Saturday, January 10, 2009

Third Fill

I went in for my fourth post-op visit on Friday and had my third fill. My doctor's nurse (a guy) did the fill this time -- and it was really unpleasant. He was just way too rough and I left feeling sore and manhandled. He kept pressing on my port before putting in the needle, and I let him know that was hurting me! Then, he didn't get the needle in properly and we had to do it again.

By that point, I was THISCLOSE to refusing to let him do it and saying I'd wait for my doctor (who is a total pro), but I felt bad doing that because he was nice (personality, not port-prodding-wise) and I didn't want to get him in trouble. Still, this is my body and I'm scared that he might do something to mess up my port. Next time, I'm taking no prisoners! I'm going to insist (nicely) on having my doctor do it.

So, you might remember that after my first fill, I went back and there was 1 cc missing from the 1.7 cc the doctor said that she put in the band. Well, this time, the exact right amount was still in my band (2 ccs), so I don't have a leak -- whew! I had Nurse RoughStuff put in an additional .2 ccs -- in retrospect, I probably should have gotten a little more. I wanted the band to be a weeee bit tighter and .2 doesn't seem to have made any big difference.

On the weight loss side, I'm still wrestling with the same 2 lbs, which seems to be the norm for me. But I'm still nearly 20 lbs down! I'm really, really hoping to be at least 25 down by month's end, and I think that's a totally reasonable & realistic goal.

In other news, I saw two movies this weekend -- Defiance and Slumdog Millionaire. Both were really good -- great stories and fantastic acting. I definitely recommend them both.

2 comments:

Inspiration said...

I know what you mean by a nurse being rough with your port. I have had this experience before and learned that it's my body and I am paying for this service, so I have the right to refuse someone. The center I go to has about 5 different physician assistants who do the fills. I request certain ones and if the wrong one walks in (someone who I had a bad experience with) then I politely ask them to get "so and so" because that's who I requested. 25lbs sounds like a great goal and totally achievable. Good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

I too would refuse for that nurse to touch me again . By them being rough w/ you and espically poking you over and over again they are putting your band at risk. At the very least risking causing a leak. I would not let that man touch me again !
I also would let the doctor know what an unpleasant experience it was and how badly he hurt you . Lots of times the docs have no clue what is going on . Its their name , and their "band" reps on the line so they tend to like to know .
I would not let anyone who did not hit my port the first time touch me ever again . My doc does all my fills and I dont think i could go somewhere that didnt have a doc do it . being self pay there are just too many risks for complications that i cant afford.
Sorry you had such a bad experience.
Mindy