Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What I eat. . .

A bunch of people have asked me what I eat. It varies from day to day, but I generally have three meals and a snack.

Breakfast is usually a yogurt or oatmeal, or the occasional fruit smoothie (I like the Caribbean Breeze from Smoothie King with an extra shot of protein). If it's the weekend, I might have something small, like an egg or a few bites of a granola bar before going to yoga, and then I do brunch for lunch.

When I'm at work, I usually have my lunch delivered. My most common orders are some kind of soup that has plenty of protein in it or a chicken Caesar salad (I mainly eat the chicken -- they are both from Hale & Hearty). I also order grilled salmon from Guy & Gallard, sashimi, or even Thai green curry with rice.

For dinner, if I'm by myself at home, sometimes I'll make a piece of fish, or cook a patty of high quality beef (I only eat hamburger meat at home these days. . too high a risk of PBing to order it out), or I'll have a low calorie frozen dinner (so lame. . but so easy. . ). If I'm out, I'll generally order fish -- it's one of my favorite things to eat anyway, so it's no burden.

Here is exactly what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast: A package of instant oatmeal and an iced coffee (with half & half. . some things aren't worth the compromise!)

Lunch: Hale & Hearty Chicken Caesar salad . . . I only ate a little and saved the rest. I mainly ate the chicken, though I did have some lettuce as well. I also had a Snapple diet iced tea with lemon.

Snack: Two small oatmeal raisin cookies

Dinner: Some more of the Hale & Hearty salad

Water: I had somewhere between 6-8 glasses of water throughout the day.

I was at the office past 10 p.m., or I probably would have mixed it up for dinner. I also had one glass of red wine when I got home. And I watched 500 Days of Summer for the second time -- great movie! And, when I say "watched," I mean . .watched the first 30 minutes, then conked out on the sofa for a bit!

16 comments:

CC said...

thank you for sharing! :-)

Kristin said...

This is great, Catherine, thanks for posting it. I guess you don't have any stuck problems with chicken, huh? Good news all around. Keep up the great work!

Catherine55 said...

The dressing helps -- and it's so yummy! Generally, I'm OK to eat chicken as long as it is really moist -- it's definitely easier if there is some kind of sauce.

Pamela E. Williams said...

Thanks Catherine for posting this. It helps to see what successful banders do to lose the weight. I do have a question for you though. How many grams of protein do you get a day? I haven't been banded yet, but want to make sure that its not a problem for me. I see that most folk are only able to get in a cup of food a day. Is it hard for you to get your protein in? Thanks in advance for answering.

ihearttheband said...

Thanks Catherine! The timing is perfect, I was just thinking I am not eating enough "good" stuff, and wondering what to try. This gives me ideas. The chicken Caesar sounds yum!

Catherine55 said...

@Pamela - I don't really count grams of protein -- I just try to eat healthy and eat more protein than anything else, and that seems to work out well. I feel healthy and strong, and that's kind of my guide for how I'm doing.

At the beginning, I drank Isopure drinks (like Gatoraid, but with 24 grams of protein and zero carbs) because I was worried about getting enough. You can always do that in a pinch. :)

Pamela E. Williams said...

Thanks so much for the advice. I will look up Isopure. I think my nutritionist mentioned that but I was more focused on Beneprotein.

Kerri said...

How many calories are you consuming daily?

Dinnerland said...

Much appreciated info from a band expert...

Alexis said...

It's only 9:30 out here in Seattle and that chicken salad sounds delicious right now! Thanks for sharing!

Catherine55 said...

@Kerri - Not sure about the calorie count -- I don't count them. But by my rough guestimate, I probably had about 1100 - 1200 calories yesterday.

Janice said...

Thanks for sharing! I was just banded a few weeks ago, so it is helpful to see what my future holds. Now I just need a Smoothie King and a Hale & Hearty in my hood and I will be all set. :)

Janelle said...

That seems like a lot less than I eat... and I thought I didn't need any more fills. :( Maybe I should reconsider.

Sherry said...

Yes, thank you for sharing. I wonder this about all the successful bandsters!

Butterfly/Amy said...

Thanks for sharing but now I have a question...and I've meant to ask for some time since I knew you liked sushi. Have you tried sushi rolls since the band? I worry that would just be asking to be stuck because of the rice, but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Catherine55 said...

Amy -- I had salmon rolls with avocado yesterday for lunch. I actually did get stuck a bit, but it wasn't bad.