Sunday, February 8, 2009

Seeing old friends

One thing that I've stressed about through the last few years is seeing old friends who I haven't seen for a long time. This stems from me being ashamed that I put on so much weight and being embarrassed for my friends to see how out of control my weight was.

This past weekend, a very dear friend of mine (Sofia) and her two sisters were visiting from Venezuela. Sofia and I became friends when I lived in the Bahamas (2000-2001) and we spent a lot of great time together there, going out dancing, doing fun things during the weekend, talking about life, guys and the usual stuff! I visited her in Venezuela in 2001, but -- though we stay in touch through e-mail and Facebook -- I actually hadn't seen her since then!

So, going into this weekend, I was in the funny position of both feeling fantastic about being down nearly 25 lbs -- while at the same time knowing I am 45 lbs heavier than I was the last time I saw my friend. Of course, I know that our friendship has nothing to do with how much I weigh, so reminding myself of that was a good thing to do. Unsurprisingly, it was totally a non-issue and I had a great time!

3 comments:

Mattsmom said...

Hi Catherine!
Congrats on the 24! I am sure it feels awesome! Thanks for blogging your progress and thoughts on stuff. I totally relate to seeing old friends and thinking about my weight. When really it's all about friendship and not weight.
Just wanted to say hi and that I am still reading! Love your pics of your meals. You are so creative. I don't have any special recipes but I will post when I do.
Bye for now,
Michele in CA

Angie Cummings said...

Catherine!
Congrats on doing so well... 24lbs is really amazing, good for you!

I also am a new bandster-to-be, I'm getting my surgery on March 4th and I can't wait!

I am gonna follow your blog... Feel free to follow mine, though I'm afraid i've been a little long winded lately!

Angie in Toronto

Catherine55 said...

Thanks for writing you guys! Angie, congrats on your future as a band-it! I'll definitely check out your blog!