Update: One of my friends just sent me her photos from the party, so I've added a few new photos to the post!
My dear friend, Don, just turned 40, so I threw a dinner party for him last night. We had a bit of a disconnect about how many people he was going to invite, so we wound up with 12 acceptances, although I only have chairs and room at the table for 8! Still, we found a solution and it was a lot of fun!
Photo of me & Don -- not that great . . but my face looks so thin that I had to post it -- freaky!! I look like a teeny girl!!
Photo of me & Don -- not that great . . but my face looks so thin that I had to post it -- freaky!! I look like a teeny girl!!
Our friend Thu is clearly making an important point here! Don looks camera-ready though!
Instead of placemats, I bought some festive wrapping paper (from K-mart!) and cut it into placemat-sized rectangles. I used some of the paper as napkin rings as well. You can see that above, and in the first photo.
In the photo below, you can see how we dealt with the guest-overflow! We put 7 people at the main table (only 11 wound up at the party) and four at the kiddie . . er, tatami-style. . table! Then, we switched up the seating for each course so that no one got stuck on the floor for too long.

Another wrinkle was that most of the guests are vegetarian, and I had never cooked a completely vegetarian meal for guests before. As you might know from my earlier post, I was really not sure what to make! Thanks for everyone who gave me suggestions -- that was so helpful!
I went with this really delicious salad that had arugula, shaved parmesan, grape tomatoes and pine nuts. I made the dressing from olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. YUM!

For the entree, I made two wild mushroom lasagne. One of them is shown below. Honestly, this was really delicious and I was able to make it in advance so that I had very little to do once the guests arrived. I also served garlic bread and, of course, lots of nice red wine!

For dessert, I made a pastel de tres leches, which turned out so nicely, but I didn't get any good photos of it! Darn! I also served fresh berries to go with, or to enjoy solo.
Update! One of our friends took some good photos of the cake! Am adding them in here! Why do I look like I have a double chin?!

All in all, the dinner was a lot of fun, people had a great time, and I think Don really enjoyed celebrating his b-day in this way! One thing that was interesting was that I hadn't seen a few of the guests since the last dinner I had for Don, which was in the summer, just a short while after I started Boot Camp. It was nice to find out that people really noticed how much more fit I look now, and that I had shed quite a few pounds. NSV!! (I have to take my NSVs. . not having any SVs lately!!)


All in all, the dinner was a lot of fun, people had a great time, and I think Don really enjoyed celebrating his b-day in this way! One thing that was interesting was that I hadn't seen a few of the guests since the last dinner I had for Don, which was in the summer, just a short while after I started Boot Camp. It was nice to find out that people really noticed how much more fit I look now, and that I had shed quite a few pounds. NSV!! (I have to take my NSVs. . not having any SVs lately!!)

17 comments:
You look fantastic Catherine! Looks like the dinner was a success. What a great thing to do for your friend. I really liked your idea for the place mats too.
You look like a skinny girl cos you are!!!!! What a great pic xxx
Love your menu. That food looks amazing.
You look great! Those food pics made me sooo hungry :P
Before you even said anything about the placemats I was eyeing them. Did you just put the wrapping paper down as is or did you put backing on it of some kind? I love this idea!
You look like a little skinny thing in that pic!!! Also I LOVE the place mats.
Thanks you guys! Amy, it's just plain wrapping paper. I put it down the night before and weighted the corners so that it would lay flat. Worked great!
I too loved the placemats, but you know what I kept thinking the entire time I was reading your post?
This was "Dons Party".
I don't know what era you are from, but Don's Party was huge in my teens/twenty's.
Anyway, thought I would share...lol
Trace
Wow, I am impressed with your creativity and 'Martha Stewartness'-- funny, when we lived in an apt, I was more all about entertaining- now that we have a house, we do alot of pizza, bagels, paper plates and/ or ordering in!!
Who knows: now that I'm banded-- maybe my inner gourmand will come back and want to cook fabulous tasty and healthy meals for guests again... :-)
You throw a kick-ass party, Catherine! Looks like everyone had a fantastic time. Food looked sooooo good, especially the salad. And you look happy and fabulously skinny!
It all looks awesome!
YOU LOOK AMAZING! Wow...
I Love the wrapping paper placemat idea!!!
Yum - You throw a lovely party and look great to boot :)
Great solution for the overflow guests! I like switching up seats so no one got stuck on the floor, kinda like Bunco when the winners get to change tables! Lovely party.
WOW!! You are a great entertainer!
Are you able to eat the lasanga? That is something I haven't tried yet.
You look like a skinny girl because you are a skinny girl :)
you rock!
http://betterbanded.blogspot.com/
Yum yum and yum...I love how you entertain
Yup -- lasagne isn't a problem for me as long as I chew well. Pasta works fine for me, but I can't eat all that much before I'm full!
You need to host a party for us!!! lol Wonderful looks like lots of fun and wonderful food!!! You are awesome!
Post a Comment