I actually weigh myself once every single day. I do it in the morning, after I've used the loo and before I get in the shower or eat anything. Since my pre-op diet, I've kept an Excel spreadsheet with my weight and measurements. I only write my weight down when I hit a new lowest number. I also only update my stats in my LapBandTalk signature when I hit a new low.Every time I lose a pound, my weight bounces up and down a bit before I hit the next pound lost. Because I've seen this pattern on a daily basis for about 15 months, I'm used to it and it doesn't really phase me. That's not to say I don't get upset about a plateau just like anyone else -- but if the scale is up .8 from Monday to Tuesday, I don't stress about it.
So, just to recap -- I count my weight on the day it's the lowest. I don't care what day of the week it is . . I'll take my SVs (scale victories) when I can get 'em!
I firmly believe that there is no "right" way to weigh yourself. Just do whatever lets you keep track of your progress (and monitor any backsliding) without unduly stressing yourself out. Hope that helps!
** One more thing I want to add is that, during the years that I put on most of my extra weight, I avoided the scale. I was terrified to get on it because usually a month or two would have gone by since the last time, and it would always show a gain. Now I'm on that thing every single day. There is no way that 10 pounds is going to creep back on me without me knowing about it as it happens. So, I feel in a much stronger position to keep that from ever happening again.

17 comments:
This is just the kick that I need. I've been avoiding the scale this week because I've been struggling with getting back on track since the holidays. I've been at the same weight since 11/14and it's because I'm not following the bandster guidelines. I've been thinking of it as a plateau but it's because I've lost my way a bit. So, here's to my return. (I'm lifting my water bottle - lol) Just back from boot camp (thankfully that didn't stop!). You always say just the right thing!
You know what? That is a GREAT idea!! Then you get to know exactly what your body does with weight! Cool!! Thank you SO much for posting that!!
That sounds like a great system, it is not unlike mine. I weigh in each morning before breakfast as well, but I don't journal it down like that, mine is traked automatically in the Wii system. But I see where you're coming from about logging it in and comparing and tracking progress.
Thanks for the advice!
I do this too though sometimes I'll weigh in after I get home from work (or even again after I get out of the shower in the AM--so twice in the mornings--a little OCD, yes). I have justified it like you have--I was never so conscientious about weighing in before the band, and now it keeps me accountable each day. As far as logging/putting on my ticker the lowest number, I'm not so good at that (right now, I'm at 159.6 as the lowest low--159.8 this AM though). I keep it in the ole bean though (sometimes a scary thing). :)
I too weigh myself every morning (and actually a couple more times during the day - which I would like to stop). And, I record it once a week in an excel spreadsheet - but I really like your idea of only recording it when it is a new low! That would certainly help not stressing about all the little ups and downs. Great suggestion!
I do the same, although currently when I am fighting a plateau I get so frustrated with the scale. And start obsessing over a .2 gain. I need to stop obsessing!
But I feel the same way days and weeks and months when I didn't step on the scale my weight went up and got out of control
How about that for some AWESOME advice. Catherine, how'd you get so reasonable?
I love that!
I am doing what you're doing, more or less. Getting on the scale, religiously, every day, and recording it-- in the morning (after loo, pre-shower etc.)
This is great to see you are benefiting from the confidence in yourself and seeing the weight fluctuations and understanding that they are part of the puzzle....
generally speaking as we are reducing our weight, we want a downward trend, but it won't go down every day. We're not on the biggest loser, for heaven's sake!!!
thx
I do the same thing with weights -if I see it once - I count it as my low - I go a step further and don't count my 10ths of a point. If I see 189.7 I count it as 189 period :)
This is what I do as well - like you I'm taking that new low even if it takes another week to show up on the scale again!!
I think it is vital to being honest with ourselves about possible weight gain to get on these scales every! Like you, I don't record it every day.
Hx
This is exactly what I do.. weigh daily and record ONLY when I see a new number thats the lowest... that way I keep seeing it creep down. Plus, like you, I'm used to seeing the scale bounce up and down before I hit that new weight. Looks like we are all in the same boat there. Great post, Catherine.
I weigh every morning too, before shower but post-pee... :D! And although I don't take the lowest, I do count "Friday" as my official day of the week... and 9 times out of 10 (except for last/this week), I'm usually lower than the Friday before!!!!
Hi Catherine,
I am new to lapbandtalk.com and I came across one of your posts with a reference to your blog. Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. It has helped me overcome a lot of the fears and questions I have been having since scheduling my surgery for Mar 24 in MX.
I look forward to the day soon when you reach your goal! Good luck to you and thank you for doing this. You cannot imagine how much it has helped me.
Jacquie
Cathryn,
This is a very good idea. I was just banded last week,(the 19th) and have been weighing myself every day. I like the idea of recording the lowest weight.
I think the reason that weighing every day is good is for the reason that you said--you know how your body works and can keep on top it.
I think you look so lovely and congrats on all of your hard work paying off.
--Ali @pinkpetalsforme.blogspot.com
This is exactly what I have been doing all along. My husband thought that I was cheating if I didn't change me ticker to reflect any change for the worse!
But I told him that I only change it when it gets better, then work like hell to keep it there or to bring it down lower!!
Glad to see that someone who has been as successful as you, has been doing the same thing!!
Me too, me too!
I weigh every day when I'm dieting, and NEVER weigh when I'm "off" the diet. You know?
So it's simple...it's easy to gain when you avoid the scale!
Great advice...but scary too. I haven't worked out yet what will work for me...although I really avoided the scaels this last year because I knew I wouldn't like what I saw so I love that idea of it. Thanks
Post a Comment