Exactly two years ago today, I had lap band surgery. The past two years have been amazing, and I have not questioned my decision to get banded for even a moment. It's been such a novel, freeing and incredible experience to actually feel GOOD about my weight and my body for two whole years in a row. I feel like I've been freed from prison -- the food prison. . and the fat prison, too.

On this momentous occasion, I want to share some thoughts and observations with you. . .
I'm counting my band-related blessings. Here are the first ten things that come to mind:
1. I am strong and fit now.
2. I can run, whereas I couldn't when I was at my heaviest.
3. My feet and back don't hurt anymore.
4. I feel good, both physically and mentally.
5. I am proud of achieving my goal and making this work.
6. I no longer feel any shame, self-loathing or disgust about how my body looks.
7. I like how I look, and I'm forgiving of any flaws I may have.
8. I really like the extra attention and special treatment that I get now.
9. It is a pleasure to go shopping now.
10. I have plenty of wiggle room on airplanes, in canoes, and anywhere else I choose to put my substantially smaller and cuter bee-hind.
Exhibit A: My substantially smaller and cuter bee-hind at the US Open in August 2010

Is the thrill gone after two years? Do you just forget about the band after a while, and does being at goal just seem normal or ordinary?
The thrill isn't gone for me. I so often think about how grateful and lucky I am to have found this tool to help me with my weight. I am still thrilled by NSVs all the time. Finding that I fit into a Tracy Reese size 8 (!) dress recently was a big one. Feeling tiny when I'm on a date is a new good one too!
SVs (scale victories) are hard to come by now that I'm in the low 150s. I have not lost even an ounce since July 6th -- more than three months ago! But, I've been taking spin classes and doing yoga throughout the intervening time. . and, in taking my measurements for this post, I was really surprised to learn that I lost 5.9 inches since July 6th!! Wow!! That includes half an inch from each thigh, half an inch from each calf, and a whole inch off my hips!! (I can't stress enough how important it is to take your measurements as early as possible during this process.)
Number of Inches and Pounds Lost?
During the past two years, I have lost 79.2 pounds (going from 230 to 150.8) and . . . . . (insert drumroll).............
50.45 inches -- that is 4.2 FEET -- from my body!! WOW!!!
I can hardly believe it when I try on my Jared pants and see how enormous they are on me. I actually have a very hard time wrapping my head around the fact that I used to fill them out.
This photo was taken in April 2010

What did this loss cost you?
Lap Band Gal recently wrote a bandiversary post that I loved. One of the things she did was to calculate how much she paid, per pound, for her lap band surgery and follow up visits. Like me, she was self-pay. I haven't kept exact track of what I've spent, but it's in the neighborhood of $9,500, all told. That's about $120.25 per pound.
Lap Band Gal recently wrote a bandiversary post that I loved. One of the things she did was to calculate how much she paid, per pound, for her lap band surgery and follow up visits. Like me, she was self-pay. I haven't kept exact track of what I've spent, but it's in the neighborhood of $9,500, all told. That's about $120.25 per pound.
It sounds like a lot when you put it like that. But $9,500 was such a small price to pay to get my life back, to feel good about myself, to be healthy and fit, to fit into any seat comfortably, to be able to wear regular-sized clothing, to be free from hating myself for my weight, free from foot pain and back pain -- and the shame of having to see old friends and knowing they would see how much weight I'd gained.
Do I miss anything about my pre-band life?
Not really. OK, there is ONE thing that I kind of miss. . . taking a big ole bite out of a juicy burger that has pickles, a bun, tomato, ketchup and mustard on it. Yet, even though my mouth is watering at the thought of that bite, I honestly couldn't care less about giving it up. I would never trade 80 pounds for that bite.
Not really. OK, there is ONE thing that I kind of miss. . . taking a big ole bite out of a juicy burger that has pickles, a bun, tomato, ketchup and mustard on it. Yet, even though my mouth is watering at the thought of that bite, I honestly couldn't care less about giving it up. I would never trade 80 pounds for that bite.
How was Year Two different from Year One?
