The tables! I got the flowers for 1/2 off through a deal on ideeli.com and made the menus and CD favors (you can just see them under the napkins) myself!

I always wondered how it would feel to turn 40. I heard that expression "Fair, Fat and Forty" years ago and was scared that I'd be very fat on this landmark, but I'm not. Thank you, band. It's kind of amazing to come into this decade in better shape than I was ten years ago, feeling stronger and more confident than ever before. What a total blessing.
So. . let's talk about the party! Keep in mind that I held a dinner for TWENTY-SEVEN people in my friend Marjorie's ONE-BEDROOM apartment! Those of you who don't live in NYC (and heck, those of you who do) may think I'm totally crazy for trying to pull this off, but it worked!! And we had enough room!
Here is a before photo. We moved out most of the furniture to make room for two big tables, then put a third in the dining room.
Before
After!
The dining room, before:
After! Note the twinkle-lights on the terrace! It was warm enough that we were able to be outside as well. So nice!
Tess, the amazing chef who was instrumental in bringing it all together!
With my friend Maria
Erica and Emily
The theme of the party was "Old Enough To Know Better, Too Young to Care," so I printed that up on the covers of the CDs I made, as well as on the menus. Here is a closeup of a menu. . .
And, another shot of the table with the candles lit!

And, here are my friends, sitting down! (That's Chris on the far left -- not the best photo of him, but you get the general idea!)

With my friend Jessica . . and, you can see my Tracy Reese dress!
Dessert was a sundae bar with vanilla ice cream, home made chocolate syrup, brownies, crushed toasted hazelnuts, Luxardo cherries, two kinds of sprinkles and whipped cream that was infused with fresh strawberries. YUM!!! Bizarrely, I only had a few bites! I was too excited talking to everyone to do too much damage on the dessert front. . . but I did have a sundae the next day when we did the clean-up. It was deel-ish!
Everyone seemed to have a fantastic time, and judging by how many of my friends "friended" each other on Facebook the next day, everyone really liked one another! I was also really happy that -- by and large, the party went off without a glitch. Not to say that there wasn't one. . . the kitchen sink not only got completely stopped up, but DROPPED OUT OF THE COUNTER (!!) after dinner was served! We wound up being unable to use it, and had to get Marjorie's building to let us use a vacant apartment so that we could clean up and get the dishes done before the party rental folks picked them up!

Fortunately, that actually turned out to be kind of fun! The valets from the building got luggage trolleys and carted things back and forth for us. We brought music and wine down to the apartment and sang along while doing the zillion and one dishes! And, the valets wound up being very happy because, in addition to tipping them nicely, we fed them like kings on the delicious leftover soy-glazed salmon, root vegetable lasagne and -- of course -- ice cream sundaes with homemade brownies!

35 comments:
Your party AND you look fabulous! You make 40 look great! Love the idea forthe CD! What songs did you put on it?
Yes, what songs?
You look amazing!!! And your food did too!!! YUMMO!!!
Happy Birthday, Catherine!!!
Looks like a fantastic party. Congrats on the 40 and 140s!
Looks like you entered the 40s in style. I love the decorations and your dress is beautiful. Welcome to the 40s.
I through a big party when I turned 40 too and also had an amazing time. I totally get the not eating dessert because you were too busy having so much fun!! Welcome to the best decade so far!!! You look absolutely awesome!!!
Amazing! <3
Happy Birthday!!! The 40's are wonderful! I love your theme... it's completely true!
How wonderful Catherine!! So glad you had a great time.
I still cannot beleive you are 40!!! I only hope Im as HOT as you when I turn 40. You look fab and so did your party!
Looks like a wonderful party- happiest birthday wishes to you!
Happiest birthday wishes to you- the party looked fun and fabulous, and so did you!
Happy Birthday Catherine!
You look completely amazing and it seems like the party was a smashing success.
Enjoy every day in this new decade!
Oh Happy birthday, Catherine. I didn't realise your birthday was so close!! You look beautiful - glowing! I LOVE that dress on you. You do it justice.
The pics are amazing - you have such an enviable lifestyle. I love the pic with the table with the view of the city street. Actually all the pics were amazing - and we finally get to see Chris! xxxx
Wow!!! my mouth was hanging open while reading your whole post...the apartment was LOVELY! the flowers divine. your Dress...ohhlala. The story...and the man...what a great night you had!
I do know about those New York apartments. I am totally impressed with all that you did!
Sounds like a fantastic night - and you looked fabulous!
Congrats on 40, the 140's and the 180 you've done in your life. You're such an inspiration.
The pic of you at the dessert table, seriously, you're so cute I (almost) didn't notice the brownies.
Wow! It looks like an amazing affair. Beautiful! We went to Vegas to celebrate my 40th last year. It was fun but not as intimate and grand as your birthday. Hopefully 42 will be the new 40 for me and I will be closer to thin... just like I was at 41. I used a scooter wheelchair to get around Vegas for my 40th... not I feel like I'm aging backwards like Benjamin Buttons. I feel younger today than When I turned 40... and I will feel even younger when i turn 42. You have entered a new healthier decade... and 40 is the new 30 for you! Happy Birthday Catherine! *Maria*-Blogger from "This one time at BAND Camp...
Happy Birthday Catherine.. Everything looked so gorgeous!! Love your dress What an awesome birthday xx
Fabulous! Looks and sounds like you had the most amazing birthday; I'm so happy for you.
Looks like an absolutely amazingly wonderful time! Good for you! And you will love your 40s. I am 41 and the years get better and better.
Happy Birthday
What fun! IN fact, I can't think of a better sign of a great party than the kitchen sink falling in!!! You deserve every minute of it, then, now and going forward. Happy Birthday Catherine!
I'm glad you had a wonderful time, everything looks amazing, especially you!
Great job! You are such a class act! Happy Birthday!!!!
Looks great! YOU look great!
LOVE that dress! How fun!
Looks absolutely fabulous! What a treat and you SO PULLED IT OFF BABY!
Looks like a fabulous party and you look absolutely amazing!
A very happy birthday to you - may your 40's be all that you dream!
That dress (and your figure) is to die for! You look beautiful! Happy birthday!
Here's to your 41st year...your best one ever!
Looks like a great party! Happy birthday via San Diego!
WOW!! What an amazing party!!! And that dress is to DIE for..if you find it missing you may need to look in my closet! We are scalemates I saw 149 today :)
Happy Birthday!!
Thanks for sharing! You look beautiful!
Happy Belated Birthday and girl you are that Tracy Reese. Your waist looks super tiny and I am glad you had a great time. Way to turn lemons into lemonade.
I'm belated but happy, happy bday! the party looks amazing...truly...and I am so glad you had a great time and felt fabulous! you deserve it!
How wonderful! And I plan to use the phrase, "We partied until the sink fell in," as a metaphor for a really, REALLY good party.
Post a Comment