Sunday, October 23, 2016

It's My Eighth Bandiversary!

I can hardly believe it's been eight years since my lap band surgery.  So many good things have happened since then.  I got to enjoy feeling in control of my weight for the first time in my life, to stop a terrible cycle of negative self-talk about my weight, and to become comfortable in my skin.  But it's so much more than that.

Eight years ago today, I changed my life and the course of my future.  By freeing myself from the food and fat prison, I've been able to live in a way that I couldn't before.  Working out is part of my life now, and I really enjoy it.  I love good food and cooking, and I'm able to enjoy both without the guilt I used to feel because I now have the ability (thank you, band) to stop before I eat too much.  I go hiking, enjoy the beach and have a wardrobe full of beautiful dresses, cute jeans and other things I couldn't have fit into eight years ago.

During the past eight years, I met and married my incredible husband, who is the warmest, kindest person I've ever known, and I love him more than words can say.  My career is going gangbusters, and the roster of clients who want to work with me practically makes me giddy.  (The side effect of work going so well is that I've been working my @$$ off for the past two years, and the lack of free time makes it hard for me to get in as many workouts as I'd like.  So, yes, I am STILL carrying around that extra 5 pounds, which is really annoying to me, particularly, since I know that I haven't lost it because I haven't done the work to lose it.  Whatever.  I'll get there when I get there.)

I am going to get real here.  I hated being fat, and I am grateful not to be obese or overweight anymore.  I know that it's very unlikely that I would be married to my husband today if I met him at my heaviest -- he wouldn't have looked twice at me.  Now that he knows me, I know that he would love me at any weight, but I can't imagine that our relationship would have gotten off the ground if I'd been at 230 when we met.  I also have to think that at least some part of my success at work has to do with my appearance.  There are all kinds of studies (e.g., see this article from Psychology Today) finding that people make negative judgments about obese people, and I'm happy that my weight doesn't have me starting off at a disadvantage.

I worry when I read about so many others having to have their bands removed.  I don't want to lose mine, and I do what I can to take care of it by going in for an annual esophagram and check-in with my band doctor, by not keeping it too tight, and by doing what I can to avoid getting stuck and PBing (not that it doesn't happen from time to time).  I still weigh myself nearly every day to make sure that my weight isn't creeping up, I pay attention to what I eat, and I workout 2-3 times a week (I need 3-4, but this is what I can do right now).

Would I do the surgery again if I could go back in time?  You bet your @$$ I would.  It's one of the very best things I've ever done for myself, and I have never -- not for a second -- wished I hadn't done it.  So, dear band -- and dear bandster friends -- I am very glad to be on this journey with you through the past eight years and counting.  Cheers!

7 comments:

Bunny said...

Congrats on making your 8th Bandit year! You sound like you're doing everything right and I shouldn't see any reason that things should change. Sounds like you are also staying nicely in control and being accountable with the scale, where I think a lot go wrong.

Sadly as you know, my band broke early on, and I never got that window of opportunity back, it was a huge farce. I was jealous (not in a mean way) of most bloggers over the years and bitterly regretted not having a bypass. I know for me it was the bad choice, but I was talked out of bypass on the day of the operation - should have stuck with my guns!! HAHA! Anyway, Im now 7 weeks post band to bypass in one op and 35lbs down. Looking forward to finally being in 'normal' section of society… Like you say - there is a lot of derogation towards the obese, and it expends insidiously. So mean and fattest, but thats our world.
Huge congrats. Keep blogging! There aren't many of us left!!

Xx hugs, Bunny xX

Kelly Rodriguez said...

Happy Bandiversary! Your blog was the first I read before my own RNY five and a half years ago. Like you, I wouldn't change a thing. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Congratulations on all counts. It's a lovely life, indeed.

Ana said...

Happy Baniversary!! I got my lapband a few months after you did, and weighed in at about 20 lbs more. I have kept up with your posts since you started and you have been a great inspiration. Funnily enough, I often wonder how you're doing...that girl in New York...


I still have my lapband, although I never lost quite as much as you did, I have kept off about 60 lbs. I don't exercise enough, and that is the missing piece of the puzzle. Next year, I turn 50, and I am determined to figure out the exercise!! Thank you thank you for giving us updates!!

Sarah Fogler said...

Very belated, but congratulations!!! I'm so glad that the tool continues to work for you, and I love how happy and strong I've watched you become!!! Here is to many, many more years with the band!!! Cheers!

Fluffy said...

Congrats! Glad everything is going so well.

Tim Morgan said...

Great to meet you this evening. Can't wait to read all of your blogs!

Bandster said...

Hi Catherine, how are you doing, time for an update (lol I can hardly talk!) Did you get rid of the pesky few pounds and find time for more work outs?
Hx