Warning.. if you click on this, the photo will get bigger... :)

People try all the time to dispel supposed myths about being thin and about weight loss surgery. The funny thing is that, as I get farther along in this process, I realize that I don't 100% agree with the top two things I hear the most. Here they are:
1. "Being thin won't make you happy."
AND
2. "The band isn't a magic wand."
On no. 1, being thin actually will make you happy if -- like me -- the biggest thing bothering you in your life is the fact that you are overweight. I feel happier every single day because I finally feel good about that one huge issue. I no longer wake up to the thought of how disgusted I am with myself, thinking "Ugh. How did I let myself get so fat??" Also, when I was at my heaviest, my feet would hurt even right when I woke up. My heels cracked in colder weather, which was painful at times. I never have that anymore. Getting dressed wasn't fun, but now it is. Shopping was torture -- especially shopping with thin friends in stores where there was nothing I could try on because it was all too small. That has all completely changed.
So, as it turns out, being thin actually does make me happier. Obviously, it doesn't solve completely unrelated problems. But for me, weight was the one problem that I just couldn't solve on my own before, despite that I tried many times. Solving an issue that has made me feel badly for as long as I can remember has really been life changing, and has improved my overall happiness incredibly.

On no. 2, in some ways, I do think the band is like a magic wand. Clearly, it doesn't work if you don't work with it. But, it has made losing a significant amount of weight -- and maintaining the loss -- possible for me. In fact, it has made it so much easier than it would have been without my band's help, that I do think of my band as being a bit magical... or a miracle of modern science at any rate... :)

18 comments:
Great perspective. I'm finally learning how to use the band as a magical wand - I had a slower learning curve than most, but now I understand how to use it and its working for me now b/c I'm working it the way I should have all along. I relied on it to do all the work which we know isn't the answer! I'm happy to be working toward being in the space you're in and looking forward to it!
Wow Catherine, it amazes me that you don't look like you were ever overweight! I love my band too, and know I couldn't have gotten to this point without it, but I so want to be at goal and I know that right now, I'm the only thing holding me back!
You look great!
When I was losing (and maintaining what I lost)--before my dive into the Ocean of Acid Reflux--I had similar feelings about my experience. I hope I can get there again one day.
Like you said, WLS doesn't solve unrelated problems (and life is full of challenges, of course), but I think it is best to be realistic about that at the outset. Thankfully, I never believed that the band would finish my big paper project that has been looming forever now, help with work, or cure unrelated illnesses or problems. That approach would have led to me perceiving things even more negatively when I have band issues, a predicament not fun at all to consider.
I agree wholeheartedly with both of your comments. The band has made me happier, and I agree that it DOES work like magic when nothing else (including sensible "diet and exercise") did not.
Totally agree!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
I am with you 100% on both points! I have always been blessed with a great life, and not a lot to complain about - but my weight. The band has really made that aspect of my life better, without a doubt! It doesn't solve anything else, but given that was a hold-up for me, it's been wonderful... and while maybe not a silver bullet, so to speak, it is a great tool when used correctly! BTW - I'm also with you on the heels cracking... mine have JUST started to do that again with the pregnancy, and I remember how painful it was... never want to go back there! Time for one last pedi before the baby comes!!! :-)
Girl you look bad..bad meaning good. Congrats to you an all of your success.
I agree with you in that being thin will make you happier if that burdon of you being overweight and making you unhappy is gone. I feel you on this one. I am happy and I do stuff, but when I was smaller I spread my wings like an eagle. Oh, what a great feeling. I recently did a post on fully living my life and allowing myself to do so despite the weight I am at. Hopefully you can check it out.
I don't know if you remember me but I originally met you on LapBandTalk (I'm Krasc001)and told you of how seeing you in that beautiful silk dress that you had in your signature really inspired me. Well I have started a blog of my own and could you any and all the support I can get. Congrats again,
gummiwormbandit.blogspot.com
thanks for your post. I am pre-op right now and needed to hear this. The only area of my life that I am a "failure" in is weightloss. I hope that I can get to where you are one of these days.
I too agree with you! Even though I've had problems with my band and am taking it out next Friday, I never would have lost 50+lbs on my own...and kept it off. I wish the band was all I would've needed but I'm ok with the alternative, VSG. I'm thankful that we have options because as much as I'd like to think I can go it alone, I just don't think I can. So why even try. WLS has been a blessing for me and a lot of us. I want to be blessed another 20 lbs.
Oh, and by the way, the only thing similar about your before and now pic is your red polish on your toes!
@Jackie -- LOL! I thought the same thing when I saw the two photos next to one another! :)
I agree completely. Your transformation is just amazing!
You look fabulous dahling!
Love your post, and I am just starting to realize that the band is not magic. Yes it totally let me lose weight however within the last few weeks I have started gaining again and there is no way I need a fill again. I just am eating really bad food.
One day I will get this whole new lifestyle thing down.
Thanks for your post.
I could use some love and support too
bandedup.blogspot.com
I agree in many ways... though I am still struggling with my latest plateau. Thinking of getting some fill back, but time will tell...
Totally agree. Being thinner does make you happier. So does being richer! LOL! Lies written by fat poor people who want thin rich people to feel bad about themselves! It does give you one LESS thing to worry about -- your weight (and money if you have it). Life always throws those curveballs so there will likely be something but if you are a well adjusted person having both those things in your life can make it that much better!!
Hey there,
My name is Ivy, I'm from NY as well. I'm a Brooklynite! I'm about to be banded on Tuesday... yikes! I'm so happy to have stumbled across your blog! I'm a bit of a foodie, and as you well know, NYC is a playground for a gal like me. I'm getting down to the last few days and getting excited. Your before pic reminds me a lot of myself right now, so I know there is hope for me yet! I look forward to reading more of your blog. Feel free to peek at mine if you like too! :)
You look fantastic and continue to be such an inspiration to us all.
Enjoy and embrace the magical you
They are both true lies from my experience as well.
Thanks for your encouragement, it means alot to me coming from a successful woman!
You look absolutely fab! What great photos of you and your Mom! I love your reflections and as i sit here with aching feet...I am inspired by you. as usual! :)
Post a Comment