Thursday, February 3, 2011

Stylish Blogger Fashion Show ;)

To kick off this post, I'd like to thank the lovely LDSwims for nominating me for the Stylish Blogger Award! I know that I'm supposed to list seven things about myself that you don't know and nominate others, but I hope you'll forgive me if I break with that tradition and just post about things stylish and fashion-related instead!

So. . . I mentioned that I've been shopping in earnest, and I was not kidding. I actually took a day off of work in January and headed to Woodbury Commons with my dear friend, Emily (Woodbury is the best outlet mall in NY). I bought three dresses and a coat. . all at substantial discounts, and all with seriously fashion-forward labels. . Dior, DVF and Wolford. I also have been doing a bit of shopping around town -- the post-Christmas sales have been amazing, and I actually really need clothing, so that has been a nice fit!

And, on to the fashion show!! Here are my favorite recent acquisitions. . .

This is a green silk DVF wrap dress that I plan to wear when it gets warmer. . with a tank top underneath and either military green espadrilles or these fun super high military green Guess shoes that I have. .

OK. . I may love DVF too much. . . but she makes the best dresses! I bought this one (terrible photo, but you get the idea. .) at an on-line flash sale at HauteLook.com. I had tried the dress on in the DVF store, didn't buy it because the friend I was shopping with (who I see only rarely) bought it. . . but when I saw it on sale for less than half price, I couldn't resist! I wore this one to work yesterday. . .
This is my Woodbury Commons acquisition from Wolford. . . a gorgeous gray knit dress with a matching coat!! I have to get the sleeves taken up a little bit, but you get the general idea. . .

Wolford dress and coat, together. . .

The dress from the front . . .
Wolford side view. . . I wish you could see how well it is constructed! Tried to show the lines of the knit here, but I don't think they show up that well. .
I found this gorgeous little Dina Bar-El number at New York Look, one of my favorite stores. It was on major sale (under $200) and fit perfectly! I am wearing it tonight to a benefit dinner for the New York Philharmonic! One side has a long sleeve, which you can see better in the second photo. . .
This is a DVF dress (er, yes. . another one. . plus I have two more that I bought a few months ago and didn't show here. .!) that I found in the flagship store in the Meatpacking this summer. . . I didn't buy it because it's a warm weather dress and I wasn't sure what size I'd need by winter. Then, I regretted not getting it and tried to find it on-line, but with no luck. . . . until I found it at the outlet for half price!! I absolutely love it for work, especially on days where I have a special dinner afterwards. And, this one is the piece de resistance. . . A Christian Dior dress for me to wear to work!! I've never had anything Dior before, so this was all the more exciting for me. (The photo so does not do it justice!) It fits PERFECTLY. I absolutely love it!! I got it for 1/4 of the original price. . .and while it was still expensive (er, original price was $2,400), I know that I will wear it for years and years. This was my post-bonus present/splurge to my post-goal self!

I hope you enjoyed my post-goal shopping show and tell! One of my favorite things about finally being at a weight where I don't expect to lose any more (and pray to God that I won't gain) is that I had to buy all new clothes. It's taken me months to build up a big enough wardrobe so that I'm not wearing the same five things to work every week, but I'm finally there. And, I really love everything in my closet right now. Getting dressed is a real pleasure. It's a major NSV for me, and it feels wonderful. I am so, so grateful to be able to feel like this.

Am including one final photo, lest we forget where I started. . . I look at this and can not believe the size of my arm and chest. It's hard to look at this photo and to think about how it felt to be that size. I was so uncomfortable that day, since it was windy and I was wearing Spanx (and terrified that my skirt would blow up) and my feet were absolutely killing me in those heels. I am so, so glad that I don't have to feel like that anymore.

25 comments:

Amanda said...

Beautiful!
All of them and you!

Lap Band Gal said...

Wowzer! Isn't it the most fun now shopping?!? Congrats on maintaining your goal weight...you look great!

j said...

I have read your entire blog in the past few days and you are SUCH AN INSPIRATION. Thanks for being such a diligent poster. I am so excited and inspired by you.

