Driving back from the beach in an open-topped jeep -- fun!

In keeping with this summer's trend, I went out of town last weekend. This time, I headed to the Hamptons -- to the town of Amagansett -- with my friend Hayley, who has a summer share out there. I really see a difference in how much I enjoy summer, the beach and hot weather with 79 pounds less on my frame. Actually, I enjoy it more than I did when I weighed this exact same weight in my 20s and thought I was too heavy (oh, foolish younger me. . .)!
Here is our house. . . beautiful inside and out!
The other people in the house were really nice, except for one person who I didn't really like. Here is a photo of me, with Hayley (in the middle), and E, who was staying in the house with her boyfriend, D.

Have you guys noticed that people say things about fat people in front of you now? Well, D is one of those people. He made a few comments through the weekend, primarily about how he thought that Ali, the current bachelorette is too fat. He later qualified that (after we all yelled at him) by saying that she is too "flabby" for national TV. Meanwhile, I think she's adorable. . and isn't she like 135 pounds on a 5'8 frame?! WTH?! Another time, he turned to an ad for plus-sized lingerie in a gossip magazine and was like "What is THAT??" His girlfriend told him "It's lingerie that comes in bigger sizes." . . and he said "Oh, underwear for Ali!" What a total jacka$$.
-
I suppose that I could take from this that this idiot has no clue that I've had a serious struggle with my weight . . . in addition to the fact that he's a complete moron and jacka$$ (but then again, that would mean he was sensitive enough to consider my feelings before he spoke. . . hmmm. . . doubtful). I was lying on the beach with him, E and Hayley in my bikini all day Saturday. That was actually after the first round of Ali comments, and honestly, I didn't feel self-conscious around him at all. When I was younger, those comments probably would have had me wearing shorts and a one-piece all day long at the beach. But now, I feel great, and I'm not going to let some imperfect jerk take that away from me. So nyah!! :P
There was a sandcastle competition at the beach when we were there. . so many great entries!
This was my favorite -- a school of dolphins, sharks and killer whales. . made by a group of very cute guys! What could be better? :)

This was my favorite -- a school of dolphins, sharks and killer whales. . made by a group of very cute guys! What could be better? :)

17 comments:
It is so great to see how far you've come Catherine. I have been following your blog since October 2009 and have been inspired by your progress. D sounds like he's very insecure about how HE looks. Otherwise it wouldn't condern him so much how fat someone is for TV. Glad you were able to see past his "smallness"...lol.
I am glad that you were not self conscious around him in a bathing suit. What an ass! You have really come so far and I am so proud of you! Keep enjoying the summer! <3
It's very interesting when that happens...on several levels. First, when guys do or say something about someone being fat that is clearly smaller than me...it makes me think that maybe they see me as super fat. I want to yell "But not compared to where I came from". But it also makes me so damn sad that there are those with that mentality...but I try to find peace that they, like Captain Douchey Pants, are idiots...
Insensitivity abounds in this world doesn't it? There is so much discrimination against the overweight. I see and hear it all the time in Southern California. I will never be thin enough for most of the men here. They like them emaciated for some reason - I think it makes the weak men feel more powerful! That's what I tell myself!
You look wonderful and glad you had a great time!!!
"Have you guys noticed that people say things about fat people in front of you now?"
I keep waiting for the go ahead to make fun of fat people, since that seems like THE thing to do. Do "they" send you a letter or something when you are thin enough? I heard someone complaining that the "fat guy" beat him in the last half marathon I ran, so I'm clearly not quite there yet.
(For the sarcasm impaired: Just kidding...)
Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about anything a man who has any opinion one way or another about the bachelorette has to say about anything. No sarcasm.
You are the ultimate jet-setter (sp?) girl. I am so envious. That being said - yes anywho who judges a person based on weight is a jerk- we all know there is much more to a person. If we had all been born during the renaissance - the meatier girls would have been the beauties. Funny how perspectives change.
@Admin -- LOL!! "I wouldn't worry too much about anything a man who has any opinion one way or another about the bachelorette has to say about anything." You make a very good point!!
@Amy -- That's the perfect nickname for that guy! He was so shady on a few levels and seemed incredibly insecure. Was funny to me that someone so desperate to be liked thought it was "cool" to be offensive about women's weight. P.S. He's in his late 30s.
You look great and that vacation looks like loads of fun
Supreme jackass for real!! I would be very worried if I was his girlfriend....
What a jerk. Sounds like you had fun though. And you look amazing as always.
You look terrific, Catherine! Most guys are dip wads anyway. Pay no attention to them. Kudos to you for wearing your bikini!
It must have been hard not to tear him a new one.
You look like you're making the most of summer and having a great time. I think you're spot on about D being insecure. Making fun of other people is a sure sign.
This weekend when i was in Atlanta for my 20 year reunion, I was having lunch with one of my dearest friends who has known me for 25 years. To hear her go on and on about how much everyone had changed at her reunion the year before, was super annoying because each and every comment was about how much weight they had gained. it was only after about an hour, that I finally think she realized what she was saying, not even thinking that yes, I was one of THOSE people. It stung, I have to admit.
Oh and he probably has a really small penis. :)
Isn't it amazing how much our own perspective of ourselves changes? That's been one of the best parts of this journey.
I am thinking of many words that start with "D" and not one of them is nice.
I have been guilty of criticizing poor Ali myself, but only for not arguing with the stylist who insisted on putting giant bows and embellishments on her butt. No one can survive that.
People around me always refer to people or themselves as fat. I am typically twice the size of the person being discussed, but no one seems to notice or think twice. It's like some weird physics theory where my fatness is inversely seen as non-fat because I'm so fat. I never said my theory made sense or that I passed physics.
Post a Comment