Friday, June 24, 2011

Motivation and Compli-sults

Lap Band Gal recently posed the question on her blog: "Where does your motivation come from?" ... And because Blogger is the WORST, I couldn't post my comment.

For me, I get really motivated by how much more I like how my body looks now. I also know that if I hit the gym hard 3 times a week, I look better at the end of the week than I did at the start. I also like how I feel while I'm spinning or doing yoga (and how I feel about the fact that I do spin and yoga now), and that really keeps me going too. Plus, I like wearing my cute workout outfits. (I salaam to Lulu Lemon.)

Speaking of clothing, that's another huge source of motivation for me. I freaking LOVE (LOOOOVVVVE) being able to find beautiful clothing in my size! I love being able to wear pants without hosiery underneath .. and dresses without a body shaper (though sometimes they really do the trick.. I don't care how thin a girl is....) I have always really liked fashion, and living NYC was a bit like dying of thirst in the middle of the ocean, shopping-wise (OK, maybe a bit dramatic..). Even though I live in one of the best shopping cities in the world, I shopped nearly exclusively shopped on-line or through a personal shopper for years before I got banded. Trying to find clothing that fit me was just a miserable experience that just reminded me of how unhappy I was about my weight. Yet now it's actually fun! And I will be DAMNED before I let my new things look tight on me! So, that gets my butt in the gym, too.

Another one of the comments that *#@! Blogger wouldn't let me post yesterday was on Amy's blog. She wrote about the "such a pretty face" comment that so many of us have heard for years. I always hated that one. It always sounded like a backhanded insult about my body to me, no matter how it was intended. In fact, I have a word for things like this.... "Complisult." Part compliment, part insult! And, a great comeback if you're on the receiving end of one is to say "Wow! That's the best compli-sult I've gotten all day!" :D

12 comments:

Greg said...

I just wanted to share with you what an inspiration you are ! I just finished reading your entire blog from start to finish between yesterday and today. I am really considering having the surgery and would love to pick your brain for a little info. I, too, plan on going to Mexico for the surgery, and I am so nervous !
Greg ( Atlanta )

Lap Band Gal said...

Thanks for your response to my blog post. :) Motivation comes in many different forms for all of us...great to hear what motivates you. Have a great weekend!

Andrea said...

Haha, compli-sult! That's great!

MB said...

I actually got that compli-sult shortly after reading Amy W's blog yesterday. It was from a family member. Ugh! I wish I would've had your comeback handy then.

MB said...

...but I'll have it next time. :)

ReJoyce777 said...

I recently was so disgusted that I ended up buying mens tee shirts to make sure my arms were completely covered. I soooo look forward to the day I can enjoy buying cute clothes again.

Deb said...

I have not enjoyed clothes shopping in so many years. But I was pleasantly surprised to be able to buy 14/16 size clothes this week, even in pants! That made me look forward to future shopping trips.

Camille said...

Whenever I get a compli-sult (which I am using forever!) I always just gush, "Oh, thank you! You are so nice to notice!!" I adore Lululemon. Have you seen the new gym bags???

Christine said...

So what are some of your favorite clothing stores nowadays?

Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net

MandaPanda said...

While I'm not into fashion and stuff, just being able to shop in normal stores is a big motivator for me.

I love your word! We should submit that to webster to have it added to the dictionary.

Catherine55 said...

@Christine -- Some of my favorite stores are boutiques like New York Look and Intermix. I love Diane Von Furstenberg and Lululemon too. For department store shopping, I love Saks and Bloomies.. and do a bit of shopping on NM on-line too.

And, for beach staples and cute inexpensive kick-around summer dresses, I really love Old Navy.

Catherine55 said...

@Greg -- thank you!! And, welcome! Feel free to e-mail me at chroniclesfrombandland@gmail.com. It may take me a few days to respond, but I will eventually get there!