Angie Cummings said...

hot girls hot clothes! love ya!

momma2fi said...

Catherine - I cannot express enough how much you motivate me. I am sooooooooo envious of the clothing that you have, and hope to get my ass in gear so that I can follow suit (figuratively - and literally - any well made suit will do)!! Though we've never met, I'm green with envy but also blushing with pride - you have done SUCH a fantastic job and the world now appears to be your oyster!! Bravo to you my virtual friend! BTW - if you want to sell any of the fab clothes you have that are now too big - please let me know! Seriously! Our taste in clothes is so similar. Just in case: kimberlyklj@yahoo.com

Lee Ann said...

Simply gorgeous. What I would give to wear something with STRUCTURE! I'm a new follower and currently struggling to get my insurance company to approve me. Was denied in early January. Planning on seeing the appeals process through to the bitter end but if I'm still denied I'm just praying my husband and I can come to some agreement and that he'll agree to letting us pay for it out of pocket as you did. I look at your before picture and I see myself. I hear your self-loathing and I don't see why you hate the girl in your before picture---but yet, I hate the girl I was 25 pounds ago...so I get it. Anywhooooo, you look simply gorgeous. :)

MB said...

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...you and your finds!!!

Kristin said...

I absolutely LOVE your wardrobe. (And you're kinda awesome too.) Congratulations, I'm so glad you're enjoying every bit of your success.

Kristin said...

PS Joey and Gilly are coming to New York and we're planning a brunch March 20th. Join us?

Kim said...

You look wonderful!!

MandaPanda said...

Stunning...absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing!

Nella said...

Love love love them! You look fabulous!

Shopping and getting dressed up is so much more fun! I cant get enough...Im like a kid in a candy store!

One day....we will meet at Woodbury!

Amanda Kiska said...

You look fantastic! I love the outfits!

Joey said...

Loooooooooove love love! My goal is a size 8, although I don't know if it's practical since I'm 5'11".

Gilly said...

I love that you posted that last picture. Since I've been blogging, you've been either close to, or at goal (or past it!) It's cool to see where you came from, and hear that your terrors and complaints from being overweight are the same as mine. And then look at all the victory clothes! :)

Nicole said...

Gorgeous! Love everything..

Bonnie said...

It's so much fun reading your posts. Hopefully you don't care that in my mind I put my face on your body. ;)

Susan said...

I LOVE your clothes and am so happy for you! I remember that feeling of just loving to get dressed everyday - I want it back!! In 2002 I weighed about 135-140 and went on a major St John spree. My mom is now the beneficiary of most of them and I can't wait to wear one of my St John suits when thin enough (range from size 2 to 14 sitting in my closet - well the 2-10 are at my mom's!).

Catherine55 said...

@Bonnie -- LOL - Do it!! :)
@Nella - Can't wait!

@Lee Ann - I don't have any hate for the fat version of myself -- it's all still me, after all. It's more that I feel some pain in remembering how it felt to suffer the petty indignities that go along with being so overweight. Still, that pain is really eclipsed by relief and gratitude about not having to feel that way anymore.

Rachel said...

I like your "fashion post"...You look beautiful and put together in these clothes...

Dinnerland said...

A.maz.ing.
You look great and you have wonderful taste in clothes. Would you be my personal shopper? (just kidding, but ...)

Wear them well!

FK said...

sob sob sob... bought tears to my eyes.. thank you for sharing! You look stunning in all of thoes dresses. You totally deserve the "goal" moment enjoy it and hold on to it. xxx

MLM said...

Love the fashion show (and the clothes obviously..what great taste you have)! I also love the comparison/remembrance of how far you have come..truly amazing! I cannot wait until I can wear all designers, especially DVF! love her! and love woodbury commons..I keep wanting to go but want to wait I think until I can buy things I will have forever when I am a size I like. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you on the 20th!

Anonymous said...

Very, very nice! Love the one shoulder dress especially!

Marie said...

OMG love all the clothes. Your humbleness too. You always remember from whence you came from. I have a ways to go but your post was yet another great inspiration!