Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mis-steak

I do a pretty decent job of eating things that work well with my band. I'm one of those bandsters who can eat steak sometimes -- but generally can't eat hamburger. With hamburger, I usually get stuck, so I virtually never eat it out, and very rarely eat it at all. It's just not worth the trouble.

When I really crave red meat, which happens about every two or so months, I will typically order filet mignon the next time I'm out. (While I love to cook, I almost never cook red meat at home.) Well, last weekend was one of those craving times. I ordered filet mignon when I was out with two girl friends on Thursday night. It was SO delicious!! But, I got stuck and .... long story involving one bathroom visit later, was not able to get much of it down.
Ah... but I still was really, really craving steak! I was able to carefully eat a few tiny bites when I came back to the table, but the next day, I still had that Must-Eat-Red-Meat feeling. I figure that my body must be telling me that I need iron when I feel like that, so I try to answer the call. Soooooo.... the next night, Steve and I were having dinner with a few friends at a steak house in Tribeca. We arrange to split the filet mignon. Once AGAIN, despite that I was being really careful, I got stuck. Mind you, I'm in the middle seat in a booth, so the fact that I had to get out twice made me feel a bit self-conscious... but it had to happen.

In retrospect, I realize that I was being stupid trying for steak two nights in a row. I should have given my band a break and ordered something easier to eat on the second night. Maybe I could have satisfied the meat craving with spinach on the second night. In any event, I'm not going to do that again. While it's easy enough to handle the situation if I get stuck in a restaurant (I have more than enough warning .. it's no trouble to get to the loo in time), I don't want to BE stuck in the first place, and it does take away from my enjoyment of the experience. Plus, it makes Steve worry, and I don't want him to feel like that.

I'm (lightly) kicking myself over this one. I know better than to try a problem food the day after a stuck episode, since I know my stomach might be irritated. Darn it. I just wanted red meat! Chalking it up to a lesson learned....

15 comments:

MandaPanda said...

Aaaawwww...I'm sorry your steak adventures went awry. Sometimes I get a certain food in my head and just can't shake it until I have it.

Cece said...

Thanks for sharing the lessons. Seeing as I immediately find the restroom (every where I go) - I will now not sit in the middle section of a booth !

tagyourit said...

Have you tried using teh crock pot for red meats? That has made a huge difference for me. It allows it to get very tender. I have noticed that red meat from a restaurant is usually harder for me to process than when my hubby makes it at home. Sorry that happened two nights in a row!

Rhonda said...

Red meat is a no-go for me, too... at least at restaurants. :(

Sorry you had to deal with that, the band is a fickle mistress.

Tina said...

yup..I eat my red meat at home. Quicker exit strategy and safer that way. I have found that cutting across grain helps the issue but still...sucks that you didn't get your steak fix :(..

xxxooo

Theresa said...

I can usually eat a Filet, because I like it really rare, but if it's not going to work, I usually know it on the first bite. Doesn't that just suck when you really want it! Sigh...

Barbara said...

I usually go with the filet as well, but cut it into tiny tiny pieces.. The one food I almost NEVER EVER eat is french fries, but there I was at a baseball game and Chickie and Pete's crab fries called my name.. I had two fries and missed two innings.. when will I ever learn that lesson. some things are just harder to learn than others I guess.. be well

Joey said...

Oh no!

Filet is usually the only read meat I'll have once in a great while.

It's good to know that even though many of us have had the band for several hundred moons now we still have lessons to learn. That sounds bad when I read it out loud. Oh well, I'm leaving it.

Steph said...

Sometimes our head hunger for something specific overrides the "we know better" sensors. I've never had issues with meat (insert chuckle there) but I am that way with broccoli. I LOVE broccoli, but it is not my friend and sometimes I just WANT it and I eat it and I get stuck and have a horrible time of it. Why don't we learn? :)

Anonymous said...

Not a filet--which I love too and which also and become a problem good since my last fill--but for the band friendly iron craving: go to your favorite jewish deli and get a really good chicken liver pate. Yummy--proetien rich and dense and satisfying. And full of iron.

Sandy said...

I'm a filet mignon person too. I crave red meat and have it every couple of months. I usually can only get in about 1 oz though and it usually has to be with some sort of jus or sauce. And I still get stuck on hamburger. What's with that.

Stephanie M. said...

I have a VERY hard time with pork chops lately...totally understand. Sorry it didn't work out!

Christine said...

Have you tried hamburger without the bun? That helps. If you're making it homemade, you can always chop up the ground beef (seasoned with some garlic salt!) which also helps prevent it from getting stuck.
Christine
www.phoenixrevolution.net

Marie said...

Ugh - hate it when that happens. It's amazing how you realize all of the sudden that you rarely eat red meat anymore. I know I don't either. I don't miss it that much but sometimes a hamburger sounds so good.

So sweet that Steve gets worried!!! I just met a Steve too! :)

Mari said...

Hi Catherine, I've been following for a while but have only recently got my own blog up and running and have been approved for surgery! Yours was the first lap band blog I read and I am so grateful for you as I have learnt so much! Sorry to hear about the mis-steak, getting stuck must be horrid! If you have a minute and want to take a look at my blog and give me a shout out I'd be so grateful. http://thetaleofabandcalledbeyonce.blogspot.com/