When this guy went by, I cheered "Way to go 'I hate running' guy!! I hate running, too!" -- which elicited a big smile, even though he was on his 25th mile!

On Sunday, I went to cheer for four friends (including Adam & Erica -- the couple of the wedding where I saw PP in July) who were running the NYC Marathon. They all did great -- finished in good time, and enjoyed finally seeing the fruition of all that training! We had a great group of people out for the race, and cheered for so many people who went by (many with their names on their shirts. I also saw a few other people at the race who I hadn't seen during the past year. It was really nice to receive a lot of compliments on how I am looking these days, and to feel good about seeing old friends in general.


It was interesting to talk to Sharon and get her impression on my weight loss. One really positive thing that she said was that she thought I was thinner -- or at least more fit -- than at any time she has known me since high school.
But -- and I think a lot of you will know what I mean by this -- she did refer to the band as taking "the easy way" and, even though it actually IS the easy way, compared with normal dieting, I bristled at this a bit. I also got the impression that she felt I was being dishonest when I didn't tell people about my surgery when they asked how I'd lost all of the weight. I used my standard "portion control and exercise" explanation -- which is absolutely true. And, regardless of what anyone else may or may not think, I still firmly believe that I have zero obligation whatsoever to share information about my very personal -- and private -- decision to have surgery with anyone I don't feel like telling.

15 comments:
I agree with you 100% Catherine - you have no obligation to tell anyone! I told exactly ONE friend. And my husband, kids, and mom. Thats it. SOOOOOO glad I did it this way. In part to avoid dealing with that "easy way out" attitude, and for many other reasons. It is a private matter, you are right!
A to the men, Gen! I totally agree with both of you on this issue. Only two people know about my WLS.
I love the pics btw!!! Your comments about the backpack guy were freakin hilarious!
I lived right around mile 18 for years-- that is 85th and 1st, right?
I agree that you don't have to be obliged to tell anyone anything-- my sister was trying to convince me that I ought to 'tell' and I haven't even had the surgery yet.
The band is hardly an easy way out-- it is a way out, when there isn't another way to work it out.
Screw the haters. (Sorry.)
Pfft only someone who hasn't done it the so called 'easy' way would make a comment like that. I like your standard answer, I use it myself. It's a private issue and one you should only address if and when YOU feel it needs be.
Loved the pics!
As part of the choir, I agree completely! I've had a few (very few) people use the "easy way out" comment, and my response to them was, "Yes, it was easy. Easy to make the decision to live." Usually that shuts them up!!! And it isn't the band making you exercise, or make wise choices. UGH. She could have just left it at you're doing great! Oh well... sometimes friends don't see things the way we do!
I have to join in with everyone else about this one..I have told very 6 people about my lapband sugery. Those who needed to know why I was missing work for a few days and other committments got the "I am having a hiatal hernia repaired" which is true; they did a repair while they were in there. I told my future mother in law and after explaining how it worked, she said "I thought that was just taking the easy way out but I understand now". I explained to her I still have to make good choices and still have to exercise and work hard and have willpower. Plus have a major surgery, nothing easy about that!! You are totally justified in your way of thinking.
Okay...I swear I'm not trying to judge your friend, but that is just CRAP! She should support your decision regardless. How is going under the knife, going under general anesthesia, the easy way out? You know that I am a teller, and I told everyone about my surgery. But that was MY decision. We are each entitled to handle this journey however we want. Until someone has walked in our shoes (sorry for the cliche) they just don't know what is easy and what is hard. I'm so proud and thrilled for you Catherine. You have accomplished amazing things, huge weight loss, running a 5k, getting over that damn wall, confronting a past love. You're doing amazing things and only you should be able to judge you! GRRRR. xoxo
Thanks you guys! I really appreciate your support on this. Dinnerland, great eye! We were on the NW corner of 90th & 1st for the first stop, then at Central Park's East Drive and around 66th St. for the 2nd one.
Catherine
I saw the marathon near my apartment in Brooklyn for the first time this year. What a powerful amazing experience just to watch it and see that swell of runners filling the street for as far as the eye can see! I got pics and have been meaning to post about it. The costumes rock as does that feeling of community with everyone out there cheering the runners on. And I would (and do) bristle with that easy way out comment. Especially from a close friend and someone you chose to share with. I'm a bit off the wagon right now so I know all too well that if you don't make the right choices and work the band, you wont just keep on losing weight!
Hey, that "I hate running" guy seems kinda cute hu? I woulda said somthin to him too! ;) And I totally feel you on that friend situation. My very best friend in the world who I work out with, see at least three times a week and have been BFF's since JR is the kind of person who also speaks her mind. She has also been 130 lbs her entire life. Thats why I didnt tell her. It hurts when someone you love is so tactless. Even if thats how she felt she should have kept it to herself. I know if I told my BFF she would say the same thing.
I agree with your decision to only tell a few. I myself have only told a few people as well, people I trust. And that's it. It's our decision to make. I am sorry your friend hurt you this way. You have accomplished so much, don't let that comment diminish what you have done!
Great pics! I agree, your business is your business. And I DO NOT agree that it is the EASY way out. How easy is it for any of us to decide to have surgery!?!? That irritates me. Anyway, regardless of how you did it, you are doing AWESOME and I can't believe people have the intestinal fortitude to utter those words! Keep up the great work!
Catherine- you have done a magnificent job and I have to say it sucks that you still get that reception from some. I got the same crap from my sister when I told her, but I said screw it and tighten up my sneakers and headed to the eliptical machine.
You know that this is the right thing for you and you are rocking it !!!
That marathon looks cool! Do you have any plans on trying to run it next year? I'm sure you're fit enough b/c you look great! you could even dress up by running it in pink tights w/ a tutu and angel wings or something. That's cute! And I agree that it's persoanl you shouldn'tHAVe to tell anyone b/c it really IS about portion control and exercise, you just have an extra tool other people don't have.
Sure, LeAnn -- it is Weight Loss Surgery with the Adjustable Gastric Band. Here is a link to the Amazon page:
http://www.amazon.com/Weight-Loss-Surgery-Adjustable-Gastric/dp/1600940021/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257342649&sr=8-1
Post a Comment