Year One was all about seeing new numbers on the scale and learning what worked well with my band. I felt incredible that entire year and, for the first time in my life, I spent an entire year feeling happy and grateful about my weight and how I was managing my
personal battle of the bulge! That feeling has carried through -- I still feel fantastic about that. In fact, I've felt downright joyous on the weight front ever since I began this process, even when I had other stresses in my life.
During Year One, I dropped the bulk of my extra weight -- 63 pounds. I am 5'6, and that took me from 230 to 167 lbs, leaving 12 more to get to my goal of 155. I only lost 16 pounds this entire year (taking me to 151). But, they were really significant pounds. They took me from being slightly fluffy to having a reasonably rocking body for a 39 year old! Hee hee!
During Year One, I dropped the bulk of my extra weight -- 63 pounds. I am 5'6, and that took me from 230 to 167 lbs, leaving 12 more to get to my goal of 155. I only lost 16 pounds this entire year (taking me to 151). But, they were really significant pounds. They took me from being slightly fluffy to having a reasonably rocking body for a 39 year old! Hee hee!
I got serious about exercise about six months into Year One, but I really dug in during Year Two. It is really a part of my life now, and I'm in even better (!) shape now than I was on my first bandiversary. And, because of its effects, I actually like body parts, like my bootie, which I'd hated for my entire life up to now. Even my legs are shaping up these days! I wear clothing that shows off my figure now (within the confines of good taste, naturally!). And, my clothing size ranges from an 8 to a 10. (I started at size 20, 14W, 1X).
On other levels, Year One was about getting over my breakup with PP, and about holding on to my job during the recession. Year Two was about getting used to my new body, and pushing myself to be physically stronger and more fit. It was also the time of my nearly year-long rebound relationship with C. During Year Two, I also worked at finding ways to build my practice at work despite the depressed economy, and on branching out socially and making increasing efforts to do new things.
Comparison from July 25, 2010. Click here to see a bigger version.

What an amazing road this has been, and continues to be. I wish there was a word to convey how grateful I feel to have found a way to free myself from the fat prison. How about grateful to the 10th power?? :)
What will Year Three Be Like?
As I begin Year Three, my initial impression is that this year is going to be about living my life to the fullest. Part of that will include continuing with my exercise and setting new fitness challenges for myself. I am seriously thinking about running a 10K next year. If I get tired of spin class, I'm going to try Physique 57, which I understand is a fantastic workout.
I feel ready for a new relationship and am really excited about the possibility of falling in love. I really want to plan to hike the Inca trail, or to do some other vacation that is physically demanding enough that I never would have done it at my start weight.
For Year Three, I don't care if I lose any more weight (not that 2-5 more pounds lost wouldn't be fab!), but I care very much about maintaining and keeping up my fitness level. Honestly, maintaining has turned out to be much easier than I expected. I know that working out 3 times a week (on average) is key to that for me. It also lets me do things like eat ice cream or cookies when I want (in moderate portions), without the scale going up. I'm lucky that my band tightness doesn't fluctuate too much, and I'm at a very comfortable fill level that works well for me. Weighing myself every day is also key to maintenance for me. If the scale is up, I forego the cookie or get in an extra workout. If it's down, I eat what I like, within reason.
For Year Three, I don't care if I lose any more weight (not that 2-5 more pounds lost wouldn't be fab!), but I care very much about maintaining and keeping up my fitness level. Honestly, maintaining has turned out to be much easier than I expected. I know that working out 3 times a week (on average) is key to that for me. It also lets me do things like eat ice cream or cookies when I want (in moderate portions), without the scale going up. I'm lucky that my band tightness doesn't fluctuate too much, and I'm at a very comfortable fill level that works well for me. Weighing myself every day is also key to maintenance for me. If the scale is up, I forego the cookie or get in an extra workout. If it's down, I eat what I like, within reason.
I have spent a lot of time working on myself -- physically, emotionally and intellectually -- during these last two years, and I really like where I am. I also love every single one of you who I have connected with through the bandster blogosphere, as well as everyone in my day to day life who has supported me through this process. You are all such an important part of what has helped me to stay the course and keep focused, positive and encouraged. This blog has been an incredible tool and resource for me, and I am honored that you have let me share it with you.

