Thursday, June 3, 2010

Memorial Day in New Mexico!

Sculptures at the entrance of the Hyatt Tamaya

I took two extra days off over the Memorial Day weekend and headed to New Mexico to meet my mother, my sister (again, technically, "ex-step-sister") and her mother at a resort called the Hyatt Tamaya in Santa Ana Pueblo. It's a gorgeous spot, and Christine (my sister) and I have been there together before.

Having an iced coffee at an outdoor cafe after lunch

The weather was spectacular! Really sunny and gorgeous. I was able to start almost every day with a 75 minute yoga class at the resort's gym, which was a wonderful way to get centered, get some exercise and begin the day in a nice frame of mind. One day, I did that class, played tennis for two hours with Christine, then went to the pool. . . IN MY BIKINI (!). . . then had a 90 minute hot rock massage (phenominal), then a dinner that started with rose champagne and ended with dark chocolate fondue. Not too shabby!! :)


Here is a shot of the pool where I spent most of my pool-time. There is a great slide in this building!


Me, coming out of the slide!
One of the biggest NSVs for me on this trip was that I had bought a bunch of new outfits. Obviously, the bikini was one of them, but I also bought the cute tennis outfit shown below, some new dresses (including the one in the first photo), and a bunch of really cute workout clothing. It felt so great to be able to wear those cute outfits and to just feel good. I was comfortable in the heat, my tennis game and endurance is SO much better after a year of boot camp (!), and I just really enjoyed feeling fantastic and being comfortable in my skin.
-
One day, I was sitting next to a very heavy woman at the pool. She was really well dressed, had a nice family and was reading Laura Bush's biography. But she sat out there fully dressed, despite that it was really warm. I really wanted to tell her about the band, but I didn't because I did not want to upset her and/or make her feel bad about her weight. I have the impulse to tell people about the band all the time, when I think it's something that could help them. But I do know that hearing that you're heavy enough to be a candidate for WLS probably is not welcome news to everyone. So, I hold back almost all of the time.
My new tennis outfit!

One night, we went over to the casino and bowled with my nephew and his grandfather (his dad and grandparents live in NM, so they were able to visit with him while we did more grownup stuff during the day).

Bowling togs
Helping my nephew bowl! I was so stressed that he wanted to put his fingers in the ball! I thought he might get hurt, but it was fine!

Me, channeling Mary Catherine Gallagher! Hey. . when you make as many gutterballs as I do, it's wise to do it with flare!

Christine and I had actually planned this trip to celebrate our mutual 40th birthdays. One night, the moms took us to a really nice restaurant (Prairie Star) near the resort for a celebratory dinner. Here we all are, on the restaurant's terrace. My hair looks crazy, but whatever!

Here my mom and I are at the dinner of the champagne and fondue! I wore my cougar dress. . . partially in honor of the very cute 25 year old guy at the spa who we spent a lot of time talking to and who wanted us to meet him for a drink at the casino! I'm pretty sure that was directed right at me, so. . rar! :) LOL

19 comments:

Robin said...

You look great and it looks like you had a great time! (BTW, love Prairie Star.)

Unknown said...

You look great! Glad you had a good time.

CC said...

great pics & sounds like you had a great time! go on with your cougar self! lol

MB said...

I love the white pants/black top look. Your trip sounds amazing!!! And the pool looks super cool!!! I'm glad you had a good time.

MandaPanda said...

Sounds like a delightful weekend! I think I need one of those...25 year olds I mean. LOL. You look absolutely fantastic!!!

-Grace- said...

It sounds like you had a great time!

You look incredible!! :)

Theresa said...

You are amazing! To feel good in your own skin, what a victory for you! That's one that I want so badly, you inspire me everytime I visit your blog....thank you for that!

Alexis said...

What a great way to celebrate 40! You look marvelous! As always you've been one of my biggest inspirations since I got banded a year ago!

Sarah said...

You look just beautiful and relaxed... what a great way to spend time! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself and treated yourself to those cute outfits... Glad you had a good time!

Kristin said...

What a great vacation! You look amazing, Catherine. So glad you enjoyed it all!

LDswims said...

Sounds like a super fabulous getaway/weekend/holiday! I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Sherry said...

You wildcat! Lovin' the white pants too. And NM is one of my favorite places in the world. DH and I went there for our anniversary last year. It is so calming there.

Butterfly/Amy said...

Looks like it was a wonderful weekend!

Maree said...

So envious of your vacation - looks fantastic (and you look great too). I too have the urge to tell people who could benefit from WLS about it - an urge I suppress as it may not be welcomed!

Gwen said...

Wow, what an awesome vacation! You look amazing, as always!

Nicole said...

Catherine you look amazing!! and how cool to go with your "modern family" I to stop myself from telling people about the band when I see strangers that the band could do amazing things for.

Girl Bandit said...

What a fantastic trip...you look great in everything. I would have loved a bikini photo though

Liz - Lizzle - Libby Lou said...

You look so great in all the pics! I love all your new outfits!!!

Gen said...

I just love the Tamaya, it is so weird seeing your pictures there! You were so close! Its a 3 hour drive for me and Robin. Isn't it the best? And now you know the amazing weather we have out here all the time!

I just got back from Santa Fe, and when I drove past the Tamaya I thought of you, naturally!

You look gorgeous.