I've posted before that my biggest worry about the band is the possibility that something could go wrong and prevent me from relying on it anymore. I don't have any particular reason for worrying about this. I haven't had any problems with my band at all, and I have been good about not keeping my band too tight (which can be a source of problems, according to my doctor).
Out with Steve on Friday night celebrating the engagement of my friends M&B
I've changed my life a lot in the past 2 years and 8 months since I was banded. Exercise has become an important part of my day-to-day life. (I actually hit spin the last three days in a row -- and looked forward to it each time! This would not have happened three years ago.) If I didn't have my band, as long as I could still work out, I am relatively sure that I wouldn't gain back all 80+ pounds that I've lost.But, I would gain back some. You know why? Well, it's because I allow myself to eat a fair amount of cr@p now and, since I can only eat a little of it, it doesn't really impact my weight. But, without the band keeping me in check, I'm pretty sure that my portions would be bigger and that this would translate into more weight.
I'm going to try to make some more changes in my eating, and to make choices that will help me to keep the weight off if I ever do have a problem with my band. I started yesterday... by avoiding what has become a regular thing for me... a mid-afternoon cookie break. My thought is that it's not that hard to make these changes with the band, and if they become habit, I'll be in a much better position if anything ever does happen. And, if the band keeps working like a charm, I'll just be healthier and getting better nutrition. (Not that I'm totally giving up cookies.... or planning to change my wine intake or anything crazy like that.... I'm just going to make some small adjustments and see how it goes.) :)

11 comments:
I think this is a really good idea. The truth is no one knows how the longevity of the band really works and it's good to make the actual lifestyle changes necessary in case it needs to be removed. I think you've made great changes, especially on the exercise front. I suspect you'd continue to be successful even without your band but bravo to you for being prepared!
P.S. Cute pic! You guys look so happy!
cute pic :)
You're a smart cookie!
totally a great idea. I worry about the same thing all of the time. I know that my portions would creep up quickly and I would soon fall down the slippery slope again.
wine? what wine? :)
xxxooo
That sounds so sensible. Ah...me and my wine, I hope I'm never forced to give it up! You guys look adorable!
I know it would be all over for me without my band. My (relative) success has everything to do with the lack of hunger and desire to compulsively eat or overeat -- which the band creates through some hormonal miracle (see the article Amy posted today). Without the band, I'm pretty sure I would gain most, if not all, of the weight back. Which is why, if anything went wrong for me, I would run, not walk, to the next WLS!
Still, it is always really helpful to have such good habits - especially exercise! I was a fat exerciser back in the day - I did not exercise as much as I do now, but I still did it, even at 200+. I am certain it kept me from getting even more enormous!
You're so stinking cute!
You guys look so in love and happy! :)
You are one smart lady!!
Smart woman, that's a great idea. Instill solid good habits now, and reap the rewards with or without the band forever.
You're looking great, Catherine!
Love the pic!
I'm right with you, trying this whole "maintenance" thing on for size. It's hard, and I suspect that trying to keep our weights down will eventually become a bigger struggle than LOSING weight ever was. Sounds like you're doing great though, so keep it up!
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net
Post a Comment