One of the band-related things that I'm the most proud of, but haven't really posted about because I feel weird mentioning it, is that I started the Sisterhood of the Traveling Clothes back in May of 2009. Since then, I sent out many, many packages to other bandsters, paying for postage on the simple condition that they share the clothes with someone else once they no longer fit. On one or two occasions, I even gave things away by the bagful!
By doing that, I gradually got rid of virtually every item of clothing I had outgrown (in-grown?), and got to know many other bandsters in the process. And -- LOL -- the blogging bandster community got to know my dirty little secret... that I used to cut all the sizes out of my clothes!! :) Another great effect is this snowballed, and so many bandsters in our community are sharing their old clothing with one another, which is a huge help as we all move on down through a range of sizes.
For me, one of the very best things about giving everything away was receiving photos from other bandsters and seeing how great they looked in my clothes. Here's a link to a post with a bunch of photos that people were nice enough to share with me. :) My favorite one ever is the one of the lovely Sarah, wearing a shirt that I sent her as she successfully completed her first ever 5K race. I was so impressed with her accomplishment (she said she was going to run and she did!), and it felt amazing to have some small part in that day.
By doing that, I gradually got rid of virtually every item of clothing I had outgrown (in-grown?), and got to know many other bandsters in the process. And -- LOL -- the blogging bandster community got to know my dirty little secret... that I used to cut all the sizes out of my clothes!! :) Another great effect is this snowballed, and so many bandsters in our community are sharing their old clothing with one another, which is a huge help as we all move on down through a range of sizes.
For me, one of the very best things about giving everything away was receiving photos from other bandsters and seeing how great they looked in my clothes. Here's a link to a post with a bunch of photos that people were nice enough to share with me. :) My favorite one ever is the one of the lovely Sarah, wearing a shirt that I sent her as she successfully completed her first ever 5K race. I was so impressed with her accomplishment (she said she was going to run and she did!), and it felt amazing to have some small part in that day.
I didn't care that I would never receive a Sisterhood package, since I was an "older" bandster and didn't know anyone who was both farther along than me and willing to part with clothing in my size. It just felt good to be emptying my closets -- both because it was the product of my confidence that I wasn't going to just gain it all back, and because I felt like I was helping people. But... woe is me... no exciting packages of unknown new, free clothing came my way! ;) Cut to this year's B.O.O.B.S. conference in Chicago, where I finally met the very lithe, slim and fit Fluffy! A week ago, she sent me my first EVER Sisterhood package.
Here is the package. Steve was with me when I opened it, and I totally cried when I did (I know.. I'm such a crier) -- from being so happy to be on the receiving end of this wonderful generosity, from thinking about how grateful I am for how far I've come, and for feeling like something I'd started had come full circle back to me, though I'd never had any expectation that it would.
Here is the package. Steve was with me when I opened it, and I totally cried when I did (I know.. I'm such a crier) -- from being so happy to be on the receiving end of this wonderful generosity, from thinking about how grateful I am for how far I've come, and for feeling like something I'd started had come full circle back to me, though I'd never had any expectation that it would.
This box made me cry!!

Now, dear readers, while I may be a total mush at all things kind and generous, you know that I loves me some fashion. So, I wiped my tears, put on some lipstick, and got to trying on those outfits! And there were cute things in that box that I absolutely love!! (And a few cute things that I absolutely love... but that are a size 6, and while I could squeeze into them, it was not a pretty sight!) I'm including photos of my favorites below! :)
A white button-down that fit absolutely perfectly, and Fluffy's size 6 black pants that I managed to zip! NSV/Pre-Christmas Miracle!!) :)
An ADORABLE short sleeved jacket.
Do we like it over the shirt, or would it be better with bare arms?

And, this gorgeous going-out shirt in purple. Love!
An ADORABLE short sleeved jacket.Do we like it over the shirt, or would it be better with bare arms?

And, this gorgeous going-out shirt in purple. Love!

Thank you so very much, Fluffy. Not only do I love these cute clothes, but just receiving the box from you meant so much to me! I so appreciate it, and plan to have a lot of fun wearing them! And, congratulations to you on your SIXTH bandiversary!
I'll post again soon... so much more to catch up on. Steve had a surprise birthday party for me on Monday night, Tuesday was my birthday, and we've been doing all kinds of fun things. But, I really wanted this to be a stand-alone post because it was such an important occasion for me!

14 comments:
i was thinking to myself "wow. it's like it all came full circle!" - and then i kept reading and you said exactly that! i can't think of a better way to explain it!! you're amazing Catherine! :)
SO sweet and you look so fab in the clothes!!!
How awesome is that!! From someone among the BOOBs attendees I acquired a pair of size 10 levis. I went to the sisterhood pile and like you figured that since I was an oldie I wouldn't find anything. I am SO glad I looked and have wanted to say thank you to the donator but have had no clue who should get it :)
I can at least Thank you for thinking it up in the first place!! Hopefully someday I will find out who the levi's donator was. They are absolutely my favorite jeans now.
xxxooo
I'm so glad you were finally able to be on the receiving end. As someone who treasures her sisterhood clothing, I am truly appreciative your kind spirit and generous nature which is the foundation of the sisterhood. :-)
Oh, great ... now I'm tearing up over here ! You are TINY (and fabulous) ! Happy Belated Birthday :)
I love Fluffy! And you too! Please send to me when you out/ingrow them! I am currently in an 8 and have a few generous size 6 pants!
I love this, and you look absolutely great in the clothes.
Oh, and I do like the jacket over the blouse. :)
You look fantastic! So glad you were able to benefit from something that's been so wonderful for others!
Can I just say that I think you are AMAZING!
Awww.... thank you so much for mentioning me! I still wear those clothes... at least once a week! And I may just run in them again one day (LOL)... Miss you terribly and I am so happy that you are on the receiving end - I can't think of a better person to get it! Love you tons - happy, happy birthday...
Wonderful! You look amazing, I love the jacket over the blouse! Happy Birthday!
Um - the box made you cry? Seriously - reading about you crying at the box made me cry. How dumb is that? I so love this post...it's just all a bunch of blog goodness wrapped into a post. Love it. And duuuuuude - what happened with the living sitch? I'm dying to know!
Awww, that is so sweet! And happy birthday to you.
You look so cute!!! I love that jacket. I think you can do it over a shirt or you can wear it solo. Totally up to your look of the moment.
It is truly a blessing that the sisterhood has come full circle.
BTW...HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!
Post a Comment