Friday, April 10, 2015

A Positive Deflation

So.... if I look at my blog, I've been thinking over having a little unfill for about two years.  Why is that?  Well.. I have reflux from time to time when I'm sleeping, and I have to be pretty vigilant about not eating or drinking for a few hours before I go to bed to avoid that.  Unfortunately, that's not always practical, especially since I switched firms in October and have been working much longer hours, and don't always have the luxury of having dinner before 9 p.m.  (Don't get me wrong, I am HUGELY happy about this move -- I love the new firm, and the work is more interesting than ever.)

I've been thinking more seriously about the unfill lately because the reflux has been more frequent and I really, REALLY do not want to do anything that might damage my band or my stomach.  I want to do everything I can to avoid creating a situation that makes me have to have it taken out.  If that happens on its own, so be it, but I don't want it happening on my watch.

Longtime bandster CindyLew, who many of you oldtimers will remember (though she took her blog down a while ago), contacted me recently and we were e-mailing about these issues.  She inspired me to call my doctor, and I went in yesterday and had my first unfill since June 2010!  I am now at 2.75 cc in my 5 cc band, and I slept like a dream last night!  I also was able to eat kale at dinner (even though I normally don't like kale), which is tough enough that I was worried about missing a bite and getting stuck.  I think I'm at a good fill, and I hope that being proactive about the unfill (er, if you can call hemming and hawing about it for 2+ years before finally getting it done...) will help me to avoid problems with my band.



12 comments:

Amy W. said...

Kale. Yucky. No. Tastes like earth. like soil. Not even in smoothies. Can.Not.Do.It

Now, yes. I support your decision for the unfill. As we get further and further out from our banding date, I worry about things going wrong a little more than I did the first few years. I am having my first Barium swallow next week....just to make sure everything is good to go.

Keep us posted!

KajunDee said...

You were banded a year before me and was one of the first blogs a began reading. It's so great to your doing so well!

Bonnie said...

Glad to hear the unfill is making you feel better. You are definitely a band rock star.

MandaPanda said...

So glad to hear that you're feeling better after your unfill. :)

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

I have been having major acid issues and I let it go too far. Fortunately, no major stomach or band damage for me, but I know I am lucky. I too, considered getting an unfill, but I chose to try to fix my reflux issues with medicine first. I still have a few pounds to go and know restriction may lessen as I lose the last 20lbs. I'm going to wait and see.
I'm sure it must feel freeing to be able to eat more variety of foods. I'm curious if your hunger levels have changed at all or if you are still seeing the benefit of curbed hunger from the band.

I"m glad the unfill it's helping you and good luck with the acid issues!! Just FYI- my gastroenterologist put me on 40mg Prilosec - and it's helped me a lot, but it's taken a few weeks to realize the benefit. 20mg is avail over the counter.

Louie said...

I've been experiencing the same thing with the reflux. I went to my doctor (about 6 mos ago, I'm ashamed to say) and he's advised me to have a Barium swallow. Because of your post, I'm going to schedule it. I definitely don't want anything to go wrong with my band!
And on another news front - wait for it - I've gone back to boot camp!

Darlin1 said...

I'm proud of you for doing what was needed!

Have you thought about raising the head of your bed....just a little? It makes a big difference....a suggestion from my Internist....Good for everyone!

XO

Judi said...

Wow, Catherine.....It must have been something in the stars that brought me to your blog today! I have been dealing with heart burn and acid reflux for about a month now. It came out of nowhere! At first, I thought it was due to some real stresses that are going on in my world coupled with my crazy schedule....my mind completely avoided thinking it might be band related. Yet, never, ever has my body reacted to life with heart burn or indigestion of anything of that sort. So, of course, I thought I was dying...
Anyway, after quite a bit of research and reflecting on some situations of others, I came to the conclusion that it was my band. I guess this happens....8-(
Glad to hear things are going well for you! Congrats on the new job too!
Onward!
Judi

Amanda Kiska said...

Better late than never?

I'm glad it is working out for you.

Sarah said...

SO GLAD you decided to do that! I was dealing with reflux for a while, so definitely a sign to watch. Of course, I ended up being that 1% of people with a different issue, but glad you're feeling better and on top of things! xoxoxox

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

High, girl! What a fab-YOU-lous opportunity to serve you while on earth; I'd also looove to write many stimulating, zzAny novels with you Upstairs! Just a savvy lil' witty ditty on why we ROTE our 22 blogs:

Faith, hope, and love -
the greatest of these is love:
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love.
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe
(what I write);
God believes in you.
God. Bless. You.
Meet me where the Son never goes down…

Justine said...

I also had to have a defill recently because of the reflux; I put up with the heartburn and reflux for quite a while as I was worried that the defill would lead to weight gain, before deciding that it really wasn't a good thing healthwise to be dealing with the heartburn/reflux on a daily basis. Since the defill the reflux is gone, thank goodness and the heartburn is much less of an issue. The weight is up a couple of pounds, but I think it's worth it (so far...) Hope it works for you too.