On Saturday, my friend Marjorie and I headed out to Brooklyn to attend another event by A Razor, A Shiny Knife. That group is an underground supper club headed by the very innovative Michael Cirino, who loves food and is very into the science behind cooking. We started out with lots of gorgeous, fresh ingredients, of course!

Most of you know that I really love to cook (and that hasn't changed at all since I was banded), and it was so much fun to get out there, roll up my sleeves and prepare a wonderful meal with about 20 other like-minded people! (Interesting observation. . no one there was more than a few pounds overweight. . . well, at least before the meal anyway. .) :)
The scene. .

Hare terrine. . this was a terrine made with rabbit (hare) meat, pork belly, heavy cream, pistachios, walnuts and other lovely ingredients. . . then wrapped in bacon (what?!) I only had a tiny bite, but it was dee-lish!
We made all sorts of wonderful things. . . ravioli stuffed with ricotta cheese that we made, and we also made the pasta for it. Here is me, kneading the pasta dough. . .

On the right. . . a big bubbling pot of tomato wonderfulness. . . into which we put lots of chicken and pork, until it just melted off the bone. This became the sauce for our ravioli. . . OMG, was it good!!

I'll refrain from putting up photos of every course, but it was a really amazing meal. I was glad that it was served family-style (unlike the last Razor event I attended), since that let me just take a small portion of the things I wanted. For some reason, my band wasn't that tight on Saturday, so I was able to eat a fair amount compared to normal. But, I didn't overdo it too badly, and -- SHOCKINGLY -- the scale wasn't even up the next day.
I was glad that my band cooperated -- I didn't even get stuck one time that day, I felt like I was really able to enjoy everything, and I don't think anyone thought anything was unusual about the portions I took.
Here is A (who made the terrine) with some incredible beef that was sliced thinly, then folded up around some grated truffle. Each little beef packet was tied with a single chive. Two were put into each of our bowls, and when they were served, hot broth was ladled over . . just hot enough to cook the meat. Wow. That was amazing, and the beef was so tender that I was able to eat it without a problem.
This cracked me up. . . the bottle says "DON'T F*ING COOK WITH THIS. ITALIAN SWEAT, BLOOD AND TEARS." Nice!
At the end, we did a Secret Santa exchange (we all brought little gifts with us), and I wound up getting three sized metal mixing bowls -- something I can always use!
We wound up being at the kitchen from around noon until about 10:30 p.m. What a great day, great meal, and a great group of people. I will definitely be doing some more events like this!
Here is me with my Secret Santa. . 

13 comments:
You look AMAZING in the bread picture! Wow...do you see your collarbones? Thanks for sharing!
you write a fun blog. i always look forward to reading it. you have many interests and you pursue them. bravo!
You really are gorgeous, as Amy said - you look amazing! Thanks for posting the food porn, I always appreciate it :) BTW, I had a great time Sunday at brunch - can't wait to get together again!
Look how stinkin tiny you are!!! You are absolutely gorgeous! It looks like you had so much fun. I'll have to look into finding something like that out here in Seattle!
Ohh, does that look like fun! BF took me to Daniel two weeks ago for my "last supper" and that was amazing.
All I can say is - YOU LOOK so THIN - amazingly thin - not too thin - just perfect. I am so happy for you!
Catherine - I'm with the girls - my first thought in the picture of you kneading the dough was "Oh My God... she's gone! Where did she go?!?!?" and how absolutely beautiful and comfortable you looked there!!! It sounds like a lot of fun - I have a friend who would LOVE doing that!
Excuse me while I pick up my jaw off the floor miss Catherine!!! Holy crap you are miss skinny mini. Sorry to be all juvenile and focused on looks but your collarbones... I want mine back!!!!!
You give me so much hope.
I am also so relieved to know that you still cook and enjoy food. I am a total foodie. Good to know that you can still enjoy life's pleasures (AND BE HEALTHY) with the band.
Vanessa
I had no idea it was a 10 hour affair! I've been looking at Sunday Suppers which is also in Brooklyn. http://sunday-suppers.blogspot.com/
Another chef started a private brunch club, but it's just her in her tiny apt in Chinatown which could get really weird!
I also love to cook and am thinking of starting a food blog, but it often feels at odds with the band. I have to find a balance.
Thanks for posting this! And great meeting you last weekend!
Heather
gettingbacktoskinnymini.blogspot.com
Got your blog info from Dinnerland's blog post earlier today. It's totally delightful. And it's great to see how you've been so successful. I've also had a lot of success with the lapband surgery - it's been a totally positive experience for me - am at my goal - actually, 18 lbs below my goal. Hope you'll skip over to my blog and check it out.
OOOH this looks like my kind of day! This is definitely something I need to find here in Pittsburgh.
Like everyone else--I have to tell you that you look so petite and sweet in the bread kneading picture! The other day someone actually used the word "petite" in describing me and if she wasn't eating a bacon burger slathered with onions and dripping mayo and ketchup, I would have kissed her like she has never been kissed before! (and I'm not even gay!)!! Don't you just love that word--petite????
Your blog is simply delightful!
Oward!
Judi
Hi catherine...I just finished reading your blog from woe to go and have to say how amazing you are and what an inspiration you are. You look fabulous. I was just banded on Monday in Syd Australia and found your blog through Dash.
Would be I be able to add your blog to my sidebar? Also I am interested in making some of your recipes and was wondering was Cilantro was?
Thanks and keep up the great work
Sally
I've spent the last hour scrolling through your blog and I'd just like to say, damn, you're one hot piece.
By the way, what's this site about?
Post a Comment