Thursday, November 11, 2010

Celebrating the Big Four-Oh

Monday is my 40th birthday. Gulp! I'm living my last few days in my thirties right now, and this one is almost over! While that's kind of hard to process, I'm at least glad that I'm entering my 40s feeling and looking better than I have in as long as I can remember. That makes the number much easier to . .er, stomach! :)

So, how am I celebrating? Well, I'm throwing a dinner party at my friend Marjorie's apartment for 27 people! Given the limited space, I was only able to invite my closest friends who live in the area, but as a result, this will be a party where I absolutely love every single person there. There isn't a bad seat in the house. And, if the dinner is ruined and we wind up having to order pizza, I know it will still be a blast (especially since the case and 1/2 of red and white wine, bottles of champagne, cases of beer have already arrived, and the party music mix is finished)!
-
I really wanted to cook this meal myself, since I love cooking, but I didn't want to have to work during the meal. I explored a few options leading up to the final plan, and ultimately, I decided to hire a private chef to help me with the planning, cooking, and all of the during-event work. This particular chef is a woman named Tess, who is totally fun and lovely, and she used to be the private chef for a friend's brother (the one with the fabulous house in the Hamptons. . sorry, the old post only shows the cabana). It's been a lot of fun working with her, and I'm completely psyched for the event!
-
Today, I spent more money on groceries (and alcohol) than I have ever spent at one time -- if I wasn't so shocked, I wouldn't disclose the number at all, but let's just say it was well over $1,000. Yikes! And that's before I pay Tess, the party rental vendor, the florist's bill, party favors, the cleaning service, my hair, etc. But, you only turn 40 once. And, with everything I've accomplished in the last few years -- especially with my band's help -- I really want to celebrate this moment in style.
-
So, tomorrow I'm taking the day off of work (read: checking BBerry all day) and cooking with Tess. The party rental deliveries should arrive in the afternoon, and then Marjorie and I will set the tables as beautifully as we possibly can. I bought a ton (nearly 30!) of votive candles and, assuming we don't burn the house down, it's going to be absolutely gorgeous!
I am having three of these arrangements delivered on Saturday before the party. I actually was able to buy three coupons from Ideeli.com, so I paid half price for the arrangements! How wonderful. This florist is on my old block in the West Village, and I saw Giesle Bundschen going in there after she got engaged, and have always suspected that they did the flowers for her wedding to eye-candy. I mean, Tom Brady.

Anyway, this is certainly the biggest event I've ever hosted myself, and I'm just so excited about it. I'm going to wear the Tracy Reese lace dress from the comparison photo I recently posted and will be sure to put up lots of pictures! Wish me well, ladies (and gents)! Lordy lordy. . . I am about to turn forty!!!

43 comments:

Rachel said...

Catherine...Happy Birthday. Yours was the first blog that I read before WLS. You are an inspiration and mentor. Hope you have a year filled with health, happiness and endless blessings!

Liz said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you have a wonderful party planned. And that dress is gorgeous, you are gonna knock 'em dead in it!

DiZneDiVa said...

Happy Birthday Catherine! You look amazing for any age but 40? Wow! That's incredible! It sounds like a fabulous affair... Whose picking me up at the airport?... JK. But we will be there in spirit! Enjoy! *Maria*

Justawallflower said...

Have a WONDERFUL time! You make 40 look good, so don't forget that! And Happy Birthday!

Jacquie said...

Happy (early) Birthday Catherine. I think you are making a grand enterance into the decade that will change your life! Nothing but great things heading your way.

I am in the Bahamas until Sunday and will be sure to have a drink or three with Steve tomorrow night in your honor. Enjoy your party.

Barbara said...

I think your event will be a blast, and why not do it up.. you deserve it.. sounds wonderful and you are smart working with the chef(i've done this and at the end it really isn't that much more considering $$ in time, planning and cost)... So you have every reason to splurge and totally emerge your self in the celebration.. Happy Birthday.. you look mahhhhvelous!!

Justine said...

Have a wonderful birthday, Catherine! Everything that you have planned sounds absolutely lovely, so I'm sure you'll have a great time. Looking forward to seeing LOTS of photos!

Angela said...

I can't wait to see all your pictures! You totally deserve it and I hope it is all that you want it to be. Happy Birthday!

Kiki said...

Happy Birthday! Your 40's will be a time to reap the rewards of all the hard work you put in during your 30's!

Your party sounds great and I can't wait to hear about it!

Enjoy!!

Sarah said...

Good for you Catherine!!! What a celebration and you absolutely deserve every minute of it... Can't wait for pictures and descriptions (every time you describe something like this I drool), and I am SO GLAD that you are going to be able to enjoy yourself!!! Happy, Happy Birthday friend.

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday Catherine, I'll be waiting patiently for the photos. I know it will be an amazing affair, for an amazing woman! I like the chef already, she has a great name. And of all the decades I've lived through, the 40's have been the best for me, not always the easiest but certainly the ones that have brought me the most peace. I wish you all the best!

Stef said...

happy bday!!! Have a great time..it sounds like its gonna be a great party and u are gonna look amazing!!!

All That Razzberry said...

Happy birthday Catherine! I hope you have a fabulous party!!

I just wanted to say your blog was 1 of the first lapband blogs I found, and your transformation helped me to make up my mind to be banded. Im 4 weeks post op next Tuesday :)

Bonnie said...

