Saturday, October 30, 2010

Downsizing. . . and a Comparison Photo

I just got back from the tailor. I have this gorgeous black cashmere coat with chinchilla trim that I bought when I was at my heaviest. I love love love that coat. It's so luxurious and beautiful, and even at 230 pounds, I felt like a movie star in it. You can see it in a photo in a post from last December, but the picture doesn't really do it justice.

(Not my actual tailor, but close!)
Last year, I took my coat to the furrier to have them fix some of the chinchilla that was looking a little worn, and I also had them cut it down to my then-current size. That little endeavor cost about $400, but the coat was very expensive, so it was completely worth it. They did a beautiful job on it, and it looked as good as new. I've only lost about 12 pounds since I had the coat altered, but with all of the exercise I've been doing, it looks at least 4-6 sizes too big.

Sooooo, I finally motivated to get to the tailor and she is going to cut it down! And, I'm patting myself on the back right now (pat pat) for not waiting until I was freezing to death before taking it in! This will cost about $140, but since there is no way I could get a perfectly fitting coat even remotely like this one for $140, that seems very reasonable to me.
I also took in my Rockstar sweater/jacket from St. John, which is one of my favorite pieces of clothing. For some reason, I didn't get it altered last year, so it was at least 10 sizes too big for me today. The tailor was undaunted. . .she just got out her chalk, pins and ruler and went to town! She's amazing. I wish I could sew like that. Anyway, in two weeks, I'll have it and the coat back, and I can't wait to wear them. The tailoring cost about 1/10th of the price of the jacket, so it also was well worth it.
This morning, in anticipation of my tailor visit, Yana dropped off some dresses that I loaned to her, including the one shown on the far left here. I tried one on for the tailor, but decided not to have them tailored. I've been having so much fun getting new dresses -- like the Tracy Reese number shown on the right! -- that I don't really need another cocktail dress right now, and now that I'm at goal, I actually might rather wear something a little slinkier!

20 comments:

Liz said...

That Tracy Reese dress is gorgeous!!! Hot hot hot.

Camille said...

I can't wait to see the coat altered! You have to post a picture when you get it back. Looking gorgeous as usual!

Kim said...

You look great!!

Linda said...

Thanks for posting this - I have been wondering about getting some good things I had altered, but keeping thinking "no that's too many sizes for them to take in". Obviously it's not a big issue with a good seamstress so I'll keep building build me "get altered" pile.
Love the Tracy Reese dress!

Sarah said...

Catherine = you look fabulous! I can't wait to see the jackets too - tailors are great things... once I am done, I am definitely going to have a few things tailored!

Nicole said...

Gorgeous new dress!! I hope I get to see you this winter in your newly altered coat xo

Jess said...

Loooooooooooove that Tracy Reese number. And your hair dark!

Bonnie said...

Haven't lost enough to need a tailor, but hoping soon. It's great that you found such a good one. Can't wait to see the coat.

Rachel said...

You look beautiful and project "confidence and beauty". Thanks for posting...its always an encouragement. The Tracy Reese dress is beautiful!

Maria said...

Catherine, you look amazing! Love that Tracy Reese dress!

MB said...

OOOooo, pretty dress (actually, all of them are pretty--you really look great at any weight!). I love the fashion you bring to the blogging world! And I can't wait to see the coat!

Justine said...

Catherine, you look amanzing (as always!) Looking forward to seeing you in that "filmstar glamour" coat.

Bianca said...

Love the Tracy Reese dress and you look amazing in it. Looking forward to seeing both the coat and jacket.

MLM said...

have been away from blogging for a bit but wanted to say you look fantastic (love that dress!!) and the dates sound like they have been so fun..i hope selfishly for you the job out west doesn't work out! i might have to get the name of your tailor because I have a few things i would like to save and eventually get tailored...hope you had a great weekend! BTW, big congrats on 2yrs..you remain a band idol!

Heather said...

That dress on the right is just the most divine thing ever!

Carolyn said...

Absolutely LOVE that Tracy Reese dress! Wanna find one on the internet for a motivation clothing piece. You look fantastic!

Theresa said...

Catherine, you just look so amazing!

Steph said...

That dress on the right looks amazing on you!!!

Joey said...

Because you are slinkier! Divine!

headin_to_mxico said...

I love the new darker hair. It looks really good on you =)