Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Accountability

A message that I got on Lap Band Talk today made me think about accountability and the things I'm doing now that keep me on top of my weight.

We were talking about getting on the scale every day -- and whether that is a good or a bad thing. For me, it's a positive. Weighing myself is part of my morning routine and is how I track how I am doing from day to day. I know that I bounce around a bit before I lose, so I don't get stressed if the number goes up from the lowest number before I hit a new post-Band record. I just find it a good way to stay on top of things and to remind myself that I'm accountable every day for what I eat.

This also made me think back to how I was behaving when I put on all of this weight. Aside from not watching what I was eating, a big part of how I let it get so out of control was that I didn't have a full-length mirror in my apartment for 5 years. Also, my scale wasn't in a spot where I could easily hop on and off (I had to move a basket of towels, drag it into the right spot, etc.).

In view of that, I was largely able to ignore just how much weight I was packing on. Of course, I had to keep buying bigger clothes, but that was infrequent enough that I didn't think about it on a daily basis. Now I have a full-length mirror and a good scale (my Homedics Health Station -- measures to the 10th of a pound and has been working well, despite a few glitches at the beginning). My scale also is in a spot where I can just get on & off without having to move anything other than my feet. So far, so good.

I'm working out with my trainer again tonight. Hopefully that will start making the numbers get smaller on the scale as well!

4 comments:

loosing in 2009 said...

I'm also the type of person to weigh daily. I do get upset when the scale goes up, but it helps me try to be good that day. I also will hit an all time low on the scale only for it to move up and then go down again until I hit the next all time low. I'm going to have to look into a scale like yours, mine is terrible.

Catherine55 said...

Seriously -- the scale I have is pretty good. I can hop on and off it a bunch of times and it gives me the same weight every time. The one I used to have (and ignore) was totally inconsistent -- I could have a 5 lb variation just getting on & off it within the same few minutes!

Sarah said...

Thanks for mentioning your scale brand - I really need a new one... mine only weighs to the 1/2 pound, and I get inconsistent readings! I weigh every morning too - but kind of have Friday's in my mind for my "official" weekly weight if that makes sense. Of course, I'm up this morning. Blah.

suede said...

I weigh every morning and it helps me watch what I eat the same day. The fluctuations help me see that I shouldn't be so crazy when I see a slight gain. :-)