You are so lucky to be celebrating your 40th looking so great. I swore when I turned 39 that I wouldn't be fat and 40. Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to get the band and eventhough I had a fun birthday party, I was still fat. The week after my 42nd birthday I had the wonderful present of meeting all my sister BOOBS and a box full of clothes, which you kindly brokered for me. 40 is just a number - and it's the new 30 anyway. Besides, the way you look, nobody is going to believe your 40 anyway.

Amy W. said...

Do you know what would have been the best birthday present EVER? If you would have flown me in to sit beside you! Hulllloooo! I would have cooked for half the price of Tess...I mean, who doesnt love cocktail weenies and swedish meatballs?

I hope you have a beautiful day my fair lady. You have paved the road...now get ready for the next part of your journey :)

Lyla said...

Happy early Birthday-- I hope you all have a fabulous time.

nikki said...

You have planned the most beautiful birthday. I know the night will be fabulous and I can't wait to see pictures!

Gilly said...

Perfection! Your b-day party sounds like something I would love to watch on FoodTV! Congratulations on your fabulous 40th (I'm here waiting for you!) I love that you're treating yourself...that is exactly as it should be! Step away from the BB and have an unforgettable time! Cheers!

(funny! the security word was "priced"!)

Jen said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!! You deserve to have a fabulous 40th year!! And your party sounds super fantastic!!! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Mary said...

Happy Birthday! Can I just tell you everytime I read your blog I just think how fabulous your life sounds!!! I lovbe reading about it! I live in Alabama and can only imagine living in New York seeing Gisele walk out of a flower shop! Awwwwwwww......sounds perfect! Have a wonderful party! Sounds like you have everything planned perfectly ;)

Lap Band Gal said...

AWESOME party idea...I know you'll pull it off beautifully! Happy Birthday!

Marie said...

Sounds like a beautiful party! Have a happy day!

SuperMegaAnna said...

That sounds so amazing! Enjoy your special day with the folks who you love and whom love you!

MB said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I remembered it was in November and knew it would be here soon...it sounds super exciting. I can't wait to see pictures!!!!

lori said...

congratulations on being fabulous at forty!!

Joey said...

The silver lining is that you DON'T look 40! Happy birthday!!

Camille said...

Have a wonderful and happy birthday!!!

1reign (Mimi) said...

Happy Birthday, I turn 40 next month and I wanted to throw a party but financially I don't think I'll be able to swing it, but I have to do something special, this is truly a landmark birthday although I am holding fast to my 30's this last month lol!
Hope you have a blast!

Roo said...

Catherine, HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY! Fit and Forty is the new 30! Have a wonderful day and enjoy every minute of it with your loved ones....this is YOUR night to shine....and you deserve it! Hugs and squeezes xx

Stephanie M. said...

Oooooh, how lovely! Happiest of birthdays to you.

Colls said...

Happy Birthday, Catherine! I am so happy for you, this birthday is going to be amazing! I can't even imagine how spectacular you must feel, I mean 40 shouldn't be so bad with all that you have accomplished - in weight loss, career and life! BTW, I LOVE the dress you are going to wear, supper hot! Can't wait for pictures!

Oh, and thank you so much for the sweet comment you left me the other day! I think a NYC brunch is def in order. Send me a message once you recover from your fabulous party weekend and we can set something up. <3

Steph said...

Happy birthday!! It sounds like you will have an amazing time. I am so envious!!! I can't wait to see pictured :) Hugs to you!

Cindylew said...

I couldn't be more excited for you...the party sounds like the event of the year...and a memory upon which you will likely reflect for the rest of your long life.
We can't wait for the Tuesday morning quarterback report.
Love you.

Nella said...

I am so excited for you! I got goosebumps just reading your post! you will have a fabulous time and I cannot wait to hear the deets and see the pics! HAPPPPPY HAPPPPY WEEKEND!

Linda said...

Catherine - I hope you have a wonderful night and enjoy everything you've worked so hard for. I hear 40 is fabulous.

Brooke said...

WAHOOO! I'm with all the other gals- you have worked hard, you deserve to enjoy a glamorous night with gorgeous hair, a hot dress, great food and most of all-- people who love you and support you.

I hope we'll get a pic or two of your big night. Kudos on taking care of yourself in style.

Happy Birthday.

Nicole said...

Oh man your 40th sounds super exciting!! So excited you are celebrating in Style!! Can't wait to see pictures

Kristen said...

Happy early birthday girl!! You don't look even close to 40 to make you feel a little better! But have fun at your get-together. Sounds classy and fabulous! I love it!

Bella said...

Happy birthday!!!!!
40 is my next one (in July) and I'm actually looking forward to it.

I hope you have a wonderful day.

Judi said...

Well, I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Your party sounds amazing and wonderful! A fitting tribute to all of your success and a spectacular way to kick off a truly exciting decade!
Listen....if 50 is the new 40 (that's what I was told when I hit 50) then 40 must be the new 30!!
It's all good no matter what age...right? We're alive, we are healthy and we are loved. That's all worth celebrating!
Can't wait to see pix and hear about the menu!
Hope it was everything you dreamed it would be!
Onward!
Judi

Tamara said...

Happy Birthday Catherine. Hope you enjoy your special day!

Louie said...

I can't believe we share a bandiversary (well, one day apart) and a birthday (two days apart). Happy birthday. You're wonderful. I celebrated mine with a 5K run and a brunch (we carbo loaded AFTER the run). Happy Birthday. Hoping your year is wonderful.

Kristin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CATHERINE! I hope your party was everything you wanted. You've accomplished a lot up till now, and i know you've got a lot more ahead of you. Congratulations!