Thursday, October 30, 2008

First restaurant outing a success!

Last night, I met up with my friends Erika and Marjorie at our usual spot -- the bar at Aquavit, which is a Scandanavian restaurant in midtown (we go there so often that we call it "the Annex").

Both M & E know about my surgery, so that made things easier. I had my first post-op (2) glass(es) of wine (though regretfully today, just because the scale didn't move), and we also had dinner at the bar, as usual. Normally, we get the Swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes, which are to die for, but I didn't really think having that pureed into a liquid would be all that consistent with the spirit of my post-op diet!

Instead, I checked out the restaurant's menu on-line ahead of time, then asked our favorite bartender (John) to recommend the most liquid soup. I wound up having the lobster bisque (minus the shrimp dumpling they usually garnish it with), and it was delicious. I didn't miss the Swedish meatballs (which my friends enjoyed), and I know that if I'd been there with someone who didn't know about the surgery, they would never have realized I wasn't eating like everyone else. YAY. Gives me more confidence for next time!

No comments: