This weekend, I had occasion to reflect on my life today, and what it's like in relation to my pre-band life. I wasn't just comparing it to the obese years, but also to the years when I just didn't feel good about my weight (i.e. all of them since about 3rd grade) and wasn't generally that physically fit.
Warming my feet before the fire!
Steve and I went up to his parents' house in the Adirondacks and brought 7 others with us for a really great weekend. I went skiing for the first time in 20 years (and before that, I'd only been skiing one other time... in second grade). A few things worth noting.....
1. I had to write my weight on the ski equipment rental equipment. AND I WROTE MY REAL WEIGHT, without feeling embarrassed or wanting to hide it! I never, EVER, thought I'd see that day.
Sledding with my sweetie!
2. On Sunday, we went sledding, and Steve brought out his vintage toboggan, which was at least from the early 70s, if not earlier. It was so awesome, and we had a fantastic -- FAST! -- ride down the hills of the club property where we'll be married this summer! The toboggan fits about 4 people, and when one person said that the way we should do it was with "the heaviest person in the back," I knew that I'd be in the middle.
Here is the old skool toboggan we used -- it was amazing and sailed like a dream!
This reminded me of a day when I was still dating PP, and we had to cram in the car with a bunch of friends. On the way there, I was in the back -- and it was such a tight squeeze -- but on the way back, I wound up taking the front because, the fact was, that I was by far the biggest person and that was the best use of the space. I was humiliated -- but glad not to be squished in the back, being worried that my friends were all resenting me for taking up so much space. That isn't something I ever worry about now. I may not be the smallest girl in the universe, but I'm a healthy, reasonable size and I feel good. No -- it's more than that -- I don't feel like sh*t anymore, and I don't feel badly about my size, my body or my weight. And, even better than that, I was excited to try a day of skiing (P.S. I sucked and ate sh*t like 900 times... I am so bruised... not sure it's for me!!) and to do sledding, running up snow covered hills, and just playing around like a kid. It was awesome.
Dinner with friends at the house on Saturday! I made salmon in a Thai sweet chili maranade with salad, couscous and sweet pea tendrils & sugar snap peas. Yum yum. Pie for dessert....


4 comments:
Fantastic news on the skiing...always a thrill to do something that you haven't done for years. I went surfing in Bali and couldn't wipe the smile off my face...it's these moments you realise how good you feel about yourself....(PS I won't be skiing again though...last time I was on crutches for 3 months!) LOL...looks like you had a fab weekend. x
what some wonderful NSV's and I love how you still reflect on how far you have come. You would have never been able to run up and down that hill and ski being overweight. Last time I went snowboarding I fell so many times I had bruises on my forehead===youch!
It makes me happy to see you so happy! You deserve it.
I always offer to drive because of the whole squishing into the back thing. I can't wait for the days I can slide into the back easily.
Glad you had such a fun time.
Post a Comment