Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Scar Attraction Revisited. . . Again

I noticed a while ago that my smallest scar has faded to the point that I can barely see it anymore. The big one (I had 2-incision surgery with Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey, Mexico) has faded a lot too, and it doesn't seem that noticeable anymore. For more than a year after my October 23, 2008 surgery date, it was still pretty red, as you can see from the April 2009 photo below. My doctor said that the bottom scar was "keloid" and that I might have been allergic to the stitches.

Click on the photo if you want to see a larger image. . or avoid clicking it if you don't!

Nonetheless, both scars have faded pretty well. I've got my "hernia surgery" excuse at the ready, in case anyone asks me about the scars and I don't feel like telling them that I had lap band surgery. I feel lucky that my port doesn't show, though if I lose more than 5 more pounds, I think it will stick out a little bit. It's definitely easier to feel, now that there is less fat surrounding it. I don't think there is going to be any way for me to avoid having someone I'm dating come across it eventually.
Unfortunately, I haven't thought of a good explanation for the port if I'm not ready to disclose the type of surgery I had. As of right now, my explanation will be "I had stomach surgery, and they put in some hardware that completely fixed the problem I was having." . . Followed by "I'll tell you about it some other time" if I'm pressed for more information. Does anyone else have a better way to deal with this? I could use some pointers!

OK, and for good measure, here is a bigger photo. It was interesting to me to go back to my March 6, 2010 post -- which was taken nine months and about nine pounds ago -- to see the difference in how my body looks with those few pounds off and nine months of serious workouts in. I'm going to post that photo below this one.
Photo from this morning:
Photo from March 6, 2010
(Nine Pounds and Nine Months Ago)

15 comments:

Angie Cummings said...

you look awesome Catherine... as do your scars. I can barely see my little laproscopic ones anymore either, and my port scar has faded to pretty normal color. And as of next week I'll be beautifully smooth like ya ;)

LDswims said...

Gives me hope that maybe mine might fade eventually, too. That is, of course, if they can get the "infection" under control/resolved. Seems to me that a lot of my "redness" at this point is because the "infection"...

You look absolutely amazing!

Thanks for sharing!!!

Island Bandit said...

screw the scars..... look at that nipped in waist and and flat tummy! You rock lady!!!!
As for how to explain the scars... no idea since i'm out in the open and find myself flashing people who are interested enough to ask. lol

Lap Band Gal said...

I am jealous of your smooth no-strechmarked belly :) Looking GREAT!!!

Sarah said...

Amazing how much 9 pounds of a difference makes!!! You are looking good my friend!

Amy W. said...

Damn you and your cute tummy. I want to connect the dots of your little freckles bc I am sure it would make a portrait of my face. Now wouldnt that be precious. I also think you should go with a better story...like you were stabbed while saving a puppy, an orphan, and a dolphin all at once. I think people would buy that!

I remember feeling you up in Chicago...I mean, feeling your port. Mine is always sticking out these days.

Maree said...

That scar is fading away to nothing (and so are you!). My scars are fantastic, which suprised me as usually I scar badly). I like Amy's suggestion about saving the dolphin/orphan/puppy. Or if it was a bad date you could say it was where the aliens put the probe - that's a good way to get rid of a guy!

DiZneDiVa said...

You have an incredibly sexy tummy... and I wouldn't even notice the scars if i wasn't looking for them... *M*

Amanda Kiska said...

Wow! I hope my scars fade that much.

I don't know what to suggest you say about the port. I think about that too sometimes.

Camille said...

Your tummy is so cute. Mine looks like a road map.

headin_to_mxico said...

Do you know how jealous you make the rest of us feel with that tight belly of yours? You and I started with the same BMI and amount of weight to lose; and, let me tell you, the skin on my tummy is soooo jacked up. It hangs to my Bajango now that Ive lost weight. Of course Im happy for you that you dont have to lift up folds of skin to shave your bakini line even if I am jealous. No tummy tucks in your future Lucky Gal!

Marie said...

You are so lucky - no stretch marks!!! You would never know you were overweight whatsover!! I got stretch marks as soon as I found out I was pregnant! Ha!

As far as what to tell someone -- not sure. I'm kind of in the dilemma now with someone I am dating. He hasn't said anything but I think eventually it will come up and I'm not sure what to say. Only one person knows about my surgery. He has noticed I eat very little at a time though and commented on it. I think it just depends on the type of relationship you have with someone. I will probably end up telling him if we continue dating and it looks like it will be a LTR.

Marie said...

Oh and I am definitely going to start working out after seeing your stomach! Definitely inspirational!!!! :)

Catherine55 said...

Amy, I love it! I'm going to use that one! Seriously.. nothing like a good, obviously fake reason to convey that I don't want to talk about it. Plus, that's hilarious! :)

Thanks for the nice feedback on my tummy. I don't know exactly why it is that I got lucky on the skin-shrink side. I know it has something to do with the fact that I was a lower BMI patient (37 at sugery), but I am sure other factors like losing slowly, genetics, and not being at my heaviest for more than a few years had something to do with it too. Whatever it is, I feel very grateful.

MLM said...

um, your stomach looks fantastic!! Really! Also, i'm sorry that you were disappointed by your friend..that just sucks, but I hope that you are feeling a bit better...stay warm in the cold..it is freezing!