Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Biggest Maintenance Concern

I've been really surprised by how easy the maintenance phase is for me. Basically, as long as I just keep on doing what I've been doing food-wise (read: following the bandster rules more often than not) and working out an average of 3 times a week, the weight stays off without me having to pay too much attention to it. I do still get on the scale every day at the same time... post-loo, pre-shower. That's my morning check-in, and it lets me know how mindful I have to be about what I'm going to eat every day. So, what are my concerns during maintenance?? Basically, my biggest worry is that something might go wrong with my band. I don't think about this every day, and I certainly am not posting this to freak anyone out. But, I do know a few bandsters (in real life and through the blogs) who have had to have their ports replaced, who have had leaks, who have had to have their band readjusted, and I also know two bandsters in person who have had to have their bands removed (one because of a hernia, the other because her stomach eroded).
-
That said, I know a ton of bandsters who haven't had any problems at all. So far (knock wood), I'm 2 years and 5 months post surgery, and it has been smooth sailing. I have to give my surgeon (Dr. Roberto Rumbaut from Monterrey, Mexico) props. My port is in a great spot (you still can't see it and I'm at goal), I only have two scars, and everything seems to work just as it should. I don't have any reason to think anything will go wrong, but I do know that devices can wear out over time (though, as an aside, my mother still has the toaster she got as a wedding present in the 1960s, and the thing still works like a charm...).
-
Anyway, an article that Gen posted recently made me think about this a bit more. I will say, if you read the study results, that you should keep in mind that these bandsters were among the first, they had different bands then we do, their doctors were less experienced, and they didn't have the same level of follow-up care or support. Plus, the study only looked at a small part of the group. So, I doubt the statistics are that relevant to what our experience will be, but it did make me think.
-
I do wonder what would happen if I couldn't have my band. If I keep up with the exercise, my guess is that I'd put on about 10-20 pounds and have to fight like hell to stay at that weight, since that is what I did through my 20s and early 30s. I don't think I'd let myself ever gain it all back, and I think that the big lifestyle changes I've made (especially making exercise an important part of my life) would help to keep me from doing that. But I do think this is something that most bandsters think about from time to time, and it's a little scary to think about life without this helpful tool.
-
What I'm going to do to help take care of my band and to make it last as long as possible is this:
-
1. I am going to continue to keep my band at a good fill that is not overly tight.
-
2. I will continue to be proactive about my health care and get in touch with my doctor right away if I have a problem.
-
3. I am going to continue being mindful when I eat so that I can avoid PBing unnecessarily.
-
I think that's it. I don't know what else I can do other than that, but I do think that will help. Any other suggestions? Also, if you have had trouble with your band, do you think it was worth it? My guess is that most bandsters will say yes.

16 comments:

MandaPanda said...

I have the same concerns about band longevity and I'm not at goal yet. It doesn't help that the news is full of anti-band material lately. I think what you've outlined is really all you can do. It's not like we can take it in for oil changes every 3000 miles or anything.

BTW, I love comparing the band to your mom's toaster! They made things to last back then though. My mom has hair curlers and an electric knife from that era too.

Pamela E. Williams said...

Great post. I haven't thought about long term bandwise, I guess because I'm not that far in as of yet, but the concerns you bring up are valid. The tips you are using are great and I will be incorporating them myself. Thanks.

Theresa said...

I think about that too, but I think you have a good plan, just making sure you're at a good fill level is very important. I try not to think about it too much. I think people who have a joint replacement or implants of anykind run the same risks. It does scare me though.

tagyourit said...

very thought producing post. I am so new that I have not even started to think in long terms with the band.

Marie said...

My main concern is not being able to get health insurance with the band. I was laid off my job in December and was told I was not insurable because of the band for at least five years post surgery. So I have to pay the big bucks for Cobra which sucks.

Liz said...

I try not to think too deeply into those things...'cause quite honestly, chances are that if something does go wrong with my band, it will be 100% out of my control, and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. Sometimes freaky stuff just happens.

Your approach is great though - the things you can control, you are.

Tina said...

There are many more studies than the one Gen posted and I am planning on linking them up on my blog...sadly I am swamped at work but will try and get on it in the next couple of week. Before I had this surgery I did a lot of research. Because I am in higher ed I have access to several of the medical journals that I was able to read from (not easy reading but usually good reading).

This study was overly negative I think.

Darlin1 said...

I agree with all of you---we only have today ---and obviously we are all trying to be the best we can be!

Great Post!

Nicole said...

I agree with you catherine, I voiced this concern to my stepmom who said oh you made the life style change. And I shot back and said no my band doesn't allow me to over eat, have carbs ( bread, pasta) I have the same fears! Let's hope we have nothing to worry about xo

Nella said...

Great post...
I am a freakin worry wort and this is on my mind ALL THE TIME!
The compliments feel so damn good but I am scared if I have to have it reversed or take out. What will happen????????
Lets just stay positive and believe! You are doing amazing!

Gen said...

I have been worrying about this more, not so much because of the article, but because of what my friend recently went through with a huge erosion and major issues that mean she can never get another band. Why does it happen to some and not others? This friend (Julie, mentioned on my blog), got the band about the same time you did, I think.

I think you hare in a much better position because you have not had many issues with being overfilled, reflux, too tight, etc. Recently, I started having night time reflux, and that scares me a little. I mean, will I have to take meds for life? Is this messing up my band situation in any way? I am NOT too tight.

Guess I should do another blog on this. Anyway, there is no point ignoring that many people do have problems, and it can happen to any of us. I know I would absolutely get another surgery, probably the sleeve. Unless some genius finally comes up with a drug that takes away hunger like the band. That would be good enough for me!

Barbara said...

um.. I just read the previous post and I think I want you life when I get a new one! Wonderful and beautiful photos and post. hugs

Chrissy217 said...

I noticed that your in the NYC area. What DR do you use for follow up visits? I had my surgery in N. Jersey but I am not happy with my doctors bed side manner. I have been using fill centers for fills but would really like to see a DR. I have no problems (knock on wood) been banded since August and have only had 3 fills and down 52 pounds.

Chrissy217 said...

I noticed your in the NYC area. What DR do you use for follow up visits and fills? I had my surgery in N. Jersey but am unhappy with my DR's bedside manner and am having trouble finding a DR who will see patients who have had surgery done by others. So far no problems(Knock on wood) Down 52 pounds and had three fills so far and been banded since August.

Judi said...

Hi Catherine....
As always, you look amazing and I'm thrilled that you are doing so well.
Being 3 years and 8 months out, I have been blessed with no major issues---just lots of happiness and shopping!
However, a few nights ago, while helping my 90 year old father eat his dinner, I started thinking more about me with my band at 90 (or 70, 80...). I have to admit--for the very first time--a wave of fear hit me. Hopefully, my band will last that long and hopefully I will be of sound mind when I'm that age. So, when my daughter is helping me eat dinner, I'll still be mindful of it! If I'm still blogging 20, 30, 40 years from now (gee, I hope so!)....I'll be sure to let everyone know that my band is still serving me well and that I am still as in love with it as the day I got it!
Thanks for continuing to blog! I always enjoy it!
Onward!
Judi

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

I have had a lot of the same concerns that you and Gen have mentioned. I've tried not to over stress the band - if that's possible - and have had only a few fills. I don't want to be too tight either as somehow I worry that could cause problems. The research is interesting but the perspective is important also - just who were sampled afterwards, they were some of the first generation bands, etc.

You and your boyfriend are a beautiful couple together! Enjoy every single second!