Last night, Steve and I went with a big group of friends to a masqued ball. This ball takes place every year around Halloween, and I'd been once before. In fact, this was my FIRST post-band party, four years ago, in 2008. Unfortunately, Marjorie wasn't feeling well and didn't go, so we couldn't reinact our 2008 photo.
With Steve at the ball. He looks like he's going to steal my diamonds in that masque!!
2008 to 2012. Four years older, but feeling so much better!
2008 vs 2012 (Hooray! My roots aren't as bad this year!)
I always find these kinds of comparisons eye-opening and kind of surprising. I remember how I felt, getting ready to go to this party in 2008. I was a little nervous about being at a party and having some wine. I also didn't know as many people in this crowd then as I do now, so the party wasn't as much fun. Last night was an absoute blast -- I danced up a storm with Steve, and we had a really great time!This was particularly good because I think both of us were feeling pretty stressed out last week and really needed a fun night. Nothing terrible -- but we were both thinking a lot about the fact that we've each been doing pretty much whatever we want and not having to answer to anyone else for most of our adult life. And, the fact is, that's changing now that we are marrying one another.
To give you an example... I had my apartment painted earlier this year -- the living room is this fabulous shade of blue-green now, but it just doesn't quite work with my existing furniture. This week, I came very close to buying a rug on-line that would have helped to tie the whole room together. But, before I bought it, I realized I should check in with Steve to make sure he liked it. And, he wasn't in to it and didn't want me to buy the rug. I didn't buy it, but the fact that (!) someone else had the right to stop me from decorating my apartment how I wanted didn't sit well with me! I've lived alone for a whopping 18 years, and that hasn't happened before! But ultimately, I do want to share my life with Steve and am excited about us building a home together, so that's a sacrifice I am willingly making. However, that doesn't mean it's not an adjustment!! :)



13 comments:
Looks like great fun - I've always wanted to go to a masquerade party.
I'm sure the transition to sharing one life will be hard since you've both been living alone for so long, but eventually you'll get to know what the boundaries are for those things. You'll feel comfortable buying/doing certain things knowing Steve will approve and what things need to be a couple decision. Part of the joy of marriage. ;)
Looks like you were having a fabulous time.
Considering others opinions is a real adjustment but the fact that you thought about it first, after 18 years of not needing to, shows how much you want to share your lives together. Congratulations again. xx
You look just so amazing!!! And I get having to "check-in" with someone... even after 12+ years (LOL)!!! It is a struggle, but honestly worth every minute... Are you guys going to go to your place? Any chance you can find a place that is both of yours vs. one of yours-to-fit-both? No idea what the market in NYC is like... just a thought! However, enjoy it! But still make sure it is "yours"...
How fun does that party look!
As for the rug,(lol)being alone 18 years and then having a man enter the picture...do I need to say more!
It's nice to have our independence but in relationships we just can't be as selfish anymore! We have someone else that matters.(gosh I hate saying that...I'm terrible)
But seriously, it's true, we have to give and take. Some things are worth standing our ground on, and some not.
You did a good thing, you thought about how he would feel.
You got this! :)
Sandra
Looks like a great time.... And you look beautiful!
you look beautiful. I remember that being really hard for me too. I being an only child and not marrying until my 30's I really never answered to anyone and it was hard to compromise with my hubby...you will figure it out and probably find a fabulous rug that you both like...it will just take longer!
Once again, you look fabulous!
As for the rug, ahhhh...to be engaged again. After a few years of marriage, you realize he doesn't have a say in decor. LOL!
You look absolutely beautiful.
Yes, later in life marriages are a challenge and it is hard. But they are worth it. I just try to remind myself that I would appreciate the same considerations as I show to him. (It works some times)
You guys look great! You are stunning! You're nicer than me...when I was engaged to my current husband he made a remark about a color choice of mine. He still quotes my response every chance he gets..."when you get a vagina, you can pick the colors."
I don't know how else to send you a message but I just wanted you to know I am thinking of you your friends. please stay safe.
Hi Catherine,
Hope you and Steve and all of your NYC friends are safe and out of harms way. Watching the TV has me so worried about my friends and family in the path of this destruction. Keeping all of you in my prayers. Please touch base here on your blog when you can to assure all of your fans and followers that our girl Catherine is okay!
Onward!
Judi
To all who may be concerned about
S &C. I,her mom, have been advised they are fine...No power. don't know what/or if any storm damage was done to her apt bldg.. They are together ...having a good time. C was baking when I spoke with her the day of the storm. Hope you and yours are all safe.
Thank you for the update. They have been on many of our hearts.
Post a Comment