Monday, April 11, 2011

Waist Not Want Not...


So, it seems that me being banded is having an impact on S. I'm not sure that our relationship is 100% responsible for this (maybe 75%?), but he has put on somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 pounds in the last three months. Honestly, I don't see it, but he feels like he's too heavy. The reason for this? The guy does not like to waste food -- a good thing in general, but it can be bad when you're dating a bandster who never finishes her meal... So, when we go out to dinner or eat at my apartment, he'll often do a decent job on my leftovers. And... presto change-o.... those extra calories turned themselves into about 10 pounds! Yikes!

Interestingly, I also was a member of the Clean Plate Club from childhood until I was banded. I'd often keep eating until my plate was empty, regardless of whether I was still hungry. Now that I'm banded, I regret to say that I waste a lot of food. I try not to, but I can't always take a To Go box when I'm out, and leftovers (especially steak and chicken) aren't always that band friendly. I also tend to throw out a lot of vegetables... I'll use some of what I buy, but can't always finish everything before it goes bad. I don't like doing that, but I'm not about to consume a ton of extra calories that I don't even want to avoid wasting food. I do try to buy in smaller quantities, but it's not always possible.
-
On the S front, we've been talking about how to remedy his recent gain. I've decided not to offer him my food, but to let him know that he is always welcome to have a bite of whatever I am eating and that, if he wants some, all he has to do is ask. That way I can avoid feeling like a food pusher.
-
We're also going to do a healthy cooking challenge.... so, on nights when we're having dinner in together, we are going to take turns cooking healthy meals... with a view to seeing who can cook the best meal. That started on Thursday night. I made a nice salad (arugula, pancetta, ricotta salata and pears with a dressing of honey, Champagne vinegar, lemon juice, fleur de sel and pepper), followed by pan seared halibut with steamed green beans, roasted tomatoes and fingerling potatoes. Here's a photo... (I tried to rotate it... and saved it as a rotated version... but it's still showing up wrong...)
Lest we go too, too crazy, I also made a tiny dessert... individual lemon tartlets that I made from scratch (we split one). This was a really easy recipe -- the crust has roasted almonds in it (I put them in my coffee grinder because I don't have a food processor), and the curd is basically fresh squeezed lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, eggs and a bit of cornstarch to thinken it. The other thing I did was to tell him that I could only stay over his apartment on Friday night if we could find a workout for me to do on Saturday near his apartment (otherwise, I'd miss my usual yoga class). That was actually really easy -- there is a yoga studio right across the street from his apartment, so I took in a class there, and also got S to go to spin with me on Sunday! I felt so good about us helping one another to be healthy and keep on track with our fitness goals. I think this is a great habit for us to get into, and am sure that it will undo the side-effects that he is experiencing from "banded life!" :)

15 comments:

Gilly said...

Geez, Catherine! When you stay over at his place, is that not enough of a workout for ya? *ba dum bum*

Wanna know something? SAME EXACT THING! My husband bats clean up for ALL of us now! Good thing he's naturally a thin guy, but I have definitely noticed a few extra pounds since he joined the clean plate club x 3!

Dawnya said...

LOL. My husband is a member of this club. Which is a lot of food, since my kids are picky eaters. LOL.

I love the healthy couple habits. Charles needs to read this.

But you have made me extremely hungry this morning look at the food. It looks delicious.

Theresa said...

My husband is a vitim too! He's put on about 10 too. Now, we share a meal when we go out to eat! I'm so happy for you, your meal looks delish, especially the lemon tart, one of my favs!

Susan said...

That looks delicious! You sound so happy and it is wonderful to hear!!

Tina said...

Same here-my husband was putting on weight too. He is doing his own diet thing but we are all benefiting from thinking healthy

xxxooo

Pamela E. Williams said...

So cool. You are helping him get those extra pounds off. Your dinner looks yummm!

That Lemon Tartlet!! Nice!

Sarah said...

You know, I think that this might be my hubby's problem too!!! Never really thought about / noticed it, but I am going to have to gently mention this! Great post - and glad things are going well for you and S!

Steph said...

What a great looking dinner! At first my hubby, Jason, put on some weight when I became a food pusher at the dinner table, but as I've gotten used to serving myself smaller portions or just put everything aside and make it leftovers for the next day, his weight has leveled off and actully begun to lose as well. :) It's an adjustment for everyone...not just the banded ones!

MB said...

Good for you guys working together to make healthy choices!

**And that food looks AMAZING!!!!

tagyourit said...

Same thing here. My husband started gaining weight and we relized it was because I kept giving him my left overs and he would eat them. We talked about it and I don't offer them to him anymore. I go and put them in a Lunch box for the next day. I felt so bad once I realized what was going on.

Kimberly said...

Being banded has changed my thinking about wasting food. I believe that the food is wasted as soon as it is put on a plate, it's up to me to choose how much of it I want to go in to my body. This different mind-frame has helped me a lot with my guilt over leaving food uneaten.

Sandy said...

My hubby eats the stuff I can't finish. Or sometimes I just pack it up and take it home for my lunch the next day. I usually have to order something that at least he will eat if I have problems when we travel since I can't really take it back to the hotel with me. He's a runner, biker and lifts weights (at 57) and keeps the weight off. He comes from a family of overweight boys--two of his bro's weight over 300 lbs so he has to work double hard to keep it off. But for guys it is mostly about the exercise, so have S join in and get that heart rate up!

Dinnerland said...

Good for you guys for avoiding the 'happy weight gain' syndrome!

Mel said...

Great post! I am glad things are going so well for you two:)
I always tell myself "Waste or Waist" Which would I prefer? Well, that makes me feel much less guilty throwing food away:)

Nicole said...

oh man my mouth is watering from your dinner!! I love that you are being healthy together :) sure it makes the realationship even stronger!