that. In fact, I've started buying clothing in earnest. . . but that's worth its own post. . and photos. . . stay tuned.

This reminds me that I never posted about my Christmas in Texas. I was talking to my dad, who I love dearly. . and who is pretty thin-focused, and he said something to the effect of "Lovie, you look terrrrrrific!" (My Dad has called me "Lovie" since I was a tiny tot -- love it!) And then. . well, then, he said some words that I thought I'd never hear. . . something to the effect that I should "Be careful not to get TOO THIN." I was like -- "What?!?" Could you please repeat that?!? Um, could I please record that and make it my ring tone?!? :)

The funny thing is that I'm only just now a really "normal" size. I don't think that size 8 is what a person who is naturally in their ideal BMI would consider to be teeny by any means. I have friends who wear 2s and 4s who are much smaller than I am, without being too thin. I am still getting a little smaller though. Even though I'm not losing pounds very much these days, I do keep working out 3-4 times a week. And I'm not talking about B.S., barely-sweat workouts, either. . . these are serious hardcore -- but really fun -- workouts.

It's actually kind of amazing to me that I've been able to rehabilitate my body as much as I have already. And, it's kind of interesting and inspiring to see how much more fit, healthy and toned I can be. . . not that I'm giving up wine or foie gras any time soon (um, or EVER!)! I also didn't expect that I'd ever become someone who loves to exercise. Heck, I spent my first 6 months post-op feeling guilty that I wasn't motivated in that way at all. But at some point (thank you, Boot Camp), it just clicked, and now it's part of my life. I feel so grateful to have been able to get to this point.

I know that a lot of us struggle with motivating to exercise. For me, it was a matter of trying different things until I found something I loved. . . then switching before I got so bored of that workout as to become unmotivated. I strongly believe that exercise is what took me to the next level of success with my band -- beyond what I could have done with portion control alone. And I also know that it's OK that I let myself motivate to do it in my own time.

25 comments:

Shannon said...

I think you look fantatic. I am so glad that things are going so great for you!

Liz said...

You look so great!

I am only 4 months our from surgery, and haven't managed to work exercise in yet. I keep saying, "oh, I'll get to it...I don't have time..." etc, but I know it's something I really need to incorporate at least a few times a week in order to fully maximize this little tool. Which Boot Camp company did you go with? Have been thinking about doing that down the line (I would die if I tried it right now).

Maree said...

Have been wondering how you are - so pleased things are going well for you on the band AND romance front.

Tina said...

well hello...I totally understand the keeping your new fun to yourself..and you can...just don't talk about it and talk about other stuff :)

The exercise things is huge. I have noticed some ebb and flow in my motivation this winter...has yours been steady? I need to get off my arse and get back to it.

xxxooo

DiZneDiVa said...

You look great Catherine! I am so happy for you! Motivation personified... that's what you are.

MB said...

You look so great! I am so happy for you!!!

Annie said...

It's good to hear from you, and to learn of your happiness! You look terrific, and are such an inspriation to us all!

It must be nice to hear that you are looking great enough to be in danger of looking too thin! I agree that looking good is the goal, and your exercise seems to be the ticket to taking that to the next level.

I wish you nothing but happiness in your new relationship, and I look forward to your pics, glamour girl!

Ms. M said...

You look terrific! And I agree, there is no need to worry about being "too thin." Not yet anyway. :)

Exercise is key - band or no band. I'm pretty sure of it... from everything I've seen, read, experienced.

Glad things are going so well for you!

Sarah said...

Hi Friend!!! You sound SO happy... glad things are going well and that you're doing okay - I almost emailed you, and then though, nope - she's fine - leave her alone! (LOL)

You look beautiful - you can just see how happy and content you are. Yay for you!

XOXOX

Catherine55 said...

