Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wainscott Weekend

Last weekend, Steve and I went out to Wainscott with a group of friends to stay at one friend's house out there. Our friend has a really beautiful house with a pool (am so envious! Thank goodness he shares his house!). :) On Saturday, we wound up having a cocktail party to watch the Preakness, and a bunch of people came over to enjoy that with us -- I think we were about 15 or so people, then there were nine of us for dinner.


Post-Preakness Party...
For dinner, we grilled steak and swordfish steaks, had a gorgeous arugula salad, roasted tomatoes and asparagus. All of those foods (save for the steak, since once in a while, I get a bite that I can't chew enough and must ... er, discretely put in my napkin...) work just fine with the band. I can't eat that much of the salad, but can have enough to enjoy it and feel like I'm getting in some veggies. I really prefer family-style serving when I'm eating with people who don't know about my surgery (no one other than Steve knew among the Wainscott crew), since I can just take a small portion and eat most of what I put on my plate.


Prepping for dinner....

My band has been pretty easy to keep at a good fill level -- it's not so tight that I can't eat well, and not so loose that I eat too much. I've been lucky about that. I actually have a smaller balloon than most of you because I've got a 9.75 cc Inamed band (Inamed is now part of Allergan) with a 5 cc balloon. The Inamed band also is likely an older iteration of the band than most of our newer bandsters have. But it works really well for me, and I've been happy with it so far.


Cutting up the leftover roasted tomatoes to put in the eggs for breakfast... so delicious (just cut plum tomatoes in half length-wise, sprinkle some diced shallots, rosemary and a wee bit of sugar on them, and roast at 350 for around 30 minutes... so yummy.. and band friendly!)


Steve gets the eggs ready...


I loved Gen's comment on my last post about wearing white pants being a big NSV. I got my first pair -- ever -- last summer, and loved being able to wear them and feel good. This summer, my NSV is that I had to get a new pair because the ones from last year are too big! So, I am now wearing not only white pants... but white pants in a size 8! (OK, it's a Gap 8, but I'll take it!!) By the way, the Gap has the best white pants... with the bonus that they aren't that expensive, so you don't have to freak out when you spill something on them... like red wine... or sit on a raspberry that someone's gorgeous child accidentally left on your chair. (Both have happened to the new pair... thank God for Oxy! It gets out everything!) :)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Looks like a superb weekend, so much fun!

On the shopping trip, I used the shopper you recommended. She was really helpful, and delighted to hear that you had sent yet another person her way (she said you've sent two or three to her by now)!

I didn't mention the surgery and neither did she, although she must have seen my scars when I was changing.

Robin said...

Looks like fun. And as for white pants, when I was young I worked in an ice cream store. The store owner always wore white pants because she could bleach them to death to get out all the ice cream and sandwich spills.

Theresa said...

Looks like a wonderful weekend. I'm so happy for you!

Nora said...

So your white pants are a magnet for all things gross and pink(ish). Stay away from the bubble gum- even Oxy can't help you there:( Good call on roasting the tomatoes. I have so many to eat before we go away this weekend, and I cannot possibly consume that many tomato salads.

Steph said...

It sounds like you had a good time!! I just bought first pair of white pants last weekend. ever had tem before because I didn't want to look like the "Stay Puft Marshmallow Man". It is a wonderful NSV!!

Jacquie said...

Amen to Oxy! He cooks too? Now I'm jealous! My Steve only does the grilling....nada in the kitchen. I love Wainscott and really miss living on the East End of Long Island, especially this time of year. My sister and I rented a house in on the Outer Banks, NC in Duck in August so I don't even have a visit planned, but I suspect I will be making a quickie trip up there sometime before then!

Linda said...

Sounds like a great weekend. I hope you had the same great weather we had done here in MD. I was thinking the other day I wanted white pants or capris for summer. I'll check the Gap - not sure if I'm brave enough yet.

Marie said...

Definitely sounds like my kind of weekend!

Love white summer pants. Though I've been wearing mine for the last month or so! I even dared to wear white sandals the week before Memorial Day! LOL!