37 comments:
Amazing transformation... yes, of course physically, but in the almost 2 years I've been blessed to follow you, I think what is most amazing to me is your mental and self-confidence transformation. It has been such an honor to follow your journey - GREAT job! And thanks for the number reminders - I have been kind of hard on myself about how LITTLE weight I've lost this second year, but that is kind of how it goes! And now, I personally need to refocus on the exercise, etc... and can't wait to see where my 3rd year (albeit in a few months) will take me! Congrats my friend, congrats.
Congratulations Catherine! I'm pulling for you finding LOVE this 3rd year. Any guy would be lucky to have you - in addition to being a hottie - your warmth and charm comes through your blog.
Cheers!
Fluffy
You have accomplished so much & I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your positive attitude. Congratulations on all you have accomplished! :)
thank you agin for sharing. having just started out it's always so inspiring to read posts like these from those so far ahead. you look absolutely fabulous. if i can have such a rockin bod when i'm 39 (next year) i'll be damned happy!
I agree with Fluffy. i hope this is the year you meet mister wonderful for you. he'll be one helluva lucky fella :)
Happy anniversary
As a newbie, your such an inspiration to me. :) Congrats on the beautiful transformation and goal accomplishments.
What an awesome post! I am so glad that you decided to share your journey with all of us. I have learned quite a bit from you and look forward to learning more!
Happy Bandiversary! Congrats on all your success!
Great post! Congrats on your amazing 2 years.. you deserve all the amazing things that come with working so hard! Thank you so much for sharing xx
I realised I have been following you for a year - you were the first blog I found after my Dr was brutally honest with me and recommended WLS.
And your blog gave me tremendous hope and inspiration that this was possible. Seeing your success and advice has been great and it is great to see you enjoying what you have worked so hard on...
Congrats! :) Thanks for the shout out.
Happy bandiversary! I am so proud of you.
Happy second bandiversary Catherine! Congratulations on all you've accomplished and thanks for sharing your journey with us. You're beautiful both inside and out.
Happy Bandiversary my tiny cupcake.
I sooooo see year 3 being all about you finding love...that is my greatest wish for you.
Congrats sweetie....such a great post!
Happy Bandiversary and congratulations for all that you've gained and accomplished during these years. Thanks so much for this post it is extremely insightful and invaluable to so many of us.
Thank you for sharing this! I had to read parts to my husband, just so he can see how positive it is! I am so excited for you, and grateful for the recap! Here is to a fab year three!
Congrats...your transformation on many levels has been a wonderful one to follow. I admire your hard work to reach your level of fitness! Happy 3rd year. I hope it brings you many blessings. Your blog is the first one I followed since starting my journey 9/15/10. You have been one of my silent mentors. Appreciate you.
Congrats on everything you have achieved over the past 2 years, and here's to year 3 being just as kick ass. Like Lynne, I am another baby bandster, and your blog is such an inspiration. I'm also a single girl in NYC, which as we know is it's own animal. It's so heartening to know that it's all possible.
Thank YOU for sharing. I am one of those bandsters who found you early in my journey, and you have been a great motivator and resource.
You're a leader.
:-)
Good luck with Year Three, so glad the first 2 have been so successful...
All I can say is that I hope I can be as confident and self assured as you are when I get to my goal. I love your posts, because they offer such a great ray of light for this journey.
I wish you all the best in the next year on your inspiring jouney.
Catherine, you just sound so happy and content. I am so happy for you.
Most important, remember, LIFE BEGINS AT 40!
I was divorced at 40 and when I look back, that truly was the beginning of my life. Enjoy all the happiness that is coming your way!
Catherine,
You are such an inspiration. I am just starting on my journey (http://thisonetimeinbandcamp.blogspot.com/) and it is so nice to have so many blogs I can read and refer to when I have questions or when I am concerned that things aren't moving as fast as I want them to.
Your transformation is amazing. Love the side-by-side comparisons. Every time I see your picture I think how much you resemble Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls). You truly are beautiful inside and out. Thanks for sharing your journey!
