Monday, November 21, 2011

Birthday Surprises!

Last Tuesday was my (gulp!) 41st birthday! The week passed by in a flash! Steve had "booked" me for Monday and Tuesday nights, but wouldn't tell me what we were doing. On Monday, we met on the subway after work on our way to our mystery plans. He was so funny -- carrying a big bag of presents, pretending they (white & pink paper with Eiffel Towers on it!) were for his dad, saying things like "So, what should we do tonight?" and "This is the F train, right?" (It wasn't) and "Did you bring your snorkle and your spin shoes? I'm sure I told you to bring them!") We were laughing so hard that we actually missed our real stop and had to get off our train and transfer to the uptown one to get back to our stop!




B-day cake!

After we got off of the subway, he led me through the West Village (a neighborhood where I lived for 5 years, so I know it very well) and I was totally unclear about where we were going! Finally, we came to a spot called B-a-r-b-uta, which has a great chef's table in the kitchen... and where we've talked about having a party before. I had NO clue that there might be a party in the works that night... but when we got to that particular restaurant, my radar went off! The hostess led us over to another table... I spotted a few friends at the chef's table... and the jig was up!! What a great surprise!!




B-day dinner at the Chef's table




I took this from my chair -- they were right behind me!



The food and the company were fantastic. What a wonderful surprise, and I'm totally blown away by Steve being able to pull this off so well without me having the faintest idea!! How I love that guy!!




The next night, for my actual b-day surprise, he took me to the Theater District, to a very cute Italian restaurant called Be-c-c-o. I knew then (because he had to tell our waiter) that we were heading to a 7 p.m. show, and it turns out that he got tickets to R-e-latively S-p-e-aking, which is a series of 3 one-act plays, including one by Woody A-l-len. I really enjoyed it, and it was such a fun treat to get to the theater!






After dinner, we played "tourist" and sat in Times Square having a glass of wine (which you're not probably supposed to do..) :)



In my fabulous new trench coat that Steve got me for my birthday! It's exactly like the one K-a-te Mi-ddl-eton wears (love her..)!

What a great birthday it was! And once again, I got to have a birthday in my forties (!) without feeling freaked out about the 4 before that number... and it's only because of my band and because I'm able to be in this decade looking and feeling better than I did in my 30s. Thank you, band!!

25 comments:

MandaPanda said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun surprise and you look fabulous in that coat!

Lap Band Gal said...

Happy Birthday! That coat is A-MAH-ZING! :)

Sarah Fogler said...

How fun!!! Happy Birthday - so glad you had a wonderful and enjoyable time!!! You look beautiful!

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday - you look fantastic! xx

Jen said...

Happy Birthday! You look radiant and happy and oh so beautiful as always. So great to see you happy and in love and living it up with your loved ones. The coat is FAB. I keep meaning to tell you, I was purse shopping recently and I couldn't stop thinking of you explaining your S. Sommers shopping plan. I love it. I think it's the ideal plan. I ended up implementing it on a cosmetics & skincare purchase. Works the same way, right?
*grins*
P.S. Thanks for the comment on my skin. It made me feel better. Love ya!

Jacquie said...

Happy Belated birthday....I'm wondering what the Christmas present may be??????

You look so happy and I am so happy for you both!

Nora said...

What great birthday surprises! Glad you enjoyed:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. Your celebration surprises sound amazing.

Kelly said...

Happy, happy birthday, Catherine! It looks like you had a fabulous celebration. I have always wanted to do a chef's table . . .what fun! Love the trench!

Theresa said...

How fun! He's a keeper!

trishajo said...

fun times!! glad you had such a great bday and an equally great man to share it with!!

Sam said...

You are leading a charmed life!!! and you deserve every second of it from all the hard work you have put into it. Glad you had such a great birthday, and have someone so wonderful to share it with!!!!

Ali said...

What a wonderful birthday you had! So happy for you! I so understand how you feel about celebrating these birthdays without the weight dragging us down.

LOVE the coat!

What's the Suzanne Somers Shopping plan?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Lee Ann said...

What a fun birthday surprise! You look beautiful the coat is amazing on you. Happy birthday.

Gilly said...

Dear Catherine: I hope you are enjoying living my dream life! lol! Happy Birthday!! xo

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! You look stunning in your trench! What a fantastic dinner he planned. I LOVE sitting at the chefs table. It's a fantastic treat and I am sure made turning 41 very memorable. Happy Birthday and Happy Thanksgiving!

Dawnya said...

Happy Belated Birthday. It sounds like it was great time. Loving you in the trench coat.

DiZneDiVa said...

Happy Birthday... To our little
Kate! You look beautiful and so happy! Who could ask for anything more? XOXO *M*

Judi said...

What fun I had reading the fun you had! Happy Birthday! You look gorgeous...as always. Love that coat. Love it on you! I love Chef Table dinners! We are going to have to go to a real NYC one next time we are there. Steve looks and sounds like a keeper to me! What a wonderful way to start your 40-something life!
Onward!
Judi

Rhonda said...

Happy late birthday, beautiful lady! What a great surprise. And I LOVE the trench. :)

Kristin said...

You look incredible and it sounds like you had loads of fun on your birthday!

Steve is certainly treating you well and you so deserve it. I hope that you have a blessed Thanksgiving with friends and family!

Love you

Jessica said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Love the coat and glad you had a fabulous time!

Dinnerland said...

Happy, Happy Birthday! Welcome to 41- now that didn't hurt a bit, did it?

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) Birthday! You look joyful and radiant - so glad you had such a fun celebration.

Becky said...

What a fun birthday! Happy Birthday, btw :) I think it only adds to the story that you missed your stop because you were laughing too hard!