One of my resolutions for 2011 was to take an actual, proper vacation. For the past three years, I haven't taken off more than a day or two at once, largely because I thought I should stay close to home given the state of the economy and my need to safeguard my relationships with my clients. Well. . . brace yourself. . . I'm taking a whopping THREE days off for a trip!! (Babysteps, people. . babysteps!)
My friend Marjorie and I have been brainstorming about where to go, and yesterday, we bit the bullet and booked our flights and hotel for Paris. She lived there for several years, and we both speak French (I have a degree in French literature (and Political Science) and spent a year at a French law school), and we both absolutely love that city. (I know. . saying you love Paris is like saying you love bacon. . .it's not exactly a tough sell!) So, we're heading over for a five day weekend in April! 

This will be the first time in my life that I've been able to actually shop in Paris. In my younger (and thinner) years, I couldn't afford anything, and in my older . .er, less lean. . years, my size made it impossible. French women are tiny, people! Even now, I'll probably be at or near the biggest size in the stores, at a whopping size 8 (ha ha.. I still get a thrill seeing that number on the tags in my clothes. . funny how I stopped cutting out the sizes, isn't it!). :)
-
After all the shopping I did in recent months, I'm not planning to do any serious buying in Paris, but it's nice to know that I'll be able to browse without wondering if some mean person is looking at me and thinking about how ridicule it is that the fat American is trying to shop in their store. Actually, no one is going to look at me now and think I even AM a fat American. Wow. And, my feet aren't going to hurt from walking around all day like they did the last time I was there!
-
I'm looking forward to this trip so much. It's been three years since I've been in France, and I'm excited to go back with my friend who knows Paris so well and see sights that are familiar and new to me as well. I never get tired of that city. It's just so beautiful.

26 comments:
That sounds so fun! I would love to go to Paris (England/France is my next big trip destination). I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Very exciting! You will have a great time browsing and hopefully can pick up a little something that when you wear you will say "oh, I picked this up at a little shop in Paris". Not to mention all the great food and wine! I think French food seems very band friendly with small portions and sauce.
Sounds wonderful, so man blessings to count!
What fun trip to plan for...planning is half the fun! :) Can't wait to see pics from your trip
Good for you, Catherine! I know you will have a wonderful time, and I can't wait to hear all about it!
OMG i am so jealous! I would love to go to paris but my hubby is not a fan of the french :(
Oooh, I love this vacation! Can't wait to hear about your adventures and see photos. And get a look at the fab clothes you find.
Sounds like you are going to have so much fun. I agree Paris is beautiful. I couldn't full appreciate it when I went ( I was 12). I can't wait to go there again. I can't wait to see the pics when you return.
Sounds wonderful. Lucky you. Have fun for me!
Tracy
bandedadventures.blogspot.com
Awww sounds wonderful...We honeymooned there and I thought it was so beautiful. I agree with Susan, French Food is very band friendly with the sauces and smaller portions, albeit the butter LOL. France is a sensory explosion... I hope you have a great time.
Oh my...you are gonna have a blast! I went there for my honeymoon and it took my breath away!
You gots to try and have one of the brie sandwiches...DIVINE!
Wonderful little getaway. Have a fantastic time!
That sounds like such fun! I hope you have a blast!!!
You deserve it! Have a wonderful time!
OK...I'm always jealous of your posts but I am downright green with envy over this one. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time you lucky duck!
Yay! You are making your Resolutions come true! I am so excited for you. I can't wait for the photos!
How incredibly exciting.. April in Paris.. oh the clothes, the food, the wine.. the men... I can not wait for the reports, pictures and updates.. pack lightly you will be hitting the shops.
That is so exciting!!!
BTW - I was watching Parenthood last night and there is a lady on there who you remind me of. She could easily be your sister!!!
lovely!! maybe "mister big" will follow you there! :-)
Wahoo! Lucky you! I love Paris! As you said who wouldn't! It is grand in any season! I am happy for you and wish I were going..But alas and alac...it is not to be, for me...My dear girl, I doubt that people looked at you and thought what is "she" doing in here, your smile and personality have always seen you through. I hope you and M have a Glorious time Paris, Ahhha, it is glorious! I know it will be!Fabulous! Have a great time! Mom
I am so excited for you.
So happy for you...sounds like a dream come true.
I hope you have a great time, I can't wait until I am on my way there in October :o)
GET OUT OF TOWN!!!!! Well, you will! Wow! So excited for you, and so excited for your wardrobe!!!!! I think you should go into all the fabu fashion houses just to try things on and have the experience! In my opinion, I think that this is a credit card worthy experience! Go on, live a little! Of course, in adidtion to the fasion, I'm thinking about the cheese, wine, and bread!! Oh and the patisseries!!! STAY AWAY!! lol
So exciting! And think of how much better the long flight will be!
I am toying with the gift of a big trip once I get to goal. I need a new trophy now that I have my iPad.
You made a cameo in my dream last night. Not to worry it was clean - just bizarre. I was helping you make paper crafts. You could really wield an exacto knife!
Enjoy Paris!! Wow... I haven't been anywhere but a vacation spot (no sightseeing) out of the country for 10 years-- one day, Paris for moi too.
Shop for me.
Post a Comment