Thursday, December 4, 2008

Bandster Inferno!!

One of the things that, somehow, I managed to overlook before getting banded is that most people go through a phase -- commonly known as "bandster hell" -- during the time between their operation and their first fill. Personally, I prefer Bandster Inferno because, while evocative of the hell experience, it still conveys optimism that the whole thing could turn out to be as fun as a disco -- The Studio 54 of WLS!

All disco festiveness aside, this is a period -- that I had no idea would exist -- when I can eat whatever the heck I want (steak, bread, turkey, stuffing, rutabegas!), as long as I don't try to do so without chewing like a civilized person. So, after four disciplined weeks of liquids and mushies, at some point during weeks 4 and 5, there is time when most bandsters are on normal foods but have no restriction. This is still during the "healing" phase, so you're not supposed to be too tough on yourself. Nonetheless, it's six weeks after you let your body be cut open for WLS and not a whole lot of WL (weight loss) is happening -- or, if it is, it's with some serious struggle!

Anyway, in the interest of full disclosure, I just wanted to get this out in the open. Also, I still occasionally (maybe 3% of the time, if that) have some shoulder pain. Very annoying. I hope it's 100% cleared up shortly. Currently, it's nothing like it was after surgery, but it's still a bit painful and irksome.

Not to be a bummer with this post, but I'm hoping that I'll later feel like bandster inferno was the awkward adolescence of my post-band period. Here's to Tuesday's fill! :)

As an aside, I saw some very helpful posts about bandster inferno on lapbandtalk.com tonight -- from people who experienced this at first, but who are now near their goal weight. Oh, how I hope to be posting like that next year and helping other newbies!!

3 comments:

bugginbri said...

I'm with ya! I am still only down 20 lbs even after my first fill. I have another fill on Tuesday too. To be very honest, I did feel a difference after my first fill but not by much. I am hoping that this second fill makes a bigger difference in how much I can eat. I just keep struggling with 2 lbs. Up 2 lbs, down .5 lbs, up 1 lbs, down 2 lbs....this is getting old, quick!
And for the record, I still have shoulder pain too. It's not all the time but it seems to hurt the worst when I yawn. UGH! I checked up on it at Lapbandtalk and lots of people said they still have it three years after their procedure! That freaked me out a bit. Some people said that its worse when they are full or when they are hungry. I hope this goes away!

Catherine55 said...

20 lbs is amazing though! Congratulations! I hear you on the struggle. Intersting that we both still have a little shoulder pain. I hope it goes away for both of us ASAP!

suede said...

I'm about 4 weeks post op and in bandster hell. However I don't really struggle. I do my protein shakes, soy drinks, eggs, nuts, and soft meats. GOod amount of potatoes. Staying away from bread entirely. I do like my peanut butter cups, but don't feel too guilty. Wondering if I should even bother getting a fill. Losing 1-2 lbs/wk is ok by me, as no one knows I have the band and I don't want them suspecting. :-)