Photo on the left is me, two days after surgery. The one on the right is from last weekend.
A few interesting things have happened this week. For starters, several months ago, I randomly ran into a guy (Jason) who I used to see when I was in law school. He was extremely good looking, was a graphic design student at the Corcoran School of Art in D.C., and lived in my apartment building. My friends and I used to call him "the dirty hottie" before we got to know him because. . well, he was so cute that he made our minds wander! :) In any event, we met, wound up seeing one another for a few months while I was on hiatus from my relationship with my law school boyfriend, and we became really good friends.
When I ran into Jason, I was having dinner with a friend at a pub near my office. It had been 10 years or so since we'd seen one another, but he came up to me, and I recognized him right away. We exchanged information and have been trying to get together ever since (he lives elsewhere, but gets to NYC regularly for work). Anyway, last night, he e-mailed on the off-chance that I was free, and we wound up having dinner at a cool restaurant in Soho where he knew the chef and half the staff. They kept bringing out all sorts of wonderful things for us to try, and we were given some serious superstar treatment.
It was great to see him (he is still ridiculously cute) and to catch up (don't get too excited. . . he is married. . has two kids and he and his wife just separated and are living apart. . too messy for me). It was great to be able to pick up as though no time had passed. For me, this was really funny because Jason has no idea that I'd gotten so heavy in the intervening years. I'm kind of like (internally): "Hi! I've looked this good the whole time!" He said that he thought I looked just the same, and said something about how good it was that I was in such good shape. (I was like. . "Oh, if you only knew the long road it's been!" -- though I didn't say anything of the sort!)
In other news, tonight, I finally made it to this new spin studio near my house. It's a really cool studio (you can see the name below) and the class was fantastic -- great music, a really motivating instructor, and a challenging full-body workout (we even did a segment for the upper body using weights).

When I got to the studio, I started thinking about Gilly's recent post about the annoying "fat-checker" Zumba instructor at her gym. That made me think about what these people would think of me, coming in to do this challenging spin class -- and I realized that, to them, I probably read as a fit, athletic person. That was kind of a surprising realization, maybe because I hadn't thought about it before. Even in Boot Camp, I was about 30 or 40 pounds heavier when I started, so they know more about from whence I came! After more than a year of Boot Camp though, I have some muscles (to be said as "musckles" a la Popeye) and am in good enough shape that I can do any normal gym's classes without keeling over.
It's also kind of surprising to me -- someone who avoided working out for so long, who NEVER, EVER thought of herself as athletic, and who was just not self-motivated about the gym -- that I found this new gym through word of mouth, followed up on my own, and went to the class all by myself. That, my friends, is an NSV beyond anything on my wish list. It did not occur to me that I would become someone who would be that self-motivated.
It's amazing, but all those workouts have had such a great impact on how my body looks, and how I feel -- health-wise -- that I want to keep them up. If you look back through this blog, you'll see a bunch of posts through the months about how I felt badly about the fact that I wasn't doing what I was supposed to on the gym front, but I did eventually pull it together. So, if you aren't feeling motivated, don't give up. Just keep trying to motivate yourself and keep trying different types of exercise until you find something you like.
So, there is a theme to my post tonight, which just popped out at me. It's about getting used to the different way we are perceived once we get to goal. For me, it's a real pleasure. I like it, and it tickles me that, after 20 months of working with my band, people who don't know me assume that I've never been seriously overweight.
I am so overwhelmed by the feelings of gratefulness and happiness that I have about finding a tool that would let me get to this wonderful, healthy and extremely positive place. The burden that this has lifted from me is so much greater than the 78 pounds I have lost, and I love it that I finally am able to live my life appreciating how I look, instead of feeling like sh*t that I am not flawlessly perfect.

19 comments:
Catherine - I'm really happy for you and you look WONDERFUL! I'm about 5 lbs from goal and still have not gotten myself into a regular exercise regimen. Walking with hubby almost daily, to the Y more infrequently now that it's summer, and cranking out the old free weights lying around the house. But a consistent work up a sweat type workout, no.
