Thursday, February 16, 2012

Baby Post Follow-up

Thank you guys so much for your thoughtful comments on my post yesterday (and e-mails, too)! Steve and I have talked about all of these issues, and we're both on the same page. We both want to have children, but we're both a bit terrified of the lifestyle changes. I don't worry about us being good parents -- he's such a loving guy, and I think I could do a decent job, too. But I do worry about the fact that we'd have to rush right into procreation mode the second we get married (assuming that happens.. I don't see no ring on my finger!), and that's a lot of pressure.

On another note, I was at Steve's a few weeks ago and saw a book on his coffee table entitled "Before You Say I Do - Important Questions for Couples to Ask Before Marriage"! I was like.. hello! What is this?!? :) I was really happy to find out that he'd bought the book for us to go over together, and that he'd already read it and left it out so that he'd remember to give it to me. I love the level of seriousness that this demonstrates, and the book has led to a few really good conversations, even though we've pretty much covered all its major topics already.
Hey... if I get married, I'll just might finally get to accomplish the one "PRO" from my pre-surgery Pro/Con List that I haven't been able to accomplish..... not being a fat bride! Hey -- maybe waiting til I was over 40 to tie the knot isn't such a bad thing after all.... ;)

18 comments:

Nora said...

I am not at all surprised that you two are on the same page, but it is great to hear nonetheless:)

october 11 said...

That is fabulous!!

Jen said...

So sweet! I love you two together!
I wasn't sure how to respond to your post yesterday other than everything you said is very valid, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I know you'll make the right decision for you and your future husband. You are so very warm and caring, I have no doubts that if you choose to be, you'll be an AMAZING mother.

Lap Band Gal said...

You will be a GREAT mom :-)

MandaPanda said...

He takes a very logical approach to things, huh? I think it's great the two of you are on the same page. You deserve nothing but great things in life!

Darlin1 said...

I knew you both were on the same page!
Now the details....

I had my son at 40 and it's been all good...he's now 20 almost 21. I'd love to talk to you about all this!

XO

Used2bFat said...

How very grown up of you both! My husband and I got married when I was 20 and he was 23 (11 years ago now!) and I must say it was the biggest and hardest transition of our lives. Didn't want to admit it then, but I do admit now that we were WAY too young.

I became pregnant 3 years into our marriage, and I can't tell you how difficult it was. I was in my 3rd year of University. I found out I was pregnant right before my Property Law exam (and somehow managed not to fail the exam).

I was that girl who always said I would never marry and I would never have kids. I wanted to go to Law school, study and work and travel the world.

Ha!

I did finish Law school, I did work, and I have traveled a little of the world, but it has been around my now 2 girls (it took me 7 years to finish my degree). They are my world and I would not have it any other way (although there are times when I think about what could have been).

I wish you and your man all the best!

And thank you for commenting on my blog!

Amanda Kiska said...

Dang! People PLAN to make babies?!?! I thought they came from getting too drunk and having fun in the backseat of a car. Who knew?

Sarah said...

Hey girl... have been following (very quiet on the blog front lately), and so glad that things are working out for you and Steve!!! Regardless of what happens, it will be right. Kids are amazing but also a pain in the ass at time (tonight for me?!?!?)... but worth EVERY second of frustration. I can't speak to not having them, but you'll know what the right thing is to do for the two of you! Enjoy the ride, and "trying" regardless.... (LOL)!

Sarah said...

Maybe I should have said "practicing"... :-)

DiZneDiVa said...

I am so happy you are moving toward marriage... I highly recommend marriage, it is amazing when you find the "ONE"... and it sure sounds like you have. Yay!

Rachel said...

I love his approach! You will both be great parents when the time is right! I love love love following your blog - because I admire you oh so much! xxx

Lap Band Groupie said...

OK, just catching up and I about spilled my coffee over the title!

I have no doubt you'll both make the right decision for you two. I'll tell you that once you make it, you'll have peace and can move on to the next stage of your lives(even if it's without kids, without regrets). It's like when people with kids know they are done/how many to have...it's a little sad for awhile, but it's also freeing that the decision is made.

OH, and if I wasn't such a romantic, I'd tell you to buy him a ring and ask him (he's perfection)!

Love ya!

Janice said...

That was so sweet that he bought the book. I think when you enter a relationship a bit older (hmmm...not that you are old:), older as "just as not in your twenties"), the couple generally has a better idea of what they want and where they are going in life. I don't think it is quite as critical to have as much one on one time together before having children. You have already been together awhile, it can take awhile to get pregnant so you have that time together...just keep listening to your head and be happy. I enjoy reading your blog and watching you blossom! We had our last child at 38 and all was fine. She is a teenager now...so maybe the "fine" part is debatable. :)

Dinnerland said...

Good luck with things... I am watching and waiting to see how it all turns out!
Wish you happiness always...

Jen said...

Just wanted to stop by and say I am so happy for you! You deserve nothing but the best! You will be a Great Mom!! Wishing you and Steve all the Best.

Sarah said...

Sorry for the late comment. I think people only worry about the changes if they are prepared to put the work in that it takes to be a great parent. I'm relieved you are on the same page. It's so heartbreaking when you want different things. xx

Joey said...

I'm a bad friend seeing that I just now read this!

You and I are in somewhat similar boats. This is how I see it: I've spent many years living the spontaneous lifestyle and it IS great and if for whatever reason we can't have kids, like your friend, I will feel like I am a 100% actualized human being. But I had that lifestyle for a long time and am ok with a new lifestyle now. A lot like the band. I spent several years eating pizza and burgers and now my lifestyle is different. Do I miss it? Sometimes. Would I trade it? Never.