During my pre-op time, just like Yana (and just like nearly every Bandster I've encountered), I went through a period of questioning why I was doing the surgery. I thought -- why am I going to have myself cut for this? Why can't I just do it on my own? What if I fail at this? What if I have complications??
-
If you've read my earlier posts, you'll know that I made a Pro/Con list to help me with these doubts, and that looking at it really helped to make the decision clear for me. I even took the list to the hospital with me, and had it right up until I was wheeled into the OR. I also made a Post-Op Plan for Success, listing all of the things I was going to do after surgery to help make sure that I wouldn't fail. I found both of these exercises to be a big help, since I really thought about my decision in a concrete way (i.e. on paper) and the pro/con list showed me that my "pros" really outweighed my "cons." And, in retrospect, my cons turned out not to be that big of a deal.

The diagram above is one that I found on Lise the Loser's blog before I had my surgery. It shows a host of the adverse physical and mental consequences of obesity. And, it also drove the point home to me that the risks associated with my surgery were probably much less than the risks associated with keeping on the course I was on. I found a lot of comfort in this, and I hope that any Bandsters-to-Be who read this will, too.

11 comments:
I remember seeing this, either on your or Lise's blog, and it really is a great reminder now of all the right reasons we did this. I am not done yet, and don't consider myself perfect by any means... But except for this stupid stupid cold I feel so HEALTHY now!
Good post!
I did a pro/con list, too. Same thing, pros outweighed the cons by about 3:1.
I think you're right, seeing it in black and white really solidifies the decision and surprisingly it isn't that big of a deal- when you compare it to say, gastric bypass or even heart surgery. It's kind in the "surgery lite" side of surgery.
Love the diagram! Even though I have been recently banded it helps to reinforce the goals during this prefill time! I don't think those doubts really go away right after the surgery. They tend to sneak back in during times of weakness - at least for me (even though I am really happy with my decision). Plus I may pass it on to others who have questions on what can happen.
I agree, it's useful to see this post band too. I had no idea weight loss helped migraines! Excellent!
Perfect timing for me...5 days out. Thanks!
I wrote on your previous post about organizing a " Blogger Bandster Convention" too, any thoughts?
THANK YOU!
Catherine, I think you know that yours was one of the first blogs that I found about band surgery. And I remember thinking that this intelligent, clearheaded woman had outlined all of my issues, and had made the decision to do it...maybe I could have the courage to do it too?
I just re-read both of your old posts, and I plan to sit down with a pen and paper instead of a computer and make a list of what I will do to help me succeed with my band. Maybe I'll make a pro/com list too, despite the surgery being six days away! ;)
Thanks for grounding me a bit. Hope to see you on the flip side!
I must be the only one who did not second guess my decision. The second I knew I could get the surgery and pay for it I was ready to go! Not a single doubt in my mind. I knew for sure that I had tried everything and that I was at my all time highest weight, with hypertension and not great blood sugar, plus a family history of diabetes. This was my last chance, and I knew it. So glad I did this!
Thanks for that chart! I wonder what happened to Lise?
I agree with Gen for all the same reasons.
I never once second guessed myself once I made the decision to do the Surgery.
I had already lost 2 Cousins to Diabetes (one even lost both her legs & was on a double transplant list for Kidney & Pancreas.
And I have a really big family history of Heart Disease, etc. so I believe it was the only decision I could make.
oh Catherine you are awesome :-) I wish I was committed and really thought about the band before hand but I will be doing my own plan tonight - only a year late but once again that's for the positive thoughts :-)
Great illustration.. I need to print that one out and post it as a strong reminder of benefits. Thanks again
That is a great picture and I think it really helps!!!
Post a Comment