You sound very grateful to be given a "second chance" at being content with your weight and that's great.
All good things will come to you I'm sure.
Your pics always amaze me... you just look SO great! I am not sure I could do the cycling thing, it might get to be too much/boring for me.
I can't wait to be perceived as a hottie - like YOU!
What a great post and makes me so excited for when I do get closer to goal. Even though I've lost just over 100 pounds and people do notice, I do still have a bit to go.
I've been wanting to check out a spin class for sometime now and think I have finally run out of excuses! It sounds like you had a blast!
Amazing post, thank you. So funny, my official "before" pic (of my last supper) I am wearing pretty much the same uniform - black stretchy dress. I can only hope I look as good as you when I'm done with this journey.
I love that new black dress!
Catherine..after reading your blog religiously (and having read all of it from the beginning at least twice), I thought it was about time I post! I live in NYC as well and work in Finance..throughout your blog, I have related to so many things..whether NYC restaurants, stores, always eating out, purses (haha..great taste!) etc. Just thought I would thank you for your blog and also let you know about mine... https://bandedtolose.blogspot.com
Most importantly, want to say thank you!
What you have written about exercise really resonates. I have experienced the same thing with the spin classes I'm doing in Toronto. Can we go to your spin gym when I come visit? Can you believe we'd want to!?
that place looks so coooooool!
@Angie -- you are on! Let's go! Will be a blast, and I love it that we would actually WANT to do this! :)
@Gen -- the "new" black dress is actually 10 years old! It's a DKNY dress that I got on sale and only wore once. That was the first time I've worn it since it fit again!
@MLM - Thanks for your nice post! I just checked out your blog -- great to see you on here! :)
great post!!
I want to go with you and Angie when she visits!!! Please?! <3
I love your comparison pics, such a huge difference and you do look totally fit and able! If I didn't know you and I saw you on the street here I wouldn't think twice about your weight.
That must be an amazing feeling - to walk into a gym class and not have to worry about the "Fat Checker"! I am currently training right now with someone and I love her! I can totally see a difference in my body already. I can't wait until the fall - I plan on doing Stacey's Boot Camp again (did it twice a couple of years ago). I will have no fear that Stacey will be a "Fat Checker", 'cause I won't be fat! <3
Catherine , Thanks for the motivation - I need to get back in the gym and get back t it. By the way I love that dress in your after picture.
I've checked out that spin place! Haven't been in, but did the research and am on their email list. I would love to come with you when Ang comes!! So fun. xoxo
I am so jealous. I watched a segment of Regis and Kelly and on their friday workouts she went to SoulCycle. It looked amazing and she had such a great workout
So happy for these awesome feelings you're having. I love the cycle place...before getting heavy, cycling was my thing with DH. He and I did the Covered Bridge Ride in Lancaster, PA 4 years ago...it was 70 miles and the longest ride of my life. I'm not into the gym...get my exercise primarily through brisk 5K walks but I wouldn't mind cycling again once I get down to 155.
You look great as always...thanks a million for stopping by my blog...it means the world to me.
You look so amazing and I agree about finding the right exercise. I'm one of the oldest at my gym but tonight saw a man with a big pot belly and my first thought was "good for him for going to the gym". It takes a lot of courage to go through that door where we always perceived ourselves as being assessed as not belonging. Funny thing is, we are the ones who should be at the gym. But you are right, you are now one of the skinnies we see working out and now we have to realize, they could have been just as big as us when they started. Thanks for the reminder.
Your story is so inspirational-I love reading your blog.
Great post Catherine and thank you for the lovely comment on my blog.
I am going through this same thought process right now. Like with skiing, or anything athletic. I think "You can't possibly do that Amy" bc in my mind I am still unfit. Then I have to remind myself that at 179, I will not be the biggest person in the room, and that after over a year of working out...I am pretty fit! HA! Like the kickboxing class I am doing tonight. I am scared that it will kill me! But I am going to be okay!
Post a Comment