Catherine, thank you so much for sharing your journey on this blog and being so inspirational. Your success has really helped me to start this journey and I an so happy to see you enjoying your success. You are an amazing woman and you should be so proud of yourself.
You are so amazing and your blog is just excellent - I love how you always give us the facts and explain what works for you and what this journey has been like in your world.
Thanks and Happiest 2nd Bandiversary!
My darling daughter, As always, I am so proud of your acomplishments that I could burst! You are such a joy, and have always been a beauty. Now your figure matches your personality. Joyful! I am so happy for you. Your blog is fun, full of useful info and a real inspiration. Keep up the good job! Am so proud that you call me "mom".
hey congratulation on ure bandiversary...my name is stephanie and I just wanted to say thank you for your blog, when I first started thinking about getting the lapband I searched for blogs and came across yours. It was extremely helpful and really prepared me for all that is to come. I know just started my blog and hope I can help others in the future as u have helped me. You look amazing and once again thank you :)
I'm sure like many bloggers, I got very emotional reading your post. I am so happy for you and happy for me that I now have a chance of being where you are 2 years from now. You are such an inspiration and thank you for sharing your journey and continuing to give support to those of us just starting this amazing (and sometimes frustrating) journey. XO
Congratulations on your bandiversary!
I'm new to be banded (and new to blogging), and I love your blog-- just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to do it.
And you've convinced me I need to grab some Jared pants out of the basket I have waiting to go to Goodwill.
Sweet Catherine....I know E.X.A.C.T.L.Y. how you feel. When it comes to my Lapband and my weightloss, I have happiness and thrill and gratitude oozing out of every pore of my being!
Let me tell you....year 3 is even better than you would have imagined. You are now living your dream of being the healthy, thinner you that lived inside of yourself all of those years!
I promise you from the bottom of my heart....that tingling thrill that you feel each time you look at yourself and each time youthink about where you came from....will continue. I promise. Pinky swear.
Your world awaits....and it's ALL GOOD BABE!
Congrats and Happy Bandiversary!
Onward!
Judi
Wow! i loved this post... I am so happy for you and I adore you. You are so sweet and kind, meeting you was a highlight in my post-band life, You are truly and inspiration in your weight loss and maintain, but also in you caring ways. And beautiful too... Triple threat! Amazing girl! *Maria*
Wow, Catherine. You have done so well! Congratulations and happy bandiversary.
Congratulations on Year 2! Your journey has been so inspirational to so many people. That's something you didn't mention (out of modesty I'm sure). Not only have you connected with so many people, but your story (and your courage in telling your story) has inspired people like me to pursue the band and change their lives. That's a huge contribution! Your pictures say it all. You're absolutely gorgeous, inside and out!
I just can't say it enough, you are so inspiring. I have read every post on your blog, many of them several times. When I feel like I can't do this, I go back to your early posts and it gives me courage and hope. Thank you for letting us watch your journey, thank you for sharing it with us. I'm so very proud of you!
Thank you so much for telling us the difference between your year 1 and year 2. it is hard to find blogs of people who have had the band for as long as you and still keeping them current. It gives me hope and information I need to be successful. I am coming up on my first year.
Thanks again,
dd
www.bandeduup.blogspot.com
Catherine - you're fantastic. I always think of you as my band buddy because you were banded a day before I was. I just looked back at my stats because I've been feeling so down -- that year two wasn't so great -- that maybe I was failing (again) -- you know all those old negative feelings. But I lost 10 pounds last year and 5 1/4 inches. Had dinner with my sister last night and I've re-committed. If I could lose 10# this year, I'd be below my doctor's goal for me. In any case, you remind me to be grateful -- and I am for this wondeful tool. And I'm grateful for people like you who have done such an amazing job at documenting the process. Here's to Year 3 and beyond! XXOO
What an inspiring transformation! Truly. I have been in a funk lately with 16% of the way to go I'm trying to avoid becoming complacent. Now that I have been banded for a while these posts about how you feel is so much more impact-full than the photos. Don't get me wrong, the photos are AWESOME! But I'm ready for the next stage - the mental makeover.
Happy anniversary! xoxo
I am playing catch up but CONGRATS on 2 amazing years!!!
Post a Comment