Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chicago Recap and Thoughts

I had a great time in Chicago.  Once again, our fabulous organizers did an amazing job, and I really enjoyed seeing some dear familiar faces and meeting quite a few new people as well.

The weather was really gorgeous, and one of the things we did was an art walk around town.  Here I am, inside of some art...   Unfortunately, while I brought my computer, I ... forgot my SD Card (doh!!) so I could only take photos on my phone!

With Joey at the bean!
One of the nicest times I had was at brunch with Joey, Gilly, Stephanie, Deb, Dawnya, Angela, Jenny, Linda, Read and Carmen.  It was so nice to catch up with them -- that is one awesome and hilarious group of amazing women!  I was honored to be included in their brunch, and was completely surprised when they gave me a beautiful engagement present -- a frame engraved with S&C.  Seriously, I totally got choked up.  Well, ladies, that frame is awaiting a true wedding photo, but for now, it has a place of honor in my home, and I put one of my favorite photos of Steve & me in it.  Here's how it looks in NYC... 

So, dear organizers, I can't thank you enough.  This beautiful frame is just a part of it.  Thank you for organizing the Chicago trips and for bringing so many bandsters (and now sleevesters) together.  Thank you for helping us to make even stronger connections within this community and for being such great sources of support, both on-line and off.  Thank you also for dealing with the BS that can't help but accompany organizing any big group meeting!  You all have done a wonderful job, and I hope that newbies will take over and plan future events.

As I said before, I had a really good time in Chicago, but this year felt different to me.  I had a hard time putting my finger on exactly why at first, but then I figured it out.  I was looking through my blog list on Blogger, and looked at some old favorites I hadn't seen (whether on-line or in person) for a while -- some of the bloggers whose support really got me through the peaks and valleys of the first 2 years of this process.   People like Angie (I am in Repair), Jenny R (Life's Little Journey), Sarah (Losing Weight.. Gaining Tons), Cara (the Dash) and Nella (Skinny B- - - -).  I was also thinking of other favorite blogging bandsters (to name only a few) like Amy W, Nicole, Jacquie, Robin, Stephanie, Maria, TessieRose, CindyLew and Roo, who I'd loved meeting during other years' Chicago trips, but who weren't there that year.  I missed all of them -- the trip just wasn't the same for me without you guys!

I was a little down, returning home on Sunday.  In some ways, it felt like the end of an era because things had changed so much from years 1 and 2 to 3.  I had felt a bit like that when I got used to being at goal.  While I was very happy with the status quo, I missed the joy and excitement of losing!  But that time is over, and now I'm on to a different phase, which is fine -- and an inevitable part of making progress.  There is no getting around that this is overwhelmingly a positive thing.  And, this new phase is exciting -- not just maintenance, but living life as a fit person, planning my wedding to Steve, and enjoying my friends, family and life in general all the while.

13 comments:

Jen said...

I so loved meeting you in Chicago! and enjoyed our chat along the lake front. You are just as lovely and gracious as you are in your blog!! Can't wait to hear more about wedding planning!!

Jacquie said...

Thank you for the shout-out! I really missed seeing you and all the others this year Catherine. However, the reason I missed it this year (celebratory trip to Vegas with Steve after he finished his radiation treatments) I wouldn't trade for the world. I don't have to tell you how precious love is!

I am so happy that I was able to make the snowy Bandster meet-up we had in January though so I had my "Catherine Fix" for 2012....we have to plan something for 2013 when you will be a married woman! I'm so thrilled for you by the way!

jennxaz said...

I loved meeting you Catherine...you are that longtime bander that I read first when I started this journey..so you really are a legend to me. I love seeing your travels and planning your wedding. You truly are as beautiful(inside/and out) in person as you are in your blog!

MB said...

I miss some of those folks you mentioned online as well. I'm so glad you still blog regularly, Catherine.

Rhonda said...

I loved spending a little time with you this year Saturday, thanks so much for being such a gracious lady.

Also, I'm loving the clothes - I wore some of the pants last week and it made me smile all day. Which is kinda weird. Let's forget I said that.

It definitely wasn't the same as last year... I'm not sure how we'll ever recreate BOOBs without the current planners. :(

Theresa said...

Jacquie, Vickie and I are meeting in New Orleans next month, since we couldn't be there for that weekend. I sooo missed seeing you and all my favs! One of my most treasured photos is with you from the first trip, I've got tears gushing...I was star struck to say the least. We have been so fortunate to have such a wonderful community of support! Let me know when you get to Houston or New Orleans....I'd love to see you! Love the pics, and can't wait to hear all about the wedding plans!

speck said...

I agree with all the others, you are as gracious in person as you are on your blog.

You impressed me by having time for everyone....that speaks volumes about you. :)

Sandra

Beth Ann said...

It was great to see you again!

Stephanie M. said...

Awww, I missed seeing you too. I really will have to make it to NY one of these days and I hope that when you come visit your mom we can schedule in a little lunch date or something!

Cindylew said...

I missed you too my friend. I too was/am ambivalent about this phase of bandom. I am at goal and have been for about 2 years...living between 144-148...and still cycling, spinning, and weight training consistently. I haven't posted in over a year because my posts were always band related and I don't know what else to report other than..."still at goal". I do still catch up on those I've been following for years at least 2-3 times a week.
I was torn about Chicago this year and obviously decided against attending. I don't easily connect and so many of my pals weren't going and there were so many newbies that I had never followed and who didn't know me. I cherish a bunch of you guys and hope this isn't the end of those relationships. God knows if there is ever another NYC brunch, I'd be on that train in a second to come see you and Jen and Joey and Camille and Linda and Carmen and on and on and on.

Roo said...

I missed you too! I so wished I could have been there this year...as Í've only managed the first year (but that is what happens when you live 17+ hours plane journey away from Chicago!!!) :) I am hoping to be in the States next year (although probably not Chicago)...endeavour to catch up with as many as I can on a whirlwind trip around the states....I might squeeze in NYC...
PS...I can't find your email address...can you send it to me (so we can keep in touch that way too?) at ranismith@hotmail.com? Thanks x

Joey said...

Very well put. It did feel different, not worse or bad just different. Totally positive. It was so great to see you again and everyone was delighted you could make it! I love that photo of us!

Barbara said...

Catherine. I think you captured many sentiments as eloquently as you normally do!!