(You can click on the photo to make it larger)
I really want to encourage any bandsters who haven't started exercising yet to start thinking about -- and trying -- different kinds of exercise that you think you might like. It took me a long time to really start exercising in earnest after my surgery, and I completely get it that it's easier to exercise when you are carrying around less weight. I'm not proud of this part, but it took me months to actually really get into the gym, and it wasn't until about seven months post-op that I started going to Boot Camp. But, ever since I found Boot Camp, I've been working out seriously and regularly for almost an entire year, solid!I've seen lots of bandsters get excited about exercise into this process. Just look at Sarah, who blogged one day about her secret desire to run, and now does 10Ks. Angie has become a total gym maniac, Amy and Mary meet up at Zumba these days, Jen, Gen and Peter have joined the ranks of the bandster runners, and Gilly is bellydancing! There are so many different ways to get out there and move, and I think the trick is finding one that you actually like so that you'll stick with it. The exercise has helped incredibly with keeping my weight loss moving (despite that it stalled me for six weeks at the beginning when I was building muscle) and in getting toned. Anyway, just wanted to encourage anyone who hasn't gotten on the exercise wagon to keep trying new things until you find one that you enjoy!

26 comments:
Your look totally stunning! Your waist is tiny in that dress!!! I love reading your blog and I am so inspired by you ! I have just started exercising 5 weeks post banding.. I cant wait to LOVE it and actually not want to die after a short time! thank you for sharing xxx
I am now 6 weeks post-op today and I am starting to get moving at the gym. This was a nice kick in the butt!
you look GORGEOUS!! Where is that dress from?
Great advice! Have I told you lately that you are gorgeous? :)
Stunning is right! I love the collarbone difference! Thanks for the shout-out...and the exercise encouragement. It makes all the difference. The WL benefits of exercising are numerous....of course there is the calorie burning, but maybe even more important is the positive impact exercise has on one's mood and junk-eating proclivities!
Great advice....do you think weights help??? Do you do that in boot camp. I am so limited in my exercise due to a foot injury and can only do non weight bearing atm. Also Catherine with all the talk about tummy tucks going around do you mind telling us how your tummy has turned out????
@Nicole -- it's from Neiman Marcus -- see my last post for the whole belabored story of me getting the dress! :)
@GirlBandit -- yes, absolutely, weights help a lot! Muscle burns more calories than fat. . and that way, you'll have all these nice muscles developing as you are losing weight!
On the tummy front, I was very lucky that everything pretty much shrank back into place. I actually posted a photo of my tummy maybe a month ago (labeled to show my scars and port location). Check it out if you are interested!
First...the dress. It is gorgeous and you are absolutely gorgeous in it! Second, the exercise. I am really hoping that the surgeon implants an exercise bug along with the band for me. I've never been one for the gym, but always like sports so we'll see how it goes. Your progress speaks for itself!
Thanks catherine.
Thanks for the props... now time to get my butt back in gear and moving toward another race! LOL... motivation comes in strange ways...
You look gorgeous.Thanks for the advice!
@GirlBandit -- I found the tummy pic -- it's in my March 6th post.
haha gym maniac indeed! it makes SUCH a difference in not only how you feel but how you feel about your body - exercise is what has made me love mine! you look amazing lady!
I just can't tell you enough what an inspiration you are!!!
Stunning! Both pictures, actually, but the new one...awesome!
OOOO.MMMM.GGGG....YOU LOOK STUNNING IN THAT DRESS!!!I lovvve it!!! your so beautiful!!!
on a side note: I AM A EXERSIZE FREAK! and I know if I wouldnt have started exersizing when i was 6 weeks post op I would have never ever gotten this far. 141lbs gone 9lbs away from goal in just a little over a year.
I just wanted to reiterate how stunning you look...hehe...
:o)
I just want to say that you are absolutely gorgeous, before and after! Way to go!!
Excellent comparison!
As for the exercise....I know, I know, I know!! You are right that I should do more of it! Now that I am feeling guilty, I definitely have to stop for a Cinco De May margarita....
Onward!
Judi
Catherine, you look so great and have come so far. Such an inspiration!
You look incredible! You have a gorgeous smile!!
You look stunning and the dress is pretty spectacular too.
Exercising is important; the endorphins, the good things it does for your heart and head, there's no downside.
Cheeky! You are a knock out!
You look amazing! Thank you for this post. I workout two times a week with a personal trainer ever since a few weeks after my surgery, so about 8 months now. But I have been stalled lately. I am hoping its just from working out my body needs to catch up??? because I havent changed anything, or is that my problem. Stuck in a routine???? by the way I love following you. I have been a faithful follower since I was banded.
@Gail -- One of my friends sent me an article when I stalled for six weeks during Boot Camp. I was so frustrated because I'd been working out so hard and wasn't losing.
Apparently it takes about six weeks to build muscle while you're working out -- and that is what I was doing because, while the scale wouldn't move, I was losing inches. And then, when I hit the 6 week mark, the scale really began moving again. So, it's worth it to grin and bear it during the six week phase, since in the long run, you will lose faster and look better with more muscle.
Thanks for the exercise "shout out". I don't like exercise (even when I'm closer to being in shape) but I'm making this a big part of my goals. It's good to hear how it's been helpful for you!
Post a Comment