@Liz -- I did Pure Power Boot Camp -- www.purepowerbootcamp.com. It's a FANTASTIC program -- super motivating, and I had really great results. It was definitely tough, and I was scared when I started! (You can see posts that I wrote about this if you go back to May 26, 2009 and just afterwards, if you want to know more about what it is like.)

Michele A said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

Glad you're back! We missed you. My fondest dream is for someone to tell me to eat a sandwich or stop losing weight! You look amazing!

Lap Band Gal said...

Looking good on those skates! Can't wait for the shopping/clothes post...bring on the pics! :)

Beth said...

Welcome back!! I was MIA for a long time myself. I had to return back to the saddle. You, my dear, look like you have continued riding that horse to total victory! Congrats!!

LDswims said...

For what it's worth, I always think size 8 is perfect. I have never seen a size 8 who I think should lose, nor have I seen a size 8 who I think should gain. I can't say the same for 2, 4 or 6. Sometimes those work (to my eyes) but more often than not, they just look gaunt and like they wouldn't survive anything if their bodies were tested.

You are always an inspiration.

I nominated you for an award.

http://ldswims-journeytoembrace.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award.html

trishajo said...

We missed you Catherine!! So glad to see a blog from you! =) You're looking fantabulous as usual! I leave tomorrow morning for Mexico to have surgery Friday - you are my hero and I hope to one day have successes like you!!

Amy W. said...

I was JUST thinking about you and thinking, well well well. Look who has finally become one of THOSE bloggers who drops off the face of the earth!

But I knew deep down inside you wouldnt leave us.

I think it is also funny when people say "dont get too skinny". People tell me that and I weigh 170! And it's usually people who weigh less than me. Heather thinks its bc of the way I am built, but whatever. I think it also has to do with a comparison from where we came from. BC we are pretty different from the size we used to be...so people use what we have lost to raise a red flag. Does that make any sense.

Probably not.

I am glad that you and Stephano (that is his name I have given him for today) are doing well.

I would like to sing at your wedding.

Sherry said...

Stop being so adorable.

I'm with you on the exercise. I've always liked it but would get burnt out after 6 months or so of something: spin, kickboxing, running. Now, I've found that I LOVE weight training. I love feeling strong and feeling new muscles burn. It is so rewarding. More so than any cardio for me. I'm 9 months into some serious weight training and am not burnt out at all. I think I found what works for me.

Also, size 8. Stop it. Stop being perfect!

Bonnie said...

It's good to know that the exercise thing can possibly click for me. I know I need to do it to be successful, but knowing and doing are very far apart. I am so happy you found someone. You so deserve it.

MandaPanda said...

You just look absolutely fantastic!!! I'm glad to hear you didn't really dig the exercise thing at first. I'm trying...and hoping...that eventually I'll be all about it.

P.S. Your legs are so TINY!

Rhonda said...

Welcome back! :) You look fantastic (as I'm sure you KNOW!!!), and what's even better is you sound very happy. :D I can't wait until I hear those eight magical words: "Be sure not to lose TOO much weight." It must be magic.

Joey said...

Here, here on the exercise! Even though weight loss is 75% what you put in your mouth, I find that my mood is vastly improved with exercise which minimizes the emotional eating. I start my first bootcamp class in a few days with 4 other girls. We are calling it " butterfly camp"....it's less intimidating.

Glad you and S are hitting it off! xo

Anonymous said...

Whewwww so happy to see you are doing well I have missed your post you have been such an inspiration to me as a fellow bandster. I have loved following your story and you have given me so much encouragement to just keep on keeping on day by day and one # at a time.
Enjoy the journey of this new adventure you deserve it...

Liz said...

Thanks so much for the info about the Boot Camp! I've seen their ads in the back of cabs...yep, looks scary! I definitely think once I make exercise a regular part of my life, and build up my stamina, I'll love it!

Kathy said...

So glad that you are back...I missed you and your adventures. For your dad to say you should be careful not to get too thin..is really the greatest! He would not say something like that,lightly! Well done, my dear! Keep up the good work! mom