Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mom Update & Fun on Fire Island

Wow -- the last week or so has gone by so quickly. I was out in Florida the weekend before last to see my mother and make sure she was OK. Long story short, she still has to have a procedure, but she is doing well and feeling good. I was glad that I was able to go out there to see her. She was actually released from the hospital on Saturday, so we were able to spend time together. In fact, she was doing so well that we thought she would go back to work on Tuesday, and I called my brother and told him not to come down on Sunday after all.

During the weekend, I helped my mom around the house, but then on Monday morning, I wound up having to take her to the Emergency Room because she was having chest pains/discomfort. That was really stressful, and I was very worried. Her heart rate was very low, but she seemed OK. The worst part for me was having to leave for the airport while my mom was still in the ER. I felt just terrible about it, and I was bawling as I left to the point that one of the orderlies gave me a hug, and my taxi driver (who thankfully gave me a stack of napkins) reached back to squeeze my hand. It's kind of wonderful to see how nice people can be in a situation like this. Thankfully, my mom seems to be doing really well now, and the prognosis on her procedure is very promising.

In other news, I went out to Fire Island with a few friends this weekend and had a great time. Unfortunately, I had to come back early today (Sunday) because I had to work all day, but we really made the most of the time out there.

Heading to the beach on Saturday, we saw this wounded deer hopping down the way. The park rangers take care of these animals, so I'm hopeful that he got some help!

Out and about on Saturday night.

My friends and I headed to Ocean Beach on Saturday to check it out and have dinner. It's a lot busier and more crowded than the part where we stay, but fun to check out for a night.

On the ferry to Ocean Beach with Marjorie. I loved how the light came into this shot!

Colorful bicycles in Ocean Beach.
When you get off the ferry in Ocean Beach, there is basically a "parking lot" for the wagons people use to cart in their groceries and other things. I'd never seen anything quite like it, and had to take a photo!


In band-related news, the emergency trip to Florida and the incredible amount of things I have going on at work right now are not helping me get to my aspirational goal. It was actually very hard for me to make good food choices in Florida, and it's been difficult for me to fit in my usual workouts. I was not surprised to see the scale up when I got back last week. It was up a whopping 4 pounds. . though only 3 as of Thursday. I have a hell of a week in store at work, but am going to try to at least get to the gym on Tuesday, and again on the weekend, assuming I will not be going to Florida then. That depends on whether my mom has her procedure on Friday or it gets pushed off to a later date. Fingers crossed for it to go extremely well whenever it goes forward. Also, I wanted to thank all of you for your nice comments. I really appreciated your concern, and I know my mom did as well.

14 comments:

Nella said...

A ton of hugs and kisses from the westcoast my friend! Take care and one day at a time!

Roo said...

glad to hear that your mum is doing better and hopefully the procedure will go ahead as planned and make her all better....keep your chin up. Life throws us hurdles and we do get over them...or under them (if you are not fit like me LOL!)xx

Maree said...

Hope your Mum's procedure goes well. Your weekend break looks great. Very jealous as it's mid winter here in New Zealand!

Heather said...

We're all thinking positive thoughts for your mom. The part about the taxi driver reaching back and holding your hand was incredibly touching!

LJ said...

It's good to hear your mum's prognosis is so optimistic. It must be difficult to be at the north end of the country at times like these.

I also just wanted to say that I accidently discovered your blog last weekend and rewound it all the way back and read it from start to finish. I LOVED it.

Thanks so much for sharing your journey. And now that I am banded myself (five days), I had to go back to the beginning again and revist your first week to get tips.

Cheers

THE DASH! said...

So glad all is starting to sort with your mother. Good news.
You look like you have a halo in one of those pictures lol. Saint Catherine? Seriously, looking as beautiful as ever.

Dinnerland said...

Good luck to your mom on her procedure and I'm glad you had some down time in Fire Island.
As for the temporary weight gain-- it is hard to put on THAT MUCH weight in such a short time, so hang in there. Just go back to your regular eating habits and I'll bet the scale will return to normal and start dropping again soon.
Good for you for 'facing the music.' It is better to get on the scale and see the temporary 'damage' and get back on track than to let it get out of control. That's how you're so different now, right??

Jacquie said...

I have a proposal for you Catherine...I am here in FL so i will check in on your mom and you are in NY so you can check in on my mom!

I am so with you on the stress factor of being so far away when our parents are ill..I am so glad that your mom is doing better and will be even better than that with the procedure. Hugs and healthy vibes to you both!

Nicole said...

Sending a virtual hug your way!! And my thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom!

karen said...

That telling your brother not to come has not been working out for you - just let him make the trip next time.

Island Bandit said...

happy to hear Mom is on the mend. Sounds like you've been a great nurse for her!

And in those pics.... wow.... you look positively itty bitty Catherine. And radiant. Lovely! You give me hope and faith that I too will be there soon

Pamela E. Williams said...

I'm glad to know your mom is a better. I now how hard that can be to leave. As for the gain, stress will do that to you. I'm sure you will bounce back in no time.

Camille said...

That must have been awful having to leave, but it sounds like she got to the hospital in time and is on the mend. Best of luck to her this week. I truly hope all goes well and she is in and out of the hospital.

Last Option Atty said...

I am so behind on your blog! Glad to hear your Mom is doing a little better I will be praying for her!

I loved that picture the light looks great looks like a vacay ad! Stay strong and focused!!