Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Perceiving Perceptions. . .

Tonight, my friend Lauren hosted a GNO (Girls' Night Out) at her apartment. We tend to get together the same 8-10 girls on a regular basis. . either here or out on Shelter Island. I really like these girls, and among them are some very good friends of mine. . but I'm kind of picky about who I open up to. . . so, only two of them know about my surgery. The two are Erica (of the wedding last summer) and Emily (who is plain old awesome).

Anyway, it had been a month or so since we'd all been together. It's funny . . because the closer I get toward goal, the more each individual pound is noticeable. I mean. . the first 30 pounds, practically NO ONE said anything! But, in the past several months, I've lost 5-7 pounds, and everyone notices. C gave me a nice compliment about that over the weekend, my receptionist at work made mention of it today, and all of the girls had nice things to say tonight. It's kind of surprising to me. I thought the "big reveal" was over about 20 pounds ago. . . . :)

Whatever, it's all good, positive and nice . . so I'm going to enjoy all of it. I hope you all are having nice nights, wherever you are, and am sending you my best.

11 comments:

Girl Bandit said...

I would agree with you that you think the first 40 or so would be the big difference...either way enjoy the compliments

Bandster said...

I was like that. I lost most of my weight before I could see it, far less other people. I think it depends where you carry your fat.

Enjoythe compliments!

Sarah said...

Enjoy every comment you get!!! You've earned every pound regardless of who knows what! Great job Catherine!

MB said...

This has been the trend for me too...more people notice these last few pounds. At about 20 or so down, they were asking if I did something with my hair, which I hadn't. Now, they notice the weight.

And I'm glad for your recent compliments. You have worked hard for this!

Nicole said...

Embrace the compliments you deserve them!! I am starting to get oh you must not have to lose anymore UGH!

Amy said...

That is so interesting! But I guess it's also good as it is nice to hear all the compliments as the last pounds take a while to get off.

Thanks for continuing to be such a inspiration!

LDswims said...

Yeah, enjoy the compliments. I'd think all it really means is people are really watching you, now. You already looked good 20 pounds ago...they want to see what else you do, does that make sense? Either way, YOU should be so proud of yourself and the compliments are just icing on the cake!

Maree said...

I'm 14kg (about 30 pounds down) and very few people have said anything - getting a little frustrating! - so it's good to hear that the second 30 pounds might get noticed as I get close to goal.

Mary said...

that is awesome! I can deffinatly tell that on me as well! my mom says something every single day I see her. It gets really exciting. Im sooooooooooooooooooooo excited to get my tax refund this year and I am going to buy new clothes, I CANT BELIEVE how much fun shopping is now. :o)

Jacquie said...

I love reading your Blog Catherine. First, of course, due to how much you inspire me with your success and second because you talk about so many of my old haunts. The frisky oyster, Shelter Island, so many NYC restaurants I used to frequent! I lived on Long Island and worked a lot in NYC. We recently moved to Florida and its soooo different here.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your journey. I am being banded in MX on 3/24 and am learning so much here!

Last Option Atty said...

LOL That is so funny I am going thru the same thing people didnt say anything until maybe 60 pounds?! Some in the office I give a break because when you see someone every day it just may not hit you and some many just feel funny saying oh you look great (and you thinking of so I looked like a